Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: mythb4meat ( )
Date: February 13, 2013 09:10PM

Although Boz Scaggs biggest hit song was "Lowdown" (1976), my favorite by far was his song recorded by himself and the brilliant keyboardist & producer David Foster for the movie Urban Cowboy (1980), called "Love, look what you've done to me".

The lyrics are interesting; and at one point says "TAKE ME UP YOUR STAIRS AND THROUGH THE DOOR, TAKE ME WHERE WE DON'T CARE ANYMORE". Because of the Mormon sub-culture of worthiness interviews, "purity" being drilled into us for many years during our youth, banned from taking the sacrament if we mess up, secret temple covenants, the law of chastity, strict rules for missionaries, etc; this particular line of lyrics may be very significant to the typical Mormon.

At some point in life, to finally say something like "take me where we don't care anymore" can be especially freeing, releasing, calming. The burden & pressure is off, sure feels good!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: topper ( )
Date: February 13, 2013 10:50PM

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: February 13, 2013 11:25PM

I saw Boz Skaggs live in Sacramento, 1976. A very mood-driven show with excellent lighting. I sat next to a prostitute who made me nervous.

Posted by: sd ( )
Date: February 14, 2013 02:21PM

because she wouldn't take a check?

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: February 14, 2013 07:07PM

I didn't have the cojones to ask.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 14, 2013 01:04AM

What a wonderful singer and musician! The highlight of one of my San Francisco trips was when Boz entered a small neighborhood restaurant that I was eating at. Everyone turned to have a look and he smiled and lit up the entire place. Ahh, the city by the bay. :)

Posted by: mew ( )
Date: April 13, 2013 10:56PM

Was it the Blue Light Café? Boz was the founder and owner. That was about 25 years ago.

Posted by: topper ( )
Date: February 14, 2013 12:54PM

topping

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: February 14, 2013 12:59PM

I love that song. Thanks for the post

Posted by: regularguy ( )
Date: February 14, 2013 02:30PM

Who is "Topper" and why are you BTTing someone else's thread?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Posted by: porterrockwell ( )
Date: February 15, 2013 04:02AM

"Hey 19" and "Miss Sun" are my favorites of Boz Scaggs

Posted by: skander tea bag ( )
Date: February 15, 2013 01:42PM

Hey Nineteen is a Steely Dan track from Gaucho, which was released in 1980 by MCA. Many of the session players from this album and earlier Steely Dan albums (Aja, etc.) are from the same general group of players that performed with Boz Scaggs and other acts from the same period. Recently, Boz Scaggs toured with Donald Fagen (Steely Dan) and Michael McDonald (Doobie Bros), so there is some overlap.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 15, 2013 01:47PM

That probably explains why I liked those other groups as well. To this day, a Steely Dan concert that I attended is still on my top ten list of favorite concerts ever.

Posted by: No Mo ( )
Date: February 15, 2013 04:19AM

Boz Scaggs played the Bill Graham's San Francisco Fillmore in 70 and 71. I used to go frequently in high school after TBM mother booted me to the street with no home because she was pissed at life and her divorce. Boz Scaggs played a great concert. I slept on the beach many nights. San Francisco was a great place to be for a teen with no adult supervision.

Posted by: DebbiePA ( )
Date: April 13, 2013 11:09PM

I love We're All Alone and Harbor Lights.

The whole "Silk Degrees" album is the soundtrack for my 21st year, along with "Frampton Comes Alive," "Dreamboat Annie," "Night Moves" and "Hotel California." It was a very good year.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.