Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Bobthetaxman ( )
Date: February 07, 2013 09:35AM

The movie media, (which seems to have an addictive influence in all of our lives), actually become one the sources that finally gave me permission to HONESTLY take a look at what my beliefs were about Christianity, Mormonism, JS and the BOM, and what damages those beliefs were doing to myself, and eventually to all those I loved.

Early in my departure, a movie that seemed to strike a deep spot in my unconscious recognition to the deception of religion was "The Matrix". No matter how hard I tried to look at this and align it with my youthful perspectives of the "only true church on the face of the earth", it just wouldn't let me! Of course I was still just beginning my new journey towards freedom and had NO IDEA where it would take me to questioning EVERYTHING.

After that, there was a flood of other shows, both mainstream media, and other not so commonly known or acknowledged sources of entertainment, that came into my life and prodded me along the way to finally give me what I was earnestly searching for....FREEDOM!

Main stream movies available at your local video store or ordering via mail include:

The Man From Earth

The Golden Compass (LOVED THIS ONE!)

Inception

Cloud Atlas

What the Bleep do we Know and Down the Rabbit Hole (Separate movies, but an enhancement on the same theme.)

The Secret

Other movies that provided me with the space to challenge my previous beliefs were/are:

Who Wrote the Bible
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCXlFWBcxBo

The book of Abraham
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcyzkd_m6KE

DNA vs the BOM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GF_SxbPLb0

How about you? What "flicks" flipped your switch and adjusted your beliefs about life?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: February 07, 2013 09:48AM

There was a scene in The Messenger: The Story of Joan of Arc that really demonstrates how one should be careful when quickly attributing something to evidence of God/miracles. If I remember correctly Joan of Arc comes across a sword in the ground and recognizes it as a sign from God but later in the movie her a devils advocate type character portrayed by Dustin Hoffman, shows her various logical ways that sword could have gotten there that didn't involve the divine, such as a soldier in battle dropping it there.

Posted by: nancy rigdon ( )
Date: February 07, 2013 09:54AM

Bill Maher's Religulous. Absolutely hysterical.

Posted by: morgana ( )
Date: February 07, 2013 11:39AM

These movies gently opened my mind to the idea that my experience of life and my testimony or promptings of the spirit aren't necessarily real. (Also the idea that we can choose our own "real.")

M. Night Shyamalan's "The Village"

What Dreams May Come

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Vanilla Sky

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2013 11:39AM by morgana.

Posted by: James Mitchell ( )
Date: February 07, 2013 04:04PM

I don't know what's happened to Shyamalan...things seem to have gone downhill with his creativity.

But I watched that movie about 2 weeks after ending my activity in the Church and it freaked me out.

My TBM brother thinks it's a beautiful movie, and is touched by the fact that the village is so much like the Church. I guess he agrees with the parents of that community, that the means of protecting their children are justified by the resulting naivety and ignorance (which in his mind are presumably good things).

Posted by: EXON46 ( )
Date: February 07, 2013 12:25PM

STARGATE SG1

Posted by: jazzskeeter ( )
Date: February 07, 2013 12:30PM

There was one about a young girl in India who was forced to marry an old man, then he died, and she was banished to a poor home for widows. I can't remember the name of the movie, but it I kept thinking..."there is nothing keeping you from walking away from this ridiculous situation" and yea, I thought about me "trapped" in Mormonism.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: February 07, 2013 12:40PM

Posted by: WinksWinks ( )
Date: February 07, 2013 05:22PM

I saw that one too. But she was so little, walk away to even more poverty? I mean, half the women there were horrible scheming users, but the one old old lady was sweet to her, and she wouldn't even have that outside the widows' ...convent, for lack of a better word.

I really loved how she got the old lady a ladoo, because then it seemed like she felt she could die happy.

The whole caste system with the "uncleans" is kind of like what mormonism wishes it was, and _everybody_ participated. Imagine there being nowhere to go and everybody knows you are "unworthy", an apostate sinner, and treats you accordingly... *shudder*

Posted by: danboyle ( )
Date: February 07, 2013 12:37PM

The Truman Show

Posted by: morgana ( )
Date: February 07, 2013 07:54PM

Posted by: dogeatdog ( )
Date: February 08, 2013 02:59AM

+

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: February 08, 2013 04:28AM

Seaside, the town in the movie, is an actual real place in Florida, just west of Panama City Beach. Extremely beautiful, and they do a really good job keeping the place up. A bit expensive to stay there, but the extra money you pay a night keeps the bums away.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: February 08, 2013 04:38AM

Twilight. Realizing that the best that a creative Mormon mind could come up with was Twilight really opened my mind to the fact that something was wrong with the church.

As someone pointed out, all the adult R rated movies that spoke to me, moved me, taught me valuable life lessons, but were condemned by the church because some arbitrary council of non-Mormons decided it should be rated R. My father taught me to watch R rated movies when we were both still TBM, with the advice, "the church doesn't set the ratings for movies, so they shouldn't tell us what to see based on a rating system they do not control."

Posted by: Mr. Happy ( )
Date: February 07, 2013 01:04PM

The Temple Movie

The whole time I was watching it the spirit was prompting me with "You ARE in a cult!!".

Posted by: quebec ( )
Date: February 07, 2013 03:53PM

A made for tv movie of the series Midsomer Murder : "Hidden Depths"
CDI Barnaby was telling DS Scott about how he thought the things had went on about a particular murder as they were trying to get out from an old wine cellar where they had been locked in by the murderer or his/her accomplice and the crime seemed to have involved wine and the wine cellar.

