Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: March 06, 2013 01:48AM

So I am COMPLETELY fed up with having adult ADD or whatever it is I might have. My entire life I have dealt with constantly feeling like an idiot and not progressing in areas of life like I've wanted to. I have never gone to a doctor but plan on it.

All I know is that caffeine was a life saver for me. Its too bad I didn't get to experience it until AFTER I quit the church. However, I can't keep pounding coffee all day and night. While caffeine helps its simply not effective enough. That why I am going to seek real medication from a doctor. Its really interesting how I have reacted to pain killers like codeine and percocet (don't worry I am not some pill addict). While most other people get really loopy and dysfunctional, I become EXTREMELY focused. I could sit down and start reading textbooks and learn things that I would struggle with before. I remember back in college when I was struggling with an upper division finance class. I had a bad sore throat so my roommate gave me a codeine and I started reading my textbook like a madman. I got through have the book in a day and did good on the final exam. The same thing has happened on several other occasions.

Does anyone have experience with medications for ADD? How has it helped? What was it like before and after?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: anon4this ( )
Date: March 06, 2013 02:10AM

“Driven to Distraction: Recognizing and Coping with Attention Deficit Disorder" by Edward Hallowell and John Ratey

Read about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driven_to_Distraction_(ADHD)

Order here: http://www.amazon.com/Driven-Distraction-Revised-Recognizing-Attention/dp/0307743152Order it here:

Posted by: jong1064 ( )
Date: March 07, 2013 02:52AM

Yep, I agree with Driven to Distraction. I was diagnosed at age 42. I wish I had known sooner. I am currently taking Vyvance, but I took Adderall in the beginning. The diagnosis and medication completely changed my life.

Posted by: eldorado ( )
Date: March 06, 2013 03:16AM

Have you tired Rhodiola Root? I bought an herbal supplement from Sprouts called Attention Plus Kids, (they have an adult version also) for my son, it has helped him a bit, well me too since the only way i can get him to take it,is if I take it also. Hope you find something that works for you.

Date: March 06, 2013 12:40PM

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: March 06, 2013 12:48PM

As an adult I think that ADD is a powerful tool. Sure the inattentiveness and the constant need to be moving can get in the way, but the flip side is that as an adult with experiences you are uniquely prepared to channel the creative juices that come with ADD. Also the inattentiveness allows you to not get sidetracked in stupid circular activities that inhibit your career development. It is all a matter of seeing the good, and channeling the bad.

Posted by: skeptifem ( )
Date: March 06, 2013 12:55PM

some people in my family have it- be prepared to get treated like a junkie. Especially by doctors who have little experience with mental issues.

they will write you paper scripts that you cannot get replaced (great for people with ADD, eh?).

Posted by: absentminded ( )
Date: March 06, 2013 01:50PM

hmm. There are lots of conditions that cause attention issues. I'd see psychiatrist and find out what they think your deal is. It could be something simple like anxiety and codeine just chills you out enough to think straight. Generally speaking, stimulants are the gold standard for adhd.

For me, caffeine is relaxing...to a point. 2 cups off coffee has me awake. I can take a nap on ritalin or amphetamine. So that said, for people with adhd it doesn't have the same effect as it would on someone who doesn't. I usually get a lot done at first with the stims. After a while, I just spin in my chair. I guess it would help to not have a boring job.

On another note, hyperfocus is great if it is on something beneficial. I have half finished projects all over the place that I just got bored with and moved on. It sucks and it hurts when people call you lazy because you don't follow through.

Try the drugs, maybe they'll work great for you. I know I said I can take a nap on the drugs, but if I take a high enough dose to focus all day I get jittery and my heart rate gets too high. Then I just get used to it again and I am back to sleep in boredom. I don't like it. So I supplement my amphetamines with tea or coffee. haha.

The point I would like to drive home is it doesn't matter what my experiences are or anyone else on this forum. It is too small of a sample size to be reliable information. Your mileage will absolutely vary. The drugs could be a godsend for you, or just kind of meh like they are for me. Or maybe non-stimulants are your thing. Go see a doc.

Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: March 06, 2013 02:02PM

Yes, it can be quite frustrating. Sometimes I feel like I'm lucky I do well under pressure because I end up only being able to focus when a deadline looms.

Another problem with having some form of ADD is... Hey what's that?!

Seriously though, my doctor gave me a survey to help diagnose it and I never got around to it. I swear that's probably the way to diagnose it.

Posted by: brownie ( )
Date: March 06, 2013 11:42PM

Haha, squeebee! When my dr. gave me that self-assessment, I thought, 'yup, they're *clearly* missing the issue!'
Is giving me a *piece of paper* to BRING BACK really going to work?
Bwaaa-h-haaaaaaaaa!
...and if it does, by some miracle, come back, it's crumpled & coffee-stained & partially filled out!

Posted by: greenwomyn ( )
Date: March 06, 2013 11:47PM

A good-quality Sativa strain works wonders for me.

Posted by: Phantom Shadow ( )
Date: March 06, 2013 02:25PM

Both were diagnosed as adults--both saw the same psychiatrist-pharmacologist for counseling. I think it went on several months. DH was 55 and DS 37.

Both have taken dexedrine and are not addicted. It is a pain to get the prescription--DH does it by mail so he can get a 3-month supply at once. He tried Ritalin last year and was unhappy with the way he felt on it--edgy and grouchy. He is convinced the dexedrine gives him dry mouth but the shrink says this is rare. When he wants to be creative he leaves off the med. No withdrawal symptoms if he runs out.

