Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: danceogden ( )
Date: February 07, 2013 03:28AM

A FB friend posted something about her Heavenly Father today. It made me wonder... Why do Mormons refer to him as Heavenly Fater? It's almost as if they are afraid to say the word "God" or they are trying to separate their God from the God that traditional Christens believe in. I know they say that they are the same person, but it feels like they are worshiping a totally different God.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: danceogden ( )
Date: February 07, 2013 03:34AM

I meant Heavenly Father. Sorry for the iPad mistake :)

Posted by: Fetal Deity ( )
Date: February 07, 2013 03:42AM

I think it has to due with the fact that Mormons believe that we are all literally the offspring of ("spritually conceived" by) heavenly parents--although "Heavenly Mother" has always gotten short shrift.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: February 21, 2013 06:18PM

They have this rediculous idea that god doesn't want people to take his wifes name in vain so we were not allowed to talk about her

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: February 07, 2013 04:46AM

"Heavenly Father" is also quite sacred but it saying a title of sorts and is less likely to cause lighting to strike them. Perhaps that's a slight exaggeration but I hope it explains how mormons feel and why they usually only say God in a hushed tone.

Posted by: albertasaurus ( )
Date: February 07, 2013 08:04AM

Because "thou shalt not take the name of the lord thy god in vain". Also the melcgizedek priesthood was named after melchezidek to avoid repeating too often the name of god. He's such an amazing, sacred guy, you're not even worthy to say his name. God god god god god god god

Posted by: Becca ( )
Date: February 07, 2013 08:29AM

He who must not be named...

What's his name...
What's his face
Him...
You know who....

Ooohhhh....

Getting carried away..sorry..

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: February 07, 2013 08:29AM

I've seen the term Heavenly Father used outside of Mormonism as well, but not as heavily or universally.

Mormon's do sometimes use the word "God", but definitely use "Heavenly Father" a lot more. The reason is that the word "God" is so ambiguous for a Mormon in Mormon mythology. Jesus and Heavenly Father are very distinct and have very distinct roles. If you are praying you are praying to Heavenly Father through Jesus. If you are talking about receiving repentance from your sins you think of Jesus.

I guess a parallel example would be in Greek mythology. You would rarely refer to Zeus by name instead of "God", likewise you would usually refer to Apollo by name instead of "God" depending on the context of what you were talking about - e.g. Apollo for the sun and Zeus for lightning.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2013 08:40AM by bc.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: February 07, 2013 08:30AM

Our Father who art in Heaven...

It isn't that unique. What is unique about the LDS concept is that not only is this Entity called Father, but that our own fathers and us guys if righteous and obedient enough will also become Fathers in our own right. LDS gods are glorified men.

The thing about calling this entity "God" is that especially in the more liberal churches the word is used to declare a neutral gender, and to make God seem greater than the human condition we give it.

Posted by: doubtisavirtue ( )
Date: February 07, 2013 08:38AM

But his name isn't God, his name is Elohim, so "avoiding taking his name in vain" seems an unlikely reason.

I think it's because they genuinely think of him as a father, and "Heavenly Father" is a sign of that paternal adoration.

Calling him Heavenly Father does happen in other Christian denominations, but it's meant much less literally, and used far less often than "God".

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2013 08:41AM by doubtisavirtue.

Posted by: Lasvegasrichard ( )
Date: February 07, 2013 06:17PM

This concept of the personal name in Mormonism for God the Father being Elohim eludes me . Back when Joseph Smith was wrangling with the identity of Jehovah and God , and who was who , he came to the knowledge while studying Hebrew that the word contained in Old Testament , Eloheim , was in fact the plural word used to describe God ( s ) . How did the similarly spelled word become the personal name of one individual ? It's like saying Elohim is one member of Eloheim ???

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: February 07, 2013 06:26PM

I read recently that the distinction of Elohim as God the Father & Jehovah as Jesus didn't exist until James E Talmage clarified things. I don't know if this is accurate or not.

Posted by: Becca ( )
Date: February 07, 2013 08:42AM

I never thoughtvabout it much. Everybody says it, so certainly as a child you copy that.

