Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: bingoe4 ( )
Date: October 03, 2010 05:21PM

WHY? San Diego Temple is 15-20 mins from the boarder. Sure it might take awhile to drive over the boarder but what about sacrifice? There is no way I believe that the S.D. temple is busy enough to justify the temple so close. Maybe they don't want the foreigners in the ritzy La Jolla neighborhood where the S.D. temple is located?????

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2010 08:44PM by bingoe4.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: libby ( )
Date: October 03, 2010 06:47PM

It does not sound like a haven for LDS members. I wonder how many members live around there.

Posted by: lologo57 ( )
Date: October 07, 2010 11:53PM

There are 6 stakes in Tijuana, plus 1 in Endenada, 2 in Mexicali, and a district headquartered in San Luis Rio Colorado (across from Yuma, Arizona) all of which would likely be served by the TJ temple.

Really...I'm not even Mormon, and I'm offended by the "shock" and judgmental comments about a temple to serve the LDS there.

Posted by: Jim Huston ( )
Date: April 03, 2011 10:25PM

The trolls really get ridiculous this time of year. We have someone claiming to not be Mormon, but knows not only what a stake is, but how many there are in Tijuana. One post with the name. No history what so ever. How stupid do they think we are? I get this every day on my YouTube videos.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: April 03, 2011 11:58PM

Posted by: think4u ( )
Date: April 04, 2011 12:08AM

Most interesting.

Posted by: brian-the-christ ( )
Date: April 04, 2011 12:22PM

lologo57 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Really...I'm not even Mormon...

You're so full of it.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: October 05, 2010 04:55PM

I've been thinking about this, and I wonder where in Tijuana they're going to build it. After all, I've never known anyone, myself included, who has dared to go there in many years because of the drug cartel violence.

Posted by: dawn ( )
Date: October 05, 2010 04:58PM

well.. a lot of Mexicans can't get visas to cross the border.. I think its so that the baja california members can go.. and I don't think that it will be in the heart of Tijuana.. probably a little south by Rosarito.. which is a nice area..

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: April 03, 2011 03:18PM

dawn Wrote:
> probably a little south by Rosarito.. which is a nice area..

Thus spoiling one of my potential retirement spots.

Posted by: Dave in Hollywood ( )
Date: October 05, 2010 05:23PM

How many mormons are there supposed to be in Tijuana anyway? Not that membership has much relation to where a temple gets built.

I'm guessing that the patrons of the San Diego temple just didn't want to share their "glorious" (hideous) temple with that "riffraff" south of the border.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: October 05, 2010 05:33PM

my guess is that the fine people of the Tijuana drug cartels were embarrassed to be seen in the parking lot. Plus, there may be money-laundering opportunities across the border we don't know about.

Posted by: dawn ( )
Date: October 05, 2010 06:16PM

my hubby is from Mexico and its hard to even get a visa for his mom to visit us.... because she is retired.. they think she will want to run away and stay here.. (medical is much cheaper and easier to get down there.. she wouldn't even stay here for more than 2 weeks.. lol)
anyways... I am a white born in Cali.. live in Utah girl and was detained by american immigration for 3 hrs in San Ysidro (Tijuana) and they are very strict there on the border.. (they wanted to know why I had a cali birthcertificate and a utah drivers license.. uh duh.. people move (my parents moved from cali to utah when I was 3!) it was before passports were required...
I like going to Tijuana.. you just have to be viligent...

anyways.. I think that is why the temple there... because it is hard to get visas and border crossing cards... and also to serve the state of baja california.. which goes all the way down to cabo san lucas...
more temple building is just for the sheeple to think the lds church is thriving.. its all just a show.. brainwashing.. etc.. but we all know that. =)

Posted by: bingoe4 ( )
Date: October 05, 2010 05:54PM

You don't need a visa to cross the boarder. There are tons of Mexicans that come across to shop, work, go to school. I see cars with Mexican plates all the time.

Posted by: PtLoma ( )
Date: October 05, 2010 06:08PM

Border crossing cards are issued to those who live in Tijuana and work in California, and to those who visit/shop in California. In order to be issued a card, one must have a steady job and income. Jobless, would-be undocumented migrants are not issued such cards. Also, one must demonstrate ties to Mexico (job, house, family) that would deter the card holder from settling in the US.

For more information, see

http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1266.html

Depending on the socioeconomic status of converts in Mexico, some might and some might not qualify for a card. Although public transport between the border and downtown San Diego is excellent (trolley), the temple is off I-5 in La Jolla, not really accessible to any nearby public transit, and pretty much only lends itself to those with cars. Perhaps many of their members aren't middle class enough to qualify for a card, and/or don't own automobiles? Even if one does own a car, border delays can be horrendous, which might deter temple attendance from south of the border.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2010 06:08PM by PtLoma.

Posted by: Steve ( )
Date: April 03, 2011 10:24PM

A border crossing card lets you cross faster. That's all.

Posted by: Inverso ( )
Date: October 05, 2010 06:10PM

There is a mission headquartered in TJ now. When I served it was part of the Hermosillo mission.

That doesn't mean there are a ton of members there, though, and they already have a temple in Hermosillo (next state over from Baja California). As for the cartel violence, I personally got more PTSD from Culiacán than I did from TJ.

It's not as easy to cross the border to San Diego as it used to be. Long-time residents of the border area used to easily get what was called a "mica" - a border crossing card that was good for short trips to shop, see family, etc. You'd get stopped if you tried to get past the immigration checkpoint between SD and LA without a passport and visa. (I thought they'd been discontinued, but it looks like they're still issued - just not at the embassy like before).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2010 06:13PM by Inverso.

