Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: leexmo ( )
Date: February 26, 2013 11:38PM

I just wanted to share that I went to another church's (Presbyterian, for those who care) Bible study group tonight out of curiosity and it was so much more laid-back and discussion-promoting than any seminary lesson / Institute lesson and/or Sunday school lesson at the LDS Church.

Things I noticed:
* I actually felt encouraged to participate. My opinions were solicited and I could actually -think- and not just regurgitate

* Individual dress. Guys with beards. I was probably the most formally-dressed person there.

* Open talk of other churches' doctrine and no one was snooty, judgmental, or holier-than-thou. There was NO "I know this church is true" rhetoric.

* NO pressure sell. Even though they knew I was LDS, they were pretty much like "that's cool, you can continue to be LDS and come to our study group, & that's no problem".

* No patriarchy. The discussion leader even said he didn't believe in it. HAHA imagine that happening in LDS Sunday school!

I'm not ready to jump ship and become Presbyterian or anything, but it was definitely refreshing. I found myself talking and engaging sooo much more than I do at LDS church. It definitely pointed out to me more ways in which the LDS Church is oppressive to individuality.

Anyone else have experiences going to other churches and experiencing more freedom / positivity / etc.? :)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Uncle DAle ( )
Date: February 26, 2013 11:50PM

leexmo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Anyone else have experiences going to other
> churches and experiencing more freedom /
> positivity / etc.? :)

Spent a lot of time with the United Methodists --
taught Sunday School for an American Baptist Convention
congregation for awhile.

The folks were nice, but I guess both they and I knew
by then that my days within Christianity were numbered.
Some good times and good memories, nevertheless.

UD

Posted by: Madison40 ( )
Date: February 26, 2013 11:50PM

I was a Presbyterian as a child before converting to the LDs faith as an adult. Since I left the LDS faith, I have gone back to the Presbyterian church and love it. The bible studies, the worship services are wonderful and everyone is happy to be there, no pretenses, you can be yourself.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.