Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: wonderer ( )
Date: October 03, 2010 05:39PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dawn ( )
Date: October 03, 2010 05:40PM

I just heard.. and you should hear the loud laughter coming from me! lol

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: October 04, 2010 09:51PM

Where else can you get so many WTF moments in one weekend? Once you get past the point of accepting what these clowns say as having any truth, it becomes hilarious to see the stuff they spit out and the TBM reaction to it.

Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: October 03, 2010 05:52PM

What if you played WoW as Nephi or Captain Moroni?

Posted by: Thrall ( )
Date: October 04, 2010 08:10AM

helemon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What if you played WoW as Nephi or Captain Moroni?

Then I would sic the Horde on you. You would be pwn'd.

Posted by: helios ( )
Date: October 03, 2010 06:02PM

Sigh, I suppose they could be. If played excessively I can see how games could possibly be addictive.

Frankly, I think Mormonism is more addictive. It cosumes more time and money. It's destructive. It has ruined more than one family. And for a lot of us, it was damned hard to quit.

Posted by: mtnmdwcookiemonster ( )
Date: October 04, 2010 02:11PM

Mormons are always so afraid of addiction that they don't know how to live. Fear of everything is so Mormon.

Date: October 04, 2010 02:15PM

I also am addicted to having sex with my wife, listening to music, and opening my eyes and seeing- if you use the Mormon uptight definition of addiction. Mormon addiction = doing normal things in moderation.

Posted by: schuwomann ( )
Date: October 03, 2010 06:05PM

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: October 03, 2010 06:05PM

One drink will make you an addict (alcoholic). He had a friend who told him that he became an addict when he took that first drink. There ya have it. Most people on the face of the Earth are Alcoholics. Well, now that I know it (I mean, I have a drink at least once a month), I'd better call LDSSS and get treatment.

Morons!

Posted by: helios ( )
Date: October 03, 2010 06:09PM

Yeah that kind of mentality always made me laugh. My first drink didn't make me an alcoholic. Actually, I hated my first drink. It took me a while before I liked beer. Still can't stand harder drinks especially wiskey.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: October 03, 2010 06:09PM

playing them 4 hours a day within a week. It'll get worse until I stop being very functional.

I've done that several times. I'm an old woman. I have no trouble seeing how much worse it would be for a young guy with testosterone and better games.

I agree with Ballard? Now I have to go take a shower, ick.

Posted by: Screen Name ( )
Date: October 03, 2010 06:27PM

I happen to believe that God may have lost a card game with Satan, and in so doing, Satan forced God to restore the only true and living church through a sex addict/narcissist.

Does this theory help to explain why the pure religion of Jesus Christ was midwifed through a jerk?

Works for me.

Another game was lost by God (through Satan's trickery) and so, Brigham Young was destined to be the second sex maniac of the Lord's Kingdom.

God has apparently improved His wagering, and so, we now have flawless towers of intellectual leadership, men so righteous that the Lord has delayed His coming, due to feelings of insecurity.

These are truths I've discovered after much thought, and I hope you will share your feelings about their possibility.

For me, it helps to make the slippery morphing puzzle pieces fit with very little swearing, as I seek to create the Big Picture for my sincere and curious soul.

Posted by: Bridget ( )
Date: October 04, 2010 11:28AM

LOL Hilarious, Screen Name :)

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: October 03, 2010 08:17PM

I'm glad these guys are addressing what really ails society.

WTF!

Posted by: LehiExMo ( )
Date: October 03, 2010 08:20PM

Texting and gaming are addictions just like chocolate, sex, and breathing.

Any of those things taken to an extreme can probably be proven to be a "bad thing. (TM)".

Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: October 03, 2010 08:37PM

I remember the good old days when n eldon tanner got up in gc and decried passing love notes in class and playing scrabble on the weekend.

it was inspiring.

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: October 03, 2010 08:45PM

Many things can be addictions.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: October 03, 2010 09:32PM

The things he was saying could have been said by a speaker at the exmo conference, talking about Mormonism as the drug. Especially when he said that anything that took away your free agency over your life was an addiction.