Anyways, at one point he says, "And you know there is nothing like a little bit of truth to sell the biggest lies." And for some reason, at that moment Joseph Smith's face and name came very clearly in my eyes and in my ears. And I say “in” because it was as if it had come from without and within me at the same time. … Very difficult to describe.

Posted by: copostmo ( )
Date: February 07, 2013 04:00PM

The Invention of Lying

I watched it after I was already out, but I could sure relate with Ricky Gervais pretending to speak to God, and everyone believing him.

Posted by: Uncle Dale ( )
Date: February 07, 2013 04:04PM

The Life of Brian had a memorable impact. I recall watching
it with fellow seminarians, and continuing a discussion of
its impious humor into the classroom and lunchroom.

It can be liberating -- when we first learn he to laugh
at our own religious norms, and not just at others'

UD

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: February 07, 2013 05:53PM

I was in my early twenties and still had some vestiges of Christian thought, but this movie exposed all the foolishness of religion. And with loud laughter.

I saw it at the midnight movies in Fresno. It was so funny it kept me awake.

Posted by: joesmithsleftteste ( )
Date: February 07, 2013 10:52PM

I've always loved religious humor. The way people reacted to Life of Brian helped me realize that people will protest something without knowing anything about it. It made me wonder how often people were condemning things that had nothing wrong with them.

Life of Brian, although it does have some very irreverent humor, is anything but blasphemous as it never claims that Jesus was anything but the Son of God. It actually supports the idea that Jesus is a divine miracle worker and it holds him in high regard, but it gets laughs at everyone mistaking Brian for the Messiah. Yet there has been, ever since Life of Brian was in pre-production, a hysteria around it that the film that it mocks Jesus and is filled with dangerous blasphemy.

I love what Eric Idle said about it - "the point of the film is that Jesus said 'love you neighbor' and we've spent the last 2000 years killing each other over how he intended us to do it."

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: February 07, 2013 04:06PM

The Matrix

Inception

Dead Poet Society

Star Trek DS-9 (TV Series)

Date: February 07, 2013 10:35PM

Didn't mean to post here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2013 10:36PM by joesmithsleftteste.

Posted by: Lostmypassword ( )
Date: February 07, 2013 04:12PM

Dogma

Found out a Muse does not have a vagina. So much for artistic inspiration.

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: February 07, 2013 04:26PM

I was out of LDSinc before its release, but

The Truman Show is an excellent provocation to take a closer look at *all* perspectives.

Posted by: WinksWinks ( )
Date: February 07, 2013 05:31PM

I was very carefully guarded from a lot of media before I made my escape.
But I suppose some Disney movies helped, once I looked past all the misogynistic crap they are full of...
Most of them are about a bit of rebellion and wanting to find the right place in life for the main character. Even though a lot of them wind up walking the mormon life script anyways... Grrr.

Still catching up on media 17 years later.

Truman show made me shudder a lot because of the parallels to mormonism, and because "god and spirits are always watching you" gave me a delusion of being on some kind of show with an audience when I was a child.
But I didn't see that one until I was several years out.

Posted by: The exmo formerly known as Br. Vreeland ( )
Date: February 07, 2013 06:23PM

If my parents knew how it would affect me they never would have allowed me to watch it.

What Dreams May Come

The Thin Red Line

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: February 07, 2013 07:12PM

And M*A*S*H.

Authority figures as incompetent or criminal...

Institutions perverted to serve the leaders...

Subversives being the only sane ones...

Date: February 07, 2013 10:37PM

ALL "R" rated movies that have nothing corrupting about them and teach a good moral or cause you to think about moral issues. All PG-13 movies that were more morally corrupting than the previously mentioned "R" rated films.

Son of Rambow - Most people who have questioned their beliefs would be able to relate to this film in one way or another. It is a wonderful, heartwarming movie. I was already doubting before I first saw it, so it may be more the case that it helped me have the courage to leave when I made up my mind.

There were aspects of The Matrix and The Truman Show that helped me to realize that my perception of reality could be flawed. That subject even came up with an investigator on my mission once.

Oddly enough, neither "What Dreams May Come" nor "Dead Poets Society" (a film I despise) ever had any effect on me.

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: February 07, 2013 10:41PM

The story of a closeted gay missionary and a hedonistic twink falling in love and turning each other's world upside down. It made me come out of my own closet, and question my own beliefs in God.

Posted by: sparty ( )
Date: February 07, 2013 11:05PM

I consider this one of the best videos I've ever watched - totally changed how I think about things (was uncertain about my religious beliefs before I watched it and remained uncertain after - changed nothing in that regard, but made me step back and appreciate science and how insignificant this world really is):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6w2M50_Xdk

Also, not really a video/movie, but "The Alchemist" by Paulo Coelho is an amazing book that was extremely influential in how I think and approach things.

Posted by: metoo ( )
Date: February 08, 2013 02:39AM

Doubt is a very thought-provoking movie

Posted by: prefan84 ( )
Date: February 08, 2013 02:45AM

Fight Club
The Island
Gattaca
Shutter Island

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: February 08, 2013 02:45AM

Logan's Run.
Pleasantville.

Posted by: aspiexlds ( )
Date: February 08, 2013 04:12AM

Technically, it wasn't movies that got me thinking, but TV shows that I became interested in over time.

Stargate SG-1
Stargate Atlantis
The show with Sam and Dean Winchester (apparently the title of the show is banned on this site)
Doctor Who
Torchwood

I would've put more, but apparently something I used in my original message is 'banned from use'. I deleted any cuss words, so I don't know what it is....

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.