Posted by: luminouswatcher ( )
Date: October 08, 2010 01:34AM

Posted by: VWolfe ( )
Date: April 03, 2011 02:45PM

What is wrong with you people?

I am in shock at the negative reaction to the Tijuana temple. It is obvious that those of you who spoke negatively don't have a clue. I served my mission in Tijuana Baja California and the church is very strong, not only in Tijuana, but in many of the surrounding cities and towns. There are countless members of the church and it continues to grow every year. It is impossible for members of the church to cross the border in order to attend the san diego temple unless they have some sort of documentation that allows them to, and for the most part its only for employment purpose. 95% of members, I'm guessing, do not fall under that category. This temple is an answer to countless prayers of dedicated members of the church who desire the blessings of the church.

Posted by: lissie ( )
Date: April 03, 2011 03:31PM

Blessings of the church like making their wallets 10% lighter and something to do in the evenings like free janitorial work, cause they don't have enough to do already.

Oh and judgement if the mother of the family has to work to help meet all of the above expectations, while juggling too many kids because she's trying to follow the commandment of multiplying and replenishing the earth.

What are you doing on here anyway?

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: April 03, 2011 10:13PM

How do you bring back a thread that's been off the board for 6 months?

Posted by: Leah ( )
Date: April 03, 2011 05:16PM

Well excuuuuuuse us.

But most people who live in the San Diego area, myself included, do not see T.J. as an upscale piece of real estate.

Thank goodness that it is getting harder and harder for illegals to cross into the US, due to better surveillance and stepped up patrols.

Posted by: glad2bout ( )
Date: April 03, 2011 10:28PM

VWolfe Wrote:
> What is wrong with you people?

What is wrong with you, VW? You belong to a cult whose purpose is to make money. Shining the light of day onto this unholy practice of conning and scamming people is necessary. Your support of the cult is unconscionable.

> I am in shock at the negative reaction to the
> Tijuana temple. It is obvious that those of you
> who spoke negatively don't have a clue.

You should be genuinely shocked by the core teachings of TSCC; polygamy, blood atonement, prophet worship, profit worship, dark skin is god's curse, the superiority of whites over all others to mention a few, god's conditional love.

Yes, I do have a clue, because I have lived the lie that is called mormonism. You are defending the indefensible and that is just wrong. VW? Time to get rid of that old model and upgrade to something better---maybe reality or gaining a conscience for starters.

Glad2B Out

Posted by: LongTimegone ( )
Date: April 04, 2011 01:45AM

JeeeEEEZusss, VWolfe, you don't sound at all like the other Mormon (lologo57) posting on this thread.

Nonetheless, welcome to the board. What was said at GC this weekend that shook your testimony so thoroughly that you needed to come here to preach and prove to yourself that you really, really, really still believe? If you tell us, maybe we can help.

You shouldn't read this next paragraph because it might get your garments in a twist. It's for my fellow heathens.

Do they add any local decorative touches to the foreign temples? I had a visual of a painting in oil-on-black-velvet canvas at the check-in, money-changer area of the temple. Jesus is greeting Elvis who is ready for an endowment session dressed in his white jumpsuit.

In the you're-not-worthy-to-enter waiting area, they could have a photo-opp with a sombrero-wearing burro. It would be a great way way to make some extra mall-fund dollars and give a tip of their baker's hat to a time-tested Tijuana-tourist tradition.

Posted by: tensolator ( )
Date: April 03, 2011 02:48PM

It makes about as much sense as Ft. Collins?

Posted by: Marco Torres ( )
Date: April 03, 2011 11:52PM

Ah, Fort Collins. Hopefully they are procuring land on I-25 directly across from the Budweiser plant. Yin/Yang vibe.

Posted by: Mateo Pastor ( )
Date: April 03, 2011 03:03PM

If you are unable to spell the word "border" correctly, I guess one can hardly trust your judgement on the commute from Tijuana to San Diego by normal (i.e. public) transport?

Posted by: Steve ( )
Date: April 03, 2011 10:22PM

It's in a business park west of the 5 overlooking the freeway so people can gawk at it's hideous architecture. (It won an award for it's ugliness).

And you cannot get to the border in 15 minutes unless you drive 90 miles an hour (not to mention the sometimes hours long waits crossing.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: April 05, 2011 03:24PM

Take a look at google Satellite maps... there are some businesses immediately north, but east and south are housing and/or apartments. To the west is the I5 freeway. The other side of the freeway is La Jolla Square Shopping Center, (where you get a great view of the castle.)

There is no access to the temple via the business park; you need to drive through all the tall orange/brown apartment complexes to get to it.

And I agree it would take quite a while to drive to it from the border.

Posted by: Marco Torres ( )
Date: April 03, 2011 11:50PM

So with Revolution Blvd essentially being shut down why not build there. Back in the early 90's I felt 'the spirit(s)' there many times.

Posted by: lulu ( )
Date: April 04, 2011 02:46AM

Posted by: To the Top ( )
Date: April 04, 2011 09:45AM

Posted by: topping ( )
Date: April 05, 2011 03:09PM

Posted by: nickerickson ( )
Date: April 05, 2011 03:33PM

WTF? All I remember of TJ was the underage drinking and the women and an accidental donkey show. Wonder if they will put the Temple by that? Just curious is all and if they will seal the donkey to anyone? Never know.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.