Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: happilynotmormon ( )
Date: February 05, 2013 06:19PM

I'm wondering if anyone knows what the best "anti mormon" books are that were at one time available from Deseret Book? Was In Sacred Loneliness or Quest for the Gold Plates ever available from DB? I know I read a bunch a while back, but now I can't remember which ones used to be available from Deseret Book.

I know while I was starting to doubt tscc I found books that used to be available from Deseret Book to be less threatening. I'm trying to remember which of those I read first for a friend. Thank you!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: February 05, 2013 06:19PM

Posted by: Paint ( )
Date: February 05, 2013 06:30PM

I liked Mormon Enigma. I could never understand why that book was a problem for the tscc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2013 06:30PM by luvcake.

Posted by: Mormoney ( )
Date: February 05, 2013 06:53PM

Grant Palmer's book I believe was. An Insider's View

Posted by: prefan84 ( )
Date: February 05, 2013 08:24PM

I gave my dad a copy of "An Insider's View" as I too had heard that it was once sold at Deseret Book. He called his friend who was/is some sort of VP or higher up at Deseret Book. According to his friend, it was never sold at Deseret Book. Long story short, my dad never read the book.

Rather than actually read the book and examine the evidence, most mormons would rather just see if it is church approved. Brainwashed much?

Posted by: sistersalamander ( )
Date: February 05, 2013 08:18PM

I think some of the most damning books are the ones produced by the Church: "Teachings of Joseph Smith," "Journal of Discourses," "The Miracle of Forgiveness," and anything by BKP. You can still get most of these at DB, but they're now heavily edited and redacted versions that omit most of the really crazy stuff.

Nowadays, with TSCC distancing itself from eternal progression/godhood, American Garden of Eden, blacks and the curse of Cain, Native Americans having Hebrew blood, polygamous prophets and apostles, Masonry, and temple weirdness, just about any LDS book written before 1990 is a great source of "anti-Mormon" information.

That said, DB has gone on a massive whitewash campaign. You can't even buy "Twilight" there any more.

Posted by: Just browsing ( )
Date: February 05, 2013 08:33PM

Journal of Discourses --26 volumes

The Way to Perfection Joseph Fielding Smith

If you read all of those, you will not recognize the Mormon Church of today

Jb

Posted by: pale&delightsometimes ( )
Date: February 05, 2013 08:34PM

David O McKay and the Rise of Modern Mormonism

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: February 05, 2013 09:02PM

first edition of mormon doctrine.

Posted by: tig ( )
Date: February 07, 2013 02:06PM

Mormonism and the negro

Posted by: badseed ( )
Date: February 07, 2013 02:18PM

Posted by: badseed ( )
Date: February 07, 2013 02:18PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2013 02:18PM by badseed.

Posted by: nickname ( )
Date: February 07, 2013 02:41PM

The Book of Abraham is the best anti-Mormon book I've red yet!

Rough Stone Rolling has some interesting bits that most Mormons don't know about Joseph Smith. It talks about the Kinderhook Plates, JS sneaking visits to his polygamous "wives" behind Emmma's back, and some other gems here and there. It is written from a highly pro-Mormon point of view, so you have to be willing to come to your own conclusions over the author's obvious bias.

Posted by: bezoar ( )
Date: February 07, 2013 03:35PM

I went into Deseret Book once and asked if they had "Blood of the Prophets." It's the account of the Mountain Meadows Massacre that most forcefully asserts that Brigham Young ordered the massacre. I asked for it just to see what sort of response I'd get. (Embarassment, denial?) The actually had it in stock and had two copies on the shelf. This was not too long after the book came out, so I imagine by now someone at DB has read it and ordered it pulled from the shelves.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: February 07, 2013 03:50PM

I got my first copy of Mormon Enigma from the BYU Bookstore. I also got Orson Pratt's "The Seer" there. There was another book there called Unpublished Revelations by Fred Collier, whom I think was a fundamentalist.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.