Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SLDrone ( )
Date: February 04, 2013 09:07PM

All these years later, I'm still in love with Karen Carpenter. 30 years ago today Karen's heart failed due to anorexia and she passed. What is your favorite Carpenters song? I think I'd have to go with Merry Christmas Darling or Our Day Will Come.

How about you? http://youtu.be/7ba8XDbh2FA

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: February 04, 2013 09:13PM

Hi, guy. Good to see you. And yes, I still miss Karen Carpenter. I was at college in the 1970s--BYU, in fact--when the Carpenters were a big deal. Their music brings back great memories of canoodling with girlfriends with the Carpenters playing in the background.

Posted by: cwpenrose ( )
Date: February 05, 2013 11:22AM

OMG! I went to the Karen Carpenter concert at BYU in the early 70's - can't remember exactly when it was. I was uber TBM then but was horrified to hear that BYU had to approve all their songs before they performed. Heaven forbid they should lead us all down the path of destruction. Maybe that was the beginning of the end for me.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: February 04, 2013 09:21PM

Not sure if this is the name, but I love this one (and many others)--After Long Enough of Being Alone (Only Yesterday--I looked it up.)

AND I forgot--"Hide away"--and "One Love."

These 3 songs have huge significance in my life.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2013 09:25PM by cl2.

Posted by: toto ( )
Date: February 04, 2013 09:24PM

First songs that popped into my head:

Sing
We've Only Just Begun
Rainy Days and Mondays

As an alto, I couldn't sing with Barbra, but I loved singing along with Karen; awesome memories from my youth. RIP.

Posted by: saviorself ( )
Date: February 04, 2013 11:40PM

+1

I think that Karen Carpenter is the all time best female vocalist. Such a tragedy that she died so young.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2013 11:44PM by saviorself.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: February 04, 2013 09:40PM

Her Ave Maria is one of the best.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2013 09:40PM by Devoted Exmo.

Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: February 04, 2013 09:46PM

my best friend Karen Anne carpenter. 3/2/50-2/4/83. I see you when I'm dead!!! miss you

Posted by: scooter ( )
Date: February 05, 2013 02:30PM

I just don't remember her dying on my wedding day.

guess we were doing other things.

but yeah, our 30th anniversary was yesterday.

Posted by: puff the magic dragon ( )
Date: February 04, 2013 09:52PM

I can remember my mom and dad listening to her over and over when she passed away. I can't remember her titles, but does "I'm on top of the world, looking down on creation....... sound familiar?

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: February 04, 2013 10:00PM

Her lovely voice was one of a kind.

Posted by: SaxGirl07 ( )
Date: February 04, 2013 10:02PM

I sing Alto, so I love singig alog with may of the Carpenter's songs.

Its hard to think that its been 30 years since she passed. Her death was such a loss to the music world.

I loved the song "Goodbye to Love"

Posted by: momjeans ( )
Date: February 04, 2013 10:14PM

Superstar.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: February 04, 2013 10:13PM

I remember Karen Carpenter's voice. "Superstar" and "Rainy Days and Mondays." A lot of her music was kind of syrupy, and it was very uncool to like her. But somehow her records sold millions. The two songs I listed above were pretty powerful.

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: February 04, 2013 10:45PM

of course I was in grade school then, I'll have to dig out some other Carpenters songs and see if it still stands up. I had such a pre-pubescent crush on Richard.

Posted by: mrtranquility ( )
Date: February 04, 2013 11:02PM

You can find quite a few examples of her live singing on YouTube and she is ALWAYS singing perfectly in tune. And she was a rare find in that she was a chick drummer, and a good one to boot. She puts a lot of these current lip-syncing divas to shame with her level of musicianship.

If you're not an out and out Carpenters fan, KC is probably still a guilty pleasure. Some of their music has a layer of melted cheddar on it, but there's still plenty of meat in that rich alto voice. She is the absolute master of her style of singing.

Posted by: Cathy ( )
Date: February 04, 2013 11:15PM

Agreed. I listen to their music constantly even now. Richard was a master arranger and Karen's voice had no peer. One of the greatest groups ever. Too many favorites to list.

Posted by: Cathy ( )
Date: February 04, 2013 11:16PM

I remember exactly where I was when I heard the news - working at a Long Beach print shop. My apartment was just a few miles from her parents' home where she died.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: February 04, 2013 11:35PM

After Karen died the realtor had a hard time selling her house since it didn't have a kitchen.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: February 05, 2013 04:23AM

I remember buying her album back in the 70's. Her picture was on the side.

All evil jokes aside, I've been listening to her all day. She died on my 13th b-day.

Posted by: SaxGirl07 ( )
Date: February 05, 2013 09:07AM

That is a really inappropriate joke. I don't believe in speaking ill of the dead. Plus, Karen had a disease-she didn't choose to have anorexia. Please don't make jokes like that anymore.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: February 05, 2013 01:50AM

We used to sing their songs in music class when I was in elementary school, and my friends and I used to sing them with southern accents.

Posted by: Demon of Kolob ( )
Date: February 05, 2013 01:55AM

What is your favorite Carpenters song?

Sailing on the tide

Beechwood 4-5789

Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft

Posted by: AFT ( )
Date: February 05, 2013 05:23AM

1.Goodbye to Love

2.We've only just begun (which was written for a Crocker Bank Commercial!).

3.Top of the World

4.Bless the Beasts and the Children

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: February 05, 2013 09:34AM

After all these years, I still miss her. Who knows what gems would have come out of her?

Posted by: Not logged in (but ususally Duffy) ( )
Date: February 05, 2013 09:44AM

I miss her too. Her voice was SO beautiful! I love singing with her records.

Back in the early 70s there was a hotel near us that had an ice skating rink in it. My friend and I used to go there on many Sunday afternoons (my pre-LDS days of course). One of the best things about this rink was that they played almost ALL Carpenters music during the skating sessions. It was so good to skate to!

Posted by: shakinthedust ( )
Date: February 05, 2013 09:55AM

I was also at the Y in the 70s when she was popular. I sang "We've Only Just Begun" at my brother's wedding. She was great!

Posted by: DeAnn ( )
Date: February 05, 2013 11:24AM

30 years? Really?

I agree with everyone who remembers her as a great vocalist.

I loved all her songs.

Posted by: Mtnmarty ( )
Date: February 05, 2013 12:54PM

"For All We Know".

I drove with my parents from Idaho to Disneyland in 1976 and listened to the Carpenters "A Song For You" album dozens of times.

The Bee Gees replaced the Carpenters as the group you "weren't supposed to like" but did for me. Barbara Streisand and Barry Gibb's "Guilty" approaches the Karen Carpenter level of charm but there is no voice like Karen Carpenter's.

Posted by: Dave in Hollywood ( )
Date: February 05, 2013 02:07PM

At the time, there was no more important voice in the world than Karen Carpenter. I bought the Singles LP (yes that's right) as my very first album ever. I listened to it nonstop for days after coming home from middle school.

I still think Karen has an amazing voice and the only reason they were successful is because the aching sadness in her voice cut through the upbeat often cheesy arrangements, particularly towards the end.

Several classic albums: Close To You, Carpenters, A Song For You, Horizon. I wish she had recorded more but I'm just grateful for what exists.

Her backup singer said she never heard a bad note come from Karen in all the years she worked with her. Perfection really, and I think the perfectionism is what eventually killed her. She's almost an honorary Mormon really.

Posted by: PinkPoodle ( )
Date: February 05, 2013 03:21PM

According to Wikipedia, she once dated Alan Osmond!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.