Be aware that recent studies show that adults with ADD often have other conditions that are somehow related, and just last week a study showed that there are five conditions that are genetically linked--autism, ADD & ADHD, bipolar, schizophrenia, and depression. Also ADD and the autistic spectrum are often linked to some degree. (I don't have links at hand but can find them if you like.)

I wish we had known about the related issues when they were first diagnosed. It would have saved our family a lot of grief.

By the way, once DH was diagnosed his career took off and he earned a lot more money. You have to learn how to deal with it and you can do great. Your family and loved ones need to learn about it too.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: March 06, 2013 03:33PM

My husband has adult ADD. We would probably be divorced right now if he hadn't had it properly diagnosed and treated but it's been life changing that he did so. He takes Adderall and it works well for him. He's a different person when he's on his meds. When it's untreated, he's so distracted and impatient that he's a real bear to live with. Even my kids can see the difference in he personality when he's his real self (i.e. not having to cope with all the challenges ADD throws at him all alone). He had to try several different things til he found one that worked for him.

He'd probably get more good from it if he watched his diet. There are dietary and health habits that will boost the effectiveness of any ADD meds and really help you feel in control. I also recommend either reading books or taking classes to help you develop habits that work with your ADD to make your life simpler. Some of these books are written by people with ADD, so are quick and to the point, easy to understand. Simplifying your life and developing habits really help. For example, DH always used to loose his keys until I figured out where he tended to dump stuff when he came home from work. I stuck a basket there and he made an effort to always dump stuff in the basket. We also bought a label maker and labeled all the shelves, what goes where, and he's much better at keeping track of things he used to lose. He found that very helpful. You can write on a mirror with a dry erase pen - leaving himself notes on the mirror have helped a lot too. But my point is, little coping things like this can make things a ton easier. Because medication will help but you also have to learn skills you may have missed out on before your ADD was diagnosed. And, there are different things that help people with ADD - organization books aren't always written for the ADD mind but there are those specialty books that help you get organized in ways that make sense to you.

Finally, don't beat up on yourself because of the ADD. It's a medical condition - not a statement about your personal abilities and worth. You are fine. You just need to know how to manage your condition, the way people do with Type 2 Diabetes. It doesn't effect their worth as a person. However, studies have found a high degree of empathy and compassion in people with ADD, almost like a side effect of the distraction. You are absolutely terrific and you'll figure this ADD thing out. :)

Posted by: Anontoo ( )
Date: March 06, 2013 03:44PM

I have it and I take Aderol. That stuff is my lifeline. I know it can be taken as a stimulant but for me it just keeps me focused like a laser beam and since I happen to have insomnia and don't sleep much it keeps me awake all day too. I am all about natural healthy alternatives to presciption drugs but I have not found a natural suppliment that will do for me what Aderol does. It works for me in a very good way.

Posted by: Phantom Shadow ( )
Date: March 06, 2013 06:28PM

DH reminds me that ADD and ADHD are covered by the Disabilities Act (if you are in the US.) You might want to check that out because employers covered by the Act have to make certain concessions to people with ADD.

Posted by: EXON46 ( )
Date: March 06, 2013 06:38PM

I'm sorry what where we talking about?

Date: March 06, 2013 07:11PM

EXON46 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm sorry what where we talking about?

Yeah, I totally forgot I was reading my own post. Thanks for snapping me out of it, lol.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 06, 2013 07:03PM

I know from working with kids with ADD/ADHD that it can often take time and tweaking to get the meds right -- the correct medication and an effective dosage.

I agree with Phantom Shadow that it is not unusual for people with ADD/ADHD to have other conditions as well. Anecdotally, I've seen it linked a fair amount with learning disabilities and sometimes OCD.

I always tell parents to be on the lookout for depression and poor self esteem. ADD/ADHD individuals get constant negative feedback on their behavior which affects their self image profoundly.

ADD/ADHD definitely has an impact on work and school performance. In kids, if unmedicated, it usually results in a one, sometimes two letter grade hit.

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: March 07, 2013 01:15AM

LOTS.

My husband of 20 years is ADD. I, on the other hand, am extremely organized and detail-oriented. I know this is harsh, but I have absolutely no patience with his distractibility, his hundreds of unfinished projects, and his forgetfulness anymore. He lives in a constant state of chaos.

One of the craziest things he ever did was decide to build a "tropical paradise" in our backyard. He spent thousands of dollars to have 13 huge Live Oak trees (complete with beautiful Spanish Moss) cut down and their stumps ground.

It's a decade later, and I have yet to see one palm tree or fruit tree planted in my backyard. Every time I look out my back door, I get pissed off all over again. It doesn't seem to bother him a bit - he just moved on to other projects.

He has been on Adderall, which worked well . . . but he was too ADD to remember to take it or to consistently keep his Doctor's appointments. He lapses in med compliance more than he actually takes the drugs.

I don't where you live OP, but there is a big culture among Utah Mormons in taking herbal/natural supplements to treat ADD. I say, to hell with that! Take the damn drugs and get your life back.

The fact that caffeine (a stimulant) helps you focus is a huge signal that you are ADD and that you can probably be successfully treated with a stimulant prescription drug. If you have trouble remembering to take your pills, get a family member to prompt you at the same time every day.

Good luck.

;o)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2013 01:34AM by shannon.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: March 07, 2013 01:37AM

My ADD son wears a watch with a timer on it to remind him to take his meds.

He wouldn't have the life he does if he didn't take medication to help him stay on track.

It would be nice if diet and herbal remedies helped, but they don't. It's only wishful thinking.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.