Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Dances with Cureloms ( )
Date: January 12, 2011 02:25PM

A little over a year ago a bunch of us reviewed the BoM on amazon.com. Since then the product page was pulled. The BoM is now being offered as a Kindle download and only has 8 reviews.

This situation must be remedied, your testimonies - I mean reviews are needed. Product link:
http://www.amazon.com/The-Book-of-Mormon-ebook/dp/B001DNN5NW/

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: drilldoc ( )
Date: January 12, 2011 03:05PM

Posted by: Emma's flaming sword (not logged in) ( )
Date: January 12, 2011 04:24PM

Posted by: lily ( )
Date: January 12, 2011 04:40PM

When did they pull the BoM ones? They were up last month or so. How sad...

Posted by: Emmas Flaming Sword ( )
Date: January 12, 2011 07:26PM

Posted by: Misfit ( )
Date: January 12, 2011 08:16PM

Done! Poking holes in the BofM is great therapy for me!

Posted by: ina ( )
Date: January 12, 2011 08:53PM

Posted by: Cristina ( )
Date: January 12, 2011 09:00PM

Posted by: Emmas Flaming Sword ( )
Date: January 12, 2011 09:33PM

Date: January 13, 2011 12:44PM

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: January 13, 2011 01:09PM

I just sent mine in. LOL

Anagrammy

Posted by: Mo Larkey ( )
Date: January 13, 2011 12:55PM

10 pages into the book, the protagonists have broken 3 commandments:coveting someone else's belongings(gold plates), stealing them, and killing a sleeping drunk in order to procure them. If nothing else, the first few chapters provide a glimpse into the author's own morality-Its OK to do something bad if it furthers your own agenda.
Christ said, The sun shines on the good and the evil, the rain falls on the just and the unjust. Not so in the Book of Mormon. The primary message of the book, which is repeated over and over again-Righteousness is rewarded with material wealth, and if you do bad things, you will get killed in a natural disaster. If the earthquake doesn't kill you, then war with your white-skinned enemies will.

Posted by: Adult of god ( )
Date: January 13, 2011 12:58PM

it seemed to be all about obedience. Obey or else the worst will happen!

Date: January 13, 2011 12:59PM

Hey! that was my review! Thank you!

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: January 13, 2011 01:49PM

Posted by: Steven ( )
Date: January 13, 2011 01:21PM

..as the morgbot will say, "everytime I read the BOM, I learn something new." Now, as an ex-mo, I still feel the same way. Go figure.

Date: January 13, 2011 01:03PM

Only because it humorously attempted to explain where the Native Americans came from.

Date: January 13, 2011 01:04PM

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: January 13, 2011 01:24PM

Posted by: Marco Torres ( )
Date: January 13, 2011 01:42PM

Jane Ward is my hero.....

'There might have been a reason to believe this stuff in 1830, but today it is inexcusable'.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: January 13, 2011 04:42PM

Date: January 13, 2011 03:04PM

WORD FOR WORD FROM THE ROCK with no "gold plates" in the room, this book is the most successful American hoax since Lydia Pinkham's. Early American Mound-builder Indian folklore meets tent campfire evangelism, the Book of Mormon lays out a bloody ethic of end-justifies-the-means which continues in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints to this day. Smith's horrific spelling and grammar have been tidied up but the more interesting changes are the substantial doctrinal additions and deletions. Church authorities hawk the book as sacred--word for word from God to the rock in the hat; however, they have seen fit to make countless line and content edits without attribution. Be that as it may, this is clearly a work of fiction revelatory of the mindset of the mileu in which it was written--a time of evangelistic fervor in upstate New York. Joseph Smith was an exhortor for camptown meetings. The status of the Book of Mormon as the "keystone of Mormonism" is in question as DNA tests reveal that Native Americans are not, as the book claims, literal descendants of the fallen Jewish Lamanites (given a dark skin by God as punishment). Furthermore, The Book of Mormon condemns polygamy yet Joseph Smith's preference for multiple partners spawned a later revelation reinstituting the practice and commanding all followers to take additional wives as a requirement for attainment of Mormondom's highest degree of glory. The threat that an angel with a flaming sword would kill his wife if she did not accept his mistress as a second wife is recorded in the Doctrine & Covenants, another canon of the Mormon Church. One must keep this in mind when reading the Book of Mormon plagiarized portions of the Bible in which Smith places the King James version in the mouths of these early Jews, who seemed quite ignorant of Jewish practices. These extensive quotes from old and new testament include phrases which Bible scholars have discovered were appended by over-enthusiastic monks in the 12th century. SO- I recommend the Book of Mormon as a guaranteed sleep narcotic and on your Kindle, a fine nightlight, unless you already have a rock that shines words like Joseph Smith.

Date: January 14, 2011 12:07AM

If you don't feel like writing, at least paste your "like" to a negative review and it will help move some sanity up to the featured negative review area.

Amazon is our friend!

Long live free internet

Anagrammy

Posted by: eown ( )
Date: January 14, 2011 10:35AM

Date: January 15, 2011 11:13PM

This one is now the frontrunner on Amazon for MOST FAVORABLE review. I really enjoyed reading this one!!-

Such an imagination J. Smith had! This is American creativity at its best! How many kids (or people) dream of creating their own world and inhabitants? How many actually write a book about it? How many people have millions of other people believe their fiction is actually true??

I give this book five stars, not because I like it or even enjoy reading it. It is poorly written, awkwardly phrased, and anachronistic. I give it five stars because millions of people believe this book is literal history. Millions of people have been duped into believing the modern Native American is actually a Lamanite. Millions of people have been duped into believing there were horses and iron tools in the Americas over a thousand years before Columbus.

I give this book five stars because Joseph Smith had an active imagination and he accomplished what few others were able to do - convince millions of people to believe his fiction is fact. Bravo, JS! I can't wait for the sequel. Time to get that hat and rock back out...

Posted by: Mr. Eyepatch ( )
Date: January 16, 2011 01:28AM

Here's my review:

"I was going to write a long-winded review of this work of fiction, but I see that the ground has already been largely covered. Instead, let me simply add my witness that Mormonism hurts families. The Mormon church is racist, money-hungry, power-hungry and absolutely corrupt."

"No worries though...the Internet has allowed the dirty truth about Mormonism to reach the masses. The implosion has already started and cannot be stopped. The LDS corporate bosses are powerless to stop it...God bless the Net!!"

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.