Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Paint ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 12:27PM

Is KSL even a real news source??

I'm a little creeped out by this returned missionary and his mother. Anyone else?

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=24215940&nid=1017&fm=most_popular&s_cid=article-popular-1

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2013 02:52PM by luvcake.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: minnieme ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 12:31PM

and with that music, ewwww

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 04:02PM

Posted by: Phantom Shadow ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 12:51PM

So why on earth couldn't this woman who loved her son so much arrive at the airport before he got off the plane? Something strange here.

Posted by: odin ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 02:49PM

mormon standard time.

Posted by: Finally Free! ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 03:08PM

I had a friend once when I was in the young men's program who actually believed that MST actually meant "Mormon Standard Time" because the area of the country it covered had a lot of Mormon's in it. I explained that it was Mountain Standard Time, you know, because of the mountains. And that when people mentioned "Mormon Standard Time" they meant that everything started late, not the time zone.

I had to look it up to prove it.

Posted by: Outcast ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 12:54PM

Couldn't possibly be staged, no way!

Posted by: Utah County Mom ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 01:11PM

Maybe she got caught in traffic . .you just never know. And we also don't know what their story is--maybe something traumatic happened while he was away on his mission or something in his childhood that made them unusually close.

I'd hold my son for a long time if he'd been away for 2 years, too--and there's nothing unnatural going on between us.

Posted by: smorg ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 01:42PM

This could be normal for them, of course... Though I do think 'long' is a bit of an understatement for this hug, for most normal people anyhow. Hugging for a minute or two isn't odd... but to be stuck like that for 4+ minutes in a busy airport merits some raised eye-brows.

Posted by: judyblue ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 01:13PM

Can we all just take a moment to appreciate the fact that his family reunion was taking place in front of a Starbucks?

Posted by: Sigmund ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 01:17PM

That was weird

Posted by: schweizerkind ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 01:20PM

Posted by: moe ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 01:22PM

How about that sign

" THE LEGEND RETURNS "

syrup of Ipecac in digital form

Posted by: seeking peace ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 01:26PM

I can't count the number of times this has been posted on my FB page today. I have four boys...nope, never...would a hug last beyond traditional "hug length." This made me uncomfortable to the point of finally having to quit watching.

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 01:51PM

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 02:23PM

Yeah, it did ring a bit Oedipal.

Posted by: Richard the Bad ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 03:51PM

Oedipus, Smoedipus, as long as he loves his mother:-)

Posted by: JamesM ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 01:59PM

I'm kind of creeped out, then I think, "She's pretty hot!" then I think, "I guess I'm old enough to think she's hot, right? Yes, I am."

So then I'm a little depressed about getting older.

Then I get a little turned on.

Then I remember it's a mother and son...and I'm creeped out again.

Posted by: rainwriter ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 02:40PM

He's got to be her oldest, maybe 20 years difference at most. I seriously thought she was 30 something instead of 40 something.

Posted by: grubbygert nli ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 03:35PM

I have the weirdest boner right now...

Posted by: Ragnar ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 03:56PM

For which one? (Not that there's anything wrong with that...)

Posted by: John_Lyle ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 02:19PM

This sounds/looks like one of those "You had to be there" moments.

I wonder how long it is before it gets pulled for the copyright violation on song?

Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 02:37PM

people to see is one has to ask, "what made it necessary for them to go so long without seeing each other?" I'm talking seriously here....why? Presuming that they could afford the price of a plane ticket why has this mother been apart from her son so long? Has he been in prison...unable to travel due to illness? No? Oh, it's just that he's a Mormon missionary.

There is no real reason for this. It's senseless, self-inflicted, cult-manufactured suffering.

And we are supposed to empathize.

Blech...

Posted by: BG ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 02:56PM

Good God... Get a room Elder ... that was creepy.

I think I got about a 20 second hug from girlfriend and now wife of many many years. ---

Posted by: Observer ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 03:03PM

Wait, where is the dad?

That man acts really like a child. What a cry baby.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 03:37PM

Or is she a step-mom? Looks kinda young.

Posted by: gardenbeestinkley ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 03:41PM

The mother has "Relief Society arms"........

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 03:45PM

Very awkward. I love me mom bazillions too but I couldn't hug her for more than about 30 seconds before it started to feel weird, especially since she looks like she could be his girlfriend. Seriously, get a room.

Posted by: mythb4meat ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 04:02PM

The parents are divorced. The father is named Doug. He and his new wife are there at the bottom of the escalator. Doug was one of the people making a comment below the ksl story.

Posted by: drilldoc ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 04:12PM

I was touched. I never had that kind of relationship with my parents, so it was nice to see that kind of endearing embrace from those two. On another note, the mom was pretty damn good looking and not your typical matronly TBM mom. She looked too young to be the mother of a 23 year old boy. She must have been a teen mom I would venture to say.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 04:23PM

Oh, well--my first thought was "What kind of cult sends a kid for 2 years to ORLANDO, FLORIDA, IN THE GOOD OL' USA and the family can't visit him...?

It wasn't like he was in some remote god-forsaken valley in Afghanistan with Taliban mortars raining down on him.

Posted by: Carol Y. ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 04:29PM

My older son and I have a profoundly deep soul bond that has nothing sexual about it. It just is. From 1999 to 2010, we were able to see each other only twice. When I moved back close to where he lives, we held each other for several minutes, just like they did. It truly was the most wonderful reunion with a child I could have ever imagined. Now, even two years later, we still give each other a loving hug and kiss whenever we see each other. If there is a Heaven, this is how I hope it would be.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.