Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: silhouette ( )
Date: January 14, 2011 08:52PM

Had tea and beer in my cart. Someone (I hardly knew back in the day) saw me and saw my cart and inquired about it.

"Silhouete, hows it going?"
"Fine, yourself?"
"Good... Is that beer..and tea?!"
"Yup."
"I am not sure what to think.."
"Well, maybe you should talk to my Bishop...Don't want you to feel guilty now."

I left it at that. I wonder how long it will take him to figure out I released my Bishop already.. haha

Control at it's best. Most religions don't judge nor would their members have the stone to inquire about such things.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: January 14, 2011 08:54PM

OMG!!! Just how flippin' intrusive and judgmental can you get!

Posted by: robertb ( )
Date: January 14, 2011 09:30PM

Similar thing happened to me years ago. I had left the church and I had coffee in my shopping cart when a church member approached me and commented on it. I checked out behind him and when the cashier rang up his liter of regular (not diet) orange soda, I said so the cashier could hear, "Hey, Bro. So-and-So, orange soda. Aren't you diabetic?" (He was.) He fumed and got the hell out of the store.

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: January 14, 2011 11:34PM

Who wants their medical status broadcast to all within earshot? And diabetics need to keep something high in sugar around in case their blood sugar crashes. Or it could have been for someone else, but no matter how you slice it, IT'S NOBODY ELSES BUSINESS!!!

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: January 15, 2011 03:43AM

It was nobody's business what robertb had in his shopping cart -- robertb merely paid a nosey busybody back in kind. If you don't want people pointing out your (percieved) flaws then don't start pointing fingers yourself.

Simple, isn't it? In fact it's considered a golden rule unless I'm mistaken.

Posted by: SilkRose (not logged in0 ( )
Date: January 15, 2011 11:20AM

freaking junk food and soda.

It is supposed to be things like Peanut Butter and Crackers, or Orange Juice, Granola bars, etc. Not a snickers and coke.

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: January 16, 2011 01:36AM

and when your blood sugar crashes to say, 60 mg/dcl, you need a simple sugar to raise it quick. You can buy glucose tablets in drug stores to keep around, but orange juice, or a full sugar soda will probably be more readily available.

It's a good thing it wasn't me as the customer, I would have replied "It's for our 12 step sex addiction meeting tonight. See you there" in a very loud voice.

Posted by: Major Bidamon ( )
Date: January 16, 2011 09:04AM

you're missing the point. If someone kicks you, you can kick back. Sorry his diabetic feelings were hurt. Next time he will think twice before engaging the mouth.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: January 16, 2011 11:54AM

Hervey Willets Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> and when your blood sugar crashes to say, 60
> mg/dcl, you need a simple sugar to raise it quick.
> You can buy glucose tablets in drug stores to
> keep around, but orange juice, or a full sugar
> soda will probably be more readily available.
>
> It's a good thing it wasn't me as the customer, I
> would have replied "It's for our 12 step sex
> addiction meeting tonight. See you there" in a
> very loud voice.

Yes, Hervey. But YOU would not have commented on the fact that Robert had coffee in his shopping trolley, would you?

Which is the point of his post...

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: January 16, 2011 09:24AM

a coke....about 4 oz or so....not too much....and if your blood sugar gets too low.... ya get the sweats and the shakes and feel like total crap...trust me......and VERY irritable...and peanut butter and crakers or granola bars wont be quick enough...liquid is the way to go....really glucose tablets are what some people carry....anyway...robertB aint perfect neither...but the guy deserved the comment!

Posted by: OlMan ( )
Date: January 14, 2011 09:37PM

There's just something private about what's in a shopping cart.

Even if it's just eggs, milk and veggies, I'd rather they not be inspecting.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: January 14, 2011 09:37PM

I'd have things like: coffee, tea, and hard liqueur in my cart~! :-)

I used to wonder what LDS people thought when they saw me, and they did, but... not a one of them said a word! It was priceless!

Well, at least it was in CA not UT!~! I still don't know why nobody said anything when all that Mormon contraband was in my grocery basket! I sure wasn't going to say anything! :-)

Posted by: Major Bidamon ( )
Date: January 14, 2011 11:22PM

I haven't outed myself yet and the DW isn't keen on me bringing booze into the house, but I still walk past the wine and beer at the local supermarket with secret lust in my heart ;)

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: January 14, 2011 11:35PM

But tea and beer? You must've really gone over the edge!

No wonder the poor guy almost lost it. I mean I'm still reeling, and I don't even go to church!

