Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: sayhitokolob4me ( )
Date: October 03, 2010 05:21PM

Would it be possible or practical for someone to try to establish a central list of some sort, instructing TSCC it is NOT to baptize or do any other ordinances after death of a loved one, and then possibly creating a central registry, sort of like the national 'do not call' list? For example:

Dear TSCC,
This is to inform you that as __________ closest blood relative, we insist you perform not LDS ordinances for this person out of respect to both us and to the deceased.

Deceased: John doe
Born: xxxxxx, NY, NY
Died: xxxxxx, SLC, UT

Other information:

Just a thought, the Jews seem to have had some luck, thought maybe everyone else could as well.

T

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: laluna ( )
Date: October 03, 2010 06:08PM

What a great idea! I would love to be able to put myself and my family members on that list!

Posted by: Primus ( )
Date: October 03, 2010 06:15PM

How would you monitor that they didn't do it.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: October 03, 2010 06:25PM

to Member Records and demanded that a note be put on his record saying he could not be re baptized after death. They agreed to do it.

I think it was iBear.

Posted by: Laban's Head ( )
Date: October 04, 2010 12:30AM

Posted by: sayhitokolob4me ( )
Date: October 03, 2010 06:35PM

Seems like an opportunity for a pretty rockin' website. Even if the requests are not legally enforceable, certainly they would play out well in the court of public opinion. Not exactly sure how to monitor, but it seems there would be some way, how do the Jews get their info?

Posted by: happycat ( )
Date: October 03, 2010 07:55PM

The Mormon church would just have the biographical data they need to permenantly store your name into their masoluem "GRanite Vault".

Posted by: Tiff ( )
Date: October 03, 2010 08:23PM

I plan on sending a copy to the Member Records in SLC with a letter explaining the portion that relates to them. I plan on putting it very clearly that I do not give permission for any of my relatives to baptize me after I die. I plan on insisting that they include the copy on my actual record that they keep so that if any of my future relatives decide to try it anyway, it's attached.

I'm not really sure it will do any good, but it's my plan to at least try to make sure that they don't try anything.

Posted by: Ms. ( )
Date: October 04, 2010 12:24AM

We should all have one anyway. It might not work, but it would be a strong final statement. And it might work; it depends on who outlives you.

Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: October 04, 2010 12:33AM

Probably not enforceable but she knows who is likely to submit her name and I or my sibling will make sure they are aware of what is in her trust.

Anyone remember a poster a year or so ago talking about how the temple saved the names following the dunkings to be used at other temples - like there probably weren't enough names and if they were going to guilt people into coming to the temple (as in pay tithing) they had to convince people that there were a gazillion names that needed to be done.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2010 12:49AM by Twinker.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.