Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: deconverted2010 ( )
Date: February 15, 2013 09:48AM

I think they said it starts in June but tickets will go on sale next week. Anyone here going?

I really want to go and most likely will end up going but I am nervous. Who will I run into when I go? Will I run into any bishops or people who have left and I didn't know. Or maybe I won't recognize anyone. Crazy I know, but I am nervous. Anyone feels the same?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Finally Free! ( )
Date: February 15, 2013 10:07AM

My wife and I just saw it in Chicago... GO SEE THIS!

I think the fear that you will run into someone comes from Mormon training, it took me a long time to get over the "Someone will see me" mentality... Maybe that's not what you are referring to. Either way, don't let that stop you from seeing the show.

It is absolutely hilarious. They hit on every major point and they get the tone just right. I, quite literally, almost fell out of my seat laughing so many times while watching it, yet you feel for the characters and want what's best for them. They are parodies of Missionaries, but they are human parodies that work very well. It's very well written.

I consider it a must see for any ex-mo or anyone who's life has been "touched" by the LDS church.

Date: February 15, 2013 10:40AM

That's exactly what I'm referring to. I was excited to hear the tickets will go on sale next week and then I started havign these thoughts. Oh my, what kind of people will go to see it? Will there be inactive mormons, acitve mormons? What if someone sees me stepping out of the theater?

Thanks. i'll build up the courage to order the tickets.

Posted by: Finally Free! ( )
Date: February 15, 2013 02:41PM

I totally get it. If you're worried about being seen or approached, keep in mind that the show will be packed it's very unlikely that you will see anyone you know, unless you happen to go with them.

I very much doubt that an active Mormon would go to the show, it has been labeled as "anti" and therefore, it's off limits. There might be a few inactives who go, but chances are you won't know anyone.

When we went to the Chicago show, there were all types there. Young, old, people who like theater and people who like comedies. Everyone that I saw laughed the whole way through.

Find whatever courage you need and go, it's very much worth it.

Posted by: SaxGirl07 ( )
Date: February 15, 2013 12:10PM

The musical sounds great but I haven't had a chance to see it yet. Right now I just watch the youtube videos.

Have you heard of the Book of Mormon musical Rewards Program? You can earn points and receive free tickets (among other prizes)

http://bookofmormonbroadway.com/?bd_ref=A3772D15-5C52-4D84-97C5-0B8884831010.

Posted by: DeAnn ( )
Date: February 15, 2013 12:51PM

I am not understanding what you are afraid of, deconverted2010.

Posted by: flyboy21 ( )
Date: February 15, 2013 01:07PM

It's coming to the Kennedy Center in DC this summer and I'll be seeing it there.

Posted by: acerbic ( )
Date: February 15, 2013 05:24PM

in Chicago while visiting and will give it a miss here. The main reason is that I dislike most musicals. I sit there, and no matter how good the songs, I am thinking, "Get on with the plot."

Posted by: karin ( )
Date: February 15, 2013 05:34PM

unfortunately not in my budget at this time. should that change, or i get a sudden urge at a later date, maybe. i live too far from toronto that i'd have to plan babysitting, over night stays etc.

I do have relatives who live near there. Some my want to see this too. This could be a fun adult family activity. Now you've made me want to go!

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: February 15, 2013 05:39PM

We saw it in Janauary here in Seattle.

One word of advice: Buy your tickets the first chance you get. It gets sold out everywhere it plays.

We got our tickets in julyish for a January show. I thought it was way too early, but sure enough, sold out.

Posted by: spwdone ( )
Date: February 15, 2013 06:51PM

I wish - wanted to see it but tickets are ridiculously expensive - even for horrible seats. Have fun!

Posted by: looking in ( )
Date: February 16, 2013 12:24AM

Posted by: torlurker ( )
Date: February 16, 2013 09:39AM

It runs from April 30 to June 9 in Toronto.

I understand your fear of running into someone you don't want to see. I have similar feelings but didn't want to miss the opportunity.

Solution - I'm going to a Sunday matinee. Less likely to run into any tbms and if I do, they're the ones who should feel embarrassed for being caught missing church. You could always point that out to them. If I run into any ex-mormons I know, I think that would actually be a positive thing.

Tickets go on sale Feb. 19th but my friend booked ours earlier with Amex. Good luck!

Date: February 17, 2013 09:13PM

What a great idea, going on a Sunday. I've been making Sundays my day to do all those things I enjoy but never had time to do. That would be perfect.

Thanks.

Posted by: GC ( )
Date: February 16, 2013 06:57PM

AMEX Front-of-the-line tickets sold out for Toronto - I just called. I'm going to try get some Tuesday, but could be tough. If anyone has a pair they want to sell, ley me know.

GC

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.