Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anon ( )
Date: January 12, 2011 05:23PM

Has anyone heard of anyone demanding their tithe $$ back from the church after discovering it is not true? Does anyone know if there has ever been a lawsuit to that end?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: AKA Alma ( )
Date: January 12, 2011 05:33PM

IANAL - I heard a rumor about a guy in the UK trying that, but I doubt it would work in the US. It was a donation and you'll never get it back.

It makes me a little sick to think about how much I gave the church (time and money), but in the end I just had to chalk it up to "life experience" and move on.

Posted by: ina ( )
Date: January 12, 2011 05:43PM

I was wondering the same thing. Couldn't you say were coerced into "donating" money? After all, you can't go to the temple (or heaven) if you don't pay up. I have also heard stories of bishops harassing members for tithing settlement. Are there any lawyers on here that could give their legal opinion?

Posted by: resipsaloquitur ( )
Date: January 12, 2011 05:54PM

This lawyer says no chance.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: January 12, 2011 06:23PM

Resipsaloquitur: the abuses go on and on. In your opinion, will members ever develop a spine and say enough?

Anagrammy

Date: January 12, 2011 06:33PM

I'm not sure what you mean. If you mean will the members ever gain critical mass by enough members joining the legal effort, or something, then I would say no, no chance.

The problem is that a "donation" is just a gift. Gifts are irrevocable. If the gift was given in exchange for something, then it would be a contract which raises certain legal obligations on the part of the recipient. But a gift is one sided and irrevocable. Think of the scenario where Fangduster T. Barrelbottom says to Poor Sweet Daisy, "I'll really like you if you give me some money." So Poor Sweet Daisy gives Fangduster everything she has in her wallet. When she discovers that Fangduster may or may not in fact like her, which is subjective anyway, she will lose if she sues for return of the money.

It's also the same as when you give someone a birthday present, then later you have a falling out with that person and demand the return of the gift. Ethics aside, you have no legal claim for return of the gift because you transferred all legal title the moment you delivered the item, retaining no legal interest whatsoever. Tithing is the same.

That's different than when you purchase services from a professional, for example. You give them money in exchange for specific, verifiable services, and when the services go unprovided, you can sue for damages, which include, among other possible remedies, return of your money.

Tithing is not given to LD$, Inc. in exchange for any specific, verifiable goods or services or anything of value. It is given in exchange for "heavenly rewards."

It's like money down the toilet.

Date: January 12, 2011 06:35PM

By the way, this is not a controversial opinion amongst lawyers. I'm absolutely certain that 100% of American lawyers would agree with me on this.

Posted by: The Man in Black ( )
Date: January 12, 2011 09:30PM

They call it a "gift" to the authorities. They present it to their own members as a "law". Read their literature. It is not optional or there is punishment. Does this fit the definition of gift?

Wrong angle Mr. Lawyer. You're looking only at how they declare it, not at how they present it to the swindled.

Is a gift a gift when it comes with social stigma if not paid in full? Is it a gift if there are terms and conditions?

The legality is not what they declare it. The legal question is CAN they declare it to in fact be a gift?

Date: January 12, 2011 11:48PM

I'm not arguing the rightness or wrongness of it. As a lawyer I don't do good and evil. I just do legal. The secular authorities do not care how the matter is presented in the ecclesiastical context. They only care whether it is a bargained for exchange of legally cognizible consideration. To be technical. "Worthiness" to enter the temple, or eternal blessings, are not choate valuables that can be sufficient consideration to form a contract. Just like in my Fangduster T. Barrelbottom analogy where he promised to like someone in exchange for money. American law will treat the "transaction" the same as it treats any other analogous "transaction," and if you were to strip away the religious coatings, this one is no different than Fangduster and Daisy. Vague promises of something of no legal value do not constitute consideration.

Date: January 12, 2011 11:59PM

The Man in Black Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is a gift a gift when it comes with social stigma
> if not paid in full?

The answer is: absolutely yes. What if you didn't give Xmas gifts to your children? There is social stigma because basically everyone would think you were a douche and your children would hate you. But does that mean that what you gave your children were not actually gifts? Nope. A gift is a gift regardless of the motivations of the giver, and regardless of the manipulations of the givee, so long as the givee didn't promise anything of actual value in exchange.

>Is it a gift if there are
> terms and conditions?

First, there are no terms and conditions to tithing. It is understood by everyone that LD$, Inc. can use the money however the eff it wants and the giver has no say. Second, even if there were terms and conditions attached to the money, that doesn't mean that the giver RECEIVED anything of value, which is the critical question here.

If by "terms and conditions" you mean that the person FEELS obligated to give or else, then I think what you really are talking about is coercion or duress. Duress is a very strict, high legal standard, and basically requires a physical gun to your head. Hellfire is imaginary, so it won't cut it in court.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2011 12:09AM by resipsaloquitur.

Posted by: anon123 ( )
Date: January 12, 2011 06:45PM

It is true though. You basically have to pay for entrance into the temple through tithing. It's sick really.

Posted by: ina ( )
Date: January 12, 2011 07:07PM

Well, it was a nice thought anyway. Thanks for your input resipsaloquitur!

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: January 12, 2011 08:32PM

How can LDS legally deny people who are behind in their "donations" entrance to the temple? Doesn't that make it NOT a donation, but a fee?

Anagrammy

Posted by: saviorself ( )
Date: January 12, 2011 10:05PM

I will answer your question with a question:

What is the cash value of 50 "entrances to the temple?" That is once a week for a year.

One entrance to the temple + $5.00 will buy you a latte at Starbucks.

Posted by: labdork ( )
Date: January 13, 2011 01:15AM

What??? Has no one else heard of this?

http://www.mormonlawsuit.com/

Posted by: Drunk Sailor ( )
Date: January 14, 2011 05:11PM

What would be every bit as beneficial as a law suit, would be some national media coverage of a law suit, or pending law suit.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.