It was taught to think of him as a real fatherlike person and you were made to have a real personal relationship with him.. interesting to find out where in the history of the church it started...

Posted by: sparkyguru ( )
Date: February 07, 2013 08:44AM

I definitely thought of him as a father, and being a father myself I finally realized that if I were in his shoes I would have the been a real dick to my kids to start a church with a con man and then damn them to hell if they didn't believe it.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: February 07, 2013 08:47AM

And Mormonism is big on warm fuzzies.

Also, "Heavenly Father" keeps adult Mormons in the position of being a child.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: February 07, 2013 06:50PM

Posted by: sparty ( )
Date: February 07, 2013 09:16PM

I always kind of figured it was TBMs' way of trying to convince everyone that they are Christian. I've always seemed to notice that whenever someone's Christianity is called into question, they start coming up with more elaborate names for God.

"How could you POSSIBLY suggest I'm not a Christian?! I have such love for my personal Lord and Savior, The Son of God, and Messiah: Jesus Christ!"

Almost like the Mormons are saying "Oh, Baptists call him God? Huh...that's cute...we call him Heavenly Father...yeah, 3 letters for them? TWO WHOLE WORDS FOR US! Yeah."

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: February 08, 2013 09:24AM

Old Testament God = Jesus Christ
New Testament God = Heavenly Father

Elohim = Heavenly Father in Mormonism whereas in real life 'Elohim' is actually the plural version of Eloha.

So actually Mormons are saying Gods when they use the term Elohim.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: February 21, 2013 06:56PM

danceogden Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why do
> Mormons refer to him as Heavenly Fater?

I like Heavenly Fater better. God if there is one is more a Heavenly Fater than Father. Look at the temple endowment - God made all of this for children? Sounds more like some weird Brother's Grimm than a loving parent.

Posted by: sparkyguru ( )
Date: February 22, 2013 02:08AM

I once got a 'happy farters day' card from one of my kids when they were little, my wife said from the mouth of babes comes all truth! still giggle about that :D

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: February 22, 2013 12:39PM

Posted by: Journey ( )
Date: February 21, 2013 09:11PM

It makes me cringe when I hear a grown man or woman refer to god as "Heavenly Father". It seems like a term you would use to explain god to a toddler.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: February 21, 2013 09:27PM

A sky daddy
In a cloud Caddy

Or a Zeus
On the loose

Christ in
A Chrysler

A juju
For voodoo

Heavenly father?
Why bother?

Posted by: captain ( )
Date: February 22, 2013 01:56AM

The one I have started hearing a lot from catholics is Papa Jesus. Papa Jesus sounds a lot more fun than Heavenly Father

Posted by: truthseeker ( )
Date: February 22, 2013 02:17AM

I think speaking of God as "Heavenly Father" sounds really weird. In my experience, Christians only use this phrasing when praying TO God, as in "Dear Heavenly Father.....". Referring to Him that way when speaking to others sounds like the speaker is trying to show off or something.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: February 22, 2013 04:35AM

In Judaism, Christianity and Islam, God is an omniscient, omnipresent, and omnipotent entity that transcends all time and space.

Elohim, a/k/a "Heavenly Father," is a formerly mortal, now incorporeal alien on a planet far, far, away named Kolob who has a vast harem of spirit wives with a vast brood of spirit offspring who are desperately waiting for pure white and delightsome Mormons to have lots and lots of children to give them bodies to inhabit.

I bet Mormons never figured out all those science fiction movies like "Invasion Of The Body Snatchers" and "The Invaders" were really secretly about them...

Posted by: momjeans ( )
Date: February 22, 2013 01:05PM

Maybe TBM's think God is a swear word, i.e., G** D*** it!

Posted by: jan ( )
Date: February 22, 2013 02:42PM

They don't believe in the Judeo-Christian concept of a single, all-encompassing God. Elohim/Father in Heaven is just a regular guy who is one step ahead of us on the spiritual evolutionary ladder. He has no power or authority except in our little world, and "worthy" Mormon men are going to achieve his same level of creation and power.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.