Posted by: Dances with Cureloms ( )
Date: October 04, 2010 01:35PM

It's all about patternicity and why people believe or do what they do. Since people want remember the false positives (I prayed a God helped me find my car keys) and don't remember the true negatives (I prayed and God still let my loved one die), this type of belief is reinforced in an addicting manner.

Posted by: piscespirate ( )
Date: October 03, 2010 09:03PM

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: October 04, 2010 01:13AM

Building temples is an addiction.

Passing judgement on fellow man is an addiction.

Posting on RfM is an addiction.

Not all addictions are bad, you see.

Posted by: shamdango ( )
Date: October 04, 2010 02:37AM

Right, so addiction is real. That's just something we have to cope with in life.

Texting and gaming could be considered addictive -- with real support groups and medicines and shrinks and stuff. I mean, it's not like he's wrong.

I haven't heard the talk, so I'm not sure if he's trying to make a point that there are better things to do with your life than text or game.

If the argument is that texting or gaming somehow interrupts someone thinking about Mormonism, I might actually help him argue the point.

The more people think about Mormonism, the more likely they are to figure out that it's wasting their time. :)

Some addictions are more equal than others. Or something.

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: October 04, 2010 04:28AM

AA-hijacked spinoff plan to cure addicts.

Ballard said that addiction is not only a physical and mental problem, but a SPIRITUAL disease. He promised that PRAYER can cure an addiction. God, I hope addicts don't believe him! They need REAL help!

Ballard didn't get that deep, Shummy.

Addicts = the new "golden contacts" for the Morg. The cult loves to prey on the weak.

Date: October 04, 2010 02:23PM

AA is horrible also and has the worst "cure" rate of almost any program designed to help addicts ever studied. It is only ubiquitous because of tradition. Alcoholism is not a spiritual disease and is not cured through use of a "higher power" or prayer. Real help is available from qualified counselors, community members, doctors and hospitals.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: October 04, 2010 08:28PM

Lemme guess, to borrow a phrase you used elsewhere, you're trying to bait someone into a response...

I would generally keep quiet, but in this case it's a matter of life-and-death, and your nonsense--which is utterly at odds with the views of the American Medical Association, the two APA's, and the Veterans' Administration--reveals the sort of gullibility usually associated with unrecovered Mormonism.

Incidentally, there are at least half-a-dozen here with long-term, continuous abstinence, acquired in AA, a reality that is at odds with that denial you're manifesting.

Posted by: voltaire ( )
Date: October 04, 2010 08:36AM

Posted by: Misfit ( )
Date: October 04, 2010 11:20AM

One definition of an addiction is that a person continues to do it in spite of it having a negative impact on his/her life, and it becomes a threat to their mental or physical health. You have no idea how many people I see on the freeway staring down at their cellphones in stop and go rush hour traffic, thus putting themselves and others in danger. And all because they don't have enough common sense to pull over at the next exit if a communication is really that important and can't wait 20 minutes. One time I passed a truck driver at night who was holding up traffic. As I passed him, I could see him staring at the glow of his cell phone. I would say, if a person can't stay away from their phone while driving, he/she may not be addicted to texting, but they do have some issues with impulsivity to work on.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: October 04, 2010 11:23AM

I wonder if my daughter was listening. She texts 24/7.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: October 04, 2010 11:25AM

Actually, I just remembered--she was watching conference Saturday morning and I could hear her phone getting text after text. I said something to her about it--"I didn't know it was okay to text while watching conference." I know--I'm a bitch. I have to get my jabs in. She laughed . . .

Posted by: ExmoMom ( )
Date: October 04, 2010 11:32AM

I don't think most people text as an addiction. They text as a way to communicate in a harried, busy world.

I think txting is fine, so long as there are guidelines for teens especially

No texting while driving - ever

No texting while walking, biking or anything elese physical- you could hurt yourself or someone else

No sexting - possible exploitation and criminal problems

No texting during class -

So maybe that's it--LDS Inc. doesn't want members to text during their hideously boring meetings!!!!

Posted by: goldarn ( )
Date: October 04, 2010 09:42PM

When I was the ward chorister, I saw a lot of the teens were texting. I know my teen (our family's only church attender) brings his iPod to church and plays games or something, just like some of the other teens.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: October 04, 2010 02:32PM

I actually got quite a lot done while the board was down...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.