Posted by: Stormy ( )
Date: January 15, 2011 01:15AM

And that's why I love any dinners at our Parish...beer, wine, wine coolers...Catholics know how to do it right...party on...right in the school gym...not to forget the real communion wine...no juice for the Catholics.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: January 14, 2011 11:36PM

I'm glad you didn't let the judgmental comment slide. Good job!

Posted by: loveskids ( )
Date: January 15, 2011 12:22AM

Whenever I go grocery shopping my 7 year old dd comes along. I started buying coffee about 6 months ago. She insisted we "hide" it in the cart. I don't think she really understood why. After a few months of that I just throw it in and we both laugh. Hiding Coffee is pretty funny.

Posted by: Lucifer Fielding Smith ( )
Date: January 15, 2011 12:56AM

I know the feeling, i'm always getting busted buying tampons for the wife. It's embarrassing. I just say, "it's not mine, it's my wife's" -- "sure, Brother Smith".

Posted by: formermormer ( )
Date: January 15, 2011 01:03AM

What about the annoying cashier who comments on everything you buy?

"Ooh! Somebody must be having a party tonight!"

"Ooh! Are these yummy?"

"Oh boy! Those look so good!"

Posted by: SilkRose (not logged in) ( )
Date: January 15, 2011 11:23AM

Put these and only these in your cart and REALLY throw off the nosy cashiers lol..

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: January 16, 2011 10:07AM

Don't forget the spatula!

Posted by: drewmeister ( )
Date: January 16, 2011 10:31AM

Date: January 16, 2011 12:30PM

formermormer Wrote:
> What about the annoying cashier who comments on
> everything you buy?
>
> "Ooh! Somebody must be having a party tonight!"
>
> "Ooh! Are these yummy?"
>
> "Oh boy! Those look so good!"

I don't mind them. In fact, I told a cashier that something really was very tasty.

Next time I went in she came over to me and thanked me for my recommendation!

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: January 15, 2011 04:04AM

The time I was busted at the store, the TBM woman grabbed her kids and walked away from me in the opposite direction when she saw that I had some coffee in my basket, as I was only getting a few items so I didn't have a regular cart.

Posted by: roflmao ( )
Date: January 15, 2011 06:38AM

I have to go to a state liquor store to get wine. Which is a lot like going to see your parole officer. Not elegant like in grown up states.

Anyway, since I go there a lot the staff knows me and tells great stories about some people taking cabs, or wearing glasses and hats so they aren't recognized.

I have told neighbors that the new small paper bottles, like mini bottles but for wine, I told them they are for my school aged childrens lunches!

Great reaction, one laughed, the other looked like she was about to splode!

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: January 15, 2011 11:26AM

At my local WalMart, there is a specific cashier where you can buy cigarettes. My DD and I call it the "heathen line". Usually, the shortest line because the mormons can't afford to be seen in it. You know, the whole "avoiding the appearance of evil" thing.

(Yes, we live in Utah County)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2011 11:26AM by caedmon.

Posted by: danboyle ( )
Date: January 15, 2011 11:30AM

that someone might be having more fun than they are.

When you spend your whole life denying yourself simple pleasures, it ticks you off when someone else is not a miserable as you are.

"Endure to the End"...there is a reason this is such a prominent saying in mormonism

Date: January 16, 2011 12:31PM

danboyle Wrote:
> that someone might be having more fun than they
> are.
>
> When you spend your whole life denying yourself
> simple pleasures, it ticks you off when someone
> else is not a miserable as you are.
>
> "Endure to the End"...there is a reason this is
> such a prominent saying in mormonism

That's sad but true.

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: January 15, 2011 03:08PM

My TBM mom loved to read those trashy romance novels. She would buy them by the dozen, it seemed.

But when she was finished with them, she didn't want to keep them. So they were donated to charity.

But Dad did not donate them to the local Deseret Industries store, because he didn't want the Mormons in his small town to see what Mom was reading. He would give them to the Catholics over at St. Vincent DePaul.

Posted by: They don't want me back ( )
Date: January 16, 2011 09:31AM

I'm sure that's true, better go ask "The Church" what you think, I know it's unsafe for you to think for yourself!!!!

But I'll tell you this much, minding your own business will go a long way.

Posted by: Misfit ( )
Date: January 16, 2011 12:27PM

While a student at SLC, I saw a sister at the grocery store on a Sunday. When we saw each other, she seemed kind of embarrassed, like I caught her in the act of doing something naughty. I didn't say anything to her except give her a smile and a brief hello. I really wanted to start flirting with her since she was kind of cute, but I could tell by her state of embarrassment that maybe this was a bad time. Maybe guys feel horny before they feel shame. I don't know. All I could think of was, "Well, I'm here too."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.