Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ElderRigdon ( )
Date: February 05, 2013 07:30PM

Okay, so we haven't been to church in 5 or 6 six years, we don't want to be bothered with it anymore. It is such obvious nonsense and actually kind of embarrassing to try and believe. We just quietly walked away and didn't make a big deal about it. Of course, no one has dared to ask us WHY we left. The truth is, we studied our way out of the church.

Anyway, about 6 months ago or so two gentlemen show up on the doorstep announcing they are our home teachers. DW tells them we don't want home teachers. See you later, bye.

Time goes by...I get AN EMAIL!!! I don't know where they got my email address but it says this is your monthly spiritual message from your home teacher! Attached is a lame message from Uchtdorf about missionary work.

Now, this is fairly innocuous but come on. Now they are sending to my email address? WTH??? Where did they get it?

I think I will put it in my spam folder.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: February 05, 2013 07:33PM

Reply each month with this is your "monthly logical message" from your home teachee.

Then send interesting bits of info showing the falsities of the church and why its rediculous to believe in mormonism.

Posted by: dogeatdog ( )
Date: February 05, 2013 09:15PM

Definitely this! Send them your own 'spiritual message'!

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: February 05, 2013 07:34PM

...you can send him thought provoking messages.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: February 05, 2013 07:35PM

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: February 05, 2013 07:34PM

Good idea.

Posted by: The exmo formerly known as Br. Vreeland ( )
Date: February 05, 2013 07:35PM

Especially the exciting stuff. I don't get as much of that as I used to but at least a few a day. That should be enough.

Posted by: srena not logged in ( )
Date: February 05, 2013 07:37PM

And what is the purpose? Meetings, the Ensign, etc. Still aren't enough? Or is this mostly a way to keep members checking up on each other?

Posted by: nonamekid ( )
Date: February 05, 2013 10:41PM

Visiting teachers are women from the RS.
Home teachers are priesthood holders.

Posted by: Surrender Dorothy ( )
Date: February 06, 2013 03:20AM

Plus HT's visit and give a lesson to the entire family--men and women and kiddos (if you can keep the kids from abandoning ship to "go to the bathroom" during the visit and never coming back).

VT's only visit the woman. Not the kids, and certainly not the husband. Pffft. Silly women even thinking they could deliver a spiritual message to a priesthood holder.

Very few, if any, people like being HT's/VT's, and even fewer like having the HT's/VT's in their homes every month. Lots of last-day-of-the-month, drop-in visits and phone calls so they can put a tick mark next to another Mormon-busy-work drudgery, er, duty, er, opportunity to serve the Lord by spying on, er, serving His sheep(le). I take that back. One family member who looks forward to the visits is the family dog who is *delighted* by the visit if he can sneak in and hump the HT's leg while HT's deacon-age "companion" snickers and takes notes on technique.

You don't get to pick who you visit or who visits you. It's an assigned, er inspired calling. Oh, plus you have a "companion" and you go to visit your assignee's together. Makes for lots of schedule-coordinating fun.

You give the same message to the 2 or 3 families/women you visit as the HT's/VT's who visit you give to your family and you. Mind-numbingly insipid, boring, and dreary. I so don't miss any of that, but I guess some people just LOVE the culture. Okay, sure.

InTheNameOfSurferJesusIsHawwwt
Ahhhhh, men.

Posted by: sparty ( )
Date: February 05, 2013 10:04PM

You have a rare opportunity here. Return fire with some thought-provoking material...then sign them up for alllll sorts of internet spam!

Posted by: Bite Me ( )
Date: February 05, 2013 10:35PM

Just start sending pictures of naked ladies. That should be thought provoking enough.

Posted by: scuba ( )
Date: February 05, 2013 10:59PM

It's funny they showed up today because I got a phone call from the EQ President today as well, asking if he can stop by my house. I haven't been to church since '07. At least he had the courtesy to call first, I guess, but I was still surprised.

It looks like the TBMs are taking that call to re-activate the apostates seriously.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: February 05, 2013 11:04PM

While I was gone, we got a call from someone in the ward trying to sign my kids up for seminary. I guess the fact they have never been to seminary and we haven't even been to church in three years didn't send any sort of signal.

I agree with Jonny and the others who said to send them monthly articles disproving Mormonism. Try to get ones that quote Mormons or are from Mormon approved sites. That will really mess with their heads.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.