Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: tillamook ( )
Date: January 13, 2011 10:56PM

Mormons seem to be unhealthily obsessed with appearances and what other people think about them. Many don't even drink non-alcoholic wine to avoid the appearance of evil.

What about the appearance of being an ungrateful prude guest? Because that is how they come across in the normal world.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: January 14, 2011 12:26AM

No one else matters. Whatsoever. At all. For anything except possibly mouth-to-mouth if the victim is young and pretty.

Anagrammy

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: January 14, 2011 12:33AM

forgetting that being judgmental and self-righteous actually IS evil.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: January 14, 2011 12:38AM

Avoiding the appearance of evil is supposed to be a part of letting your light shine. However, the way many Mormons practice it, it is counterproductive and certainly does not lead anyone into the church or impress anyone. No one likes self righteous amd judgmental people who refuse to drink hot chocolate in public because some one might think they are drinking coffee.

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: January 14, 2011 11:41AM

I was not raised by Mormon parents but joined later in life, obviously Mormonism was not a good fit for me because of my upbringing. My mother used to say that we should feel comfortable and welcoming whether we dine at the peasant's table or the King's table. In both situations we should be at ease. She had an ash tray she would take out for guests, though she herself did not believe smoking was a good thing. She did not drink, but if offered something as a guest, she would not have turned it down. I LOVED this about my wonderful mother. She knew what it meant to be gracious and un-judging. I never could lose that no matter how long I was Mormon. I just knew I could not transform my thoughts to let go of what I saw as a lovely way of being. Ironically she was not accepted by some of the ladies of the Baptist church, the popular clique there turned up their nose because she didn't care about things like the latest fashions; she cared more about learning about the world around her and therefore had many fascinating things to say on a variety of subjects. She therefore felt a bit insecure on some levels in that she didn't quite fit in with the other ladies; in turn she had a variety of friends from a variety of different beliefs and ways of being. She knew how to be a good friend to everyone. Even those who did not think she was "hip".

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2011 11:48AM by suckafoo.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: January 14, 2011 11:46AM

who think people should simply trust them. The lack of financial disclosure is the main issue.

Posted by: Highland ( )
Date: January 14, 2011 11:49AM

They don't even grasp how they appear. My husband's super-dooper-Mormon cousin ripped into him for not dropping everything to immediately answer the cousin's request for genealogical info, even to the point of denigrating my husband's work history. When Hubby pointed out he has a very demanding job and a handicapped brother to attend to, the Morgbot wrote back and whined that he also has a disability but "I suppose YOUR obligations trump that." Uh, yeah, they do.

Posted by: AKA Alma ( )
Date: January 14, 2011 03:48PM

(Like Heresy said)

After counesling me to avoid even the appearance of evil it seems pretty odd that the church does things that certainly appears to be evil.

But then again, like Butthead said to Beavis once "You can't polish a turd dude."

Posted by: anon123 ( )
Date: January 14, 2011 04:13PM

I would also like to know what's so evil about bare shoulders. *rolls eyes*

Posted by: Adult of god ( )
Date: January 14, 2011 05:41PM

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: January 14, 2011 10:09PM

Unless she was in church with a lot of other Mormons drinking chocolate, she would not drink out of a cup in public for fear of what others might think of her. Weird, or what?

Posted by: edmarc ( )
Date: January 14, 2011 10:10PM

The church dances are mormon discoteques with disgusting music. Talk about appearance of evil.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.