Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Widget ( )
Date: March 06, 2013 03:10AM

The latest year of financial data for LD$ Inc. at charityfocus.ca is 2011. Each of the Morg's branches and wards is registered separately as a charity, with the title of "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints [name of the church unit]."

So far, I've examined financial data for 15 branches and 22 wards. The average "total revenue" for 2011 was $354,483.05. The average amount sent on to a "Qualified Donee" (i.e., LD$/Morg HQ) was $315,503.92.

Multiply $315,503.92 x 490 church units in Canada and you get nearly $154.6 million siphoned off from Mo-bots in the Great White North and funnelled into the Celestial Coffer in SLC.

No doubt, the money managers at LD$ Inc.'s securities trading arm, Ensign Peak Advisors, have been VERY pleased w/ millions of $$$ from Canada. There's nothing quite like the spiritual 'rush' that comes from trading bonds, index funds, derivatives, currencies, and other financial instruments, all in the name of Je$u$ Chri$t, Pre$ident & CEO of the Latter-day $aint Crutch!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Curious ( )
Date: March 06, 2013 03:15AM

That seems like a LOT of money from what can't be a very large LDS population.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: March 06, 2013 03:23PM

From Wiki:

"As of January 1, 2011, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints reported 182,415 members, 47 stakes, 325 wards, 5 districts, 155 branches, 8 missions, 7 temples, and 163 Family History Centers, in Canada."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Church_of_Jesus_Christ_of_Latter-day_Saints_in_Canada

Someone else will have to do the math. Not my strong point. But yeah, seems like a lot. I guess we have to estimate the number of children and deduct that from the total number of members reported and then start dividing and all sorts of crazy math stuff to get an average per adult.

While I guess I am still counted among the faithful at least my loonies aren't in the coffers any more. Yay for me.

PS to say: 163 Family History Centres in Canada?? Really ??

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2013 03:24PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: March 06, 2013 03:39PM

That's less than $1000 per person per year.

Now let's fudge it a bit and say that only 20% are paying tithing, then we average things a bit and assume they pay around $5200 per year per tithe payer on average.

That likely exceeds the global average.

Posted by: Scully ( )
Date: March 06, 2013 07:48AM

Widget this is really eye opening, factual analysis.
Thanks for sharing!!

I'd be curious If you could get an actual total, rather than the estimate. Sample size can skew results for even the most careful projections.

Im not familiar with the site you are using, but If you need some help loading data or running numbers, let me know.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 06, 2013 10:46AM

That seems to leave an average of just a little over a thousand dollars for each of the 15 branches and 22 wards. Can that be right? What is that money used for?

Posted by: Cali Sally ( )
Date: March 06, 2013 11:15AM

Ah. Wouldn't it be something if donors actually knew how their money was being used? Funny how most normal charities DO disclose how they use donor money. Guess Mormons are a VERY peculiar people.

Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: March 06, 2013 12:00PM

In years previous, the Canadian donations were filtered through BYU. Who is listed as the qualified donee?

Do you have a link to the data?

thanks

Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: March 06, 2013 03:10PM

Filtered / Laundered, Toe-may-to / Toh-mah-to...

Posted by: deconverted2010 ( )
Date: March 06, 2013 02:02PM

Yes, we Canadian are very generous with the cult. It makes me sick to see the money going to the lds corporation when the budgets in every ward I've been in are ridiculously low. This is my present day greatest beef with the organization, they take all these money and still overwork the members.

check this out. This was BYU, over 100 million in one year.

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,470854,470854#msg-470854

The following are the 2011 results from the Canada Revenue site. They used to oney-launder the money to BYU but in 2011 they found other countries to send it to. (like Rob info shows above, as well)

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,629771,629771#msg-629771

And you can bet that come May (or June) of this year I will be posting their 2012 numbers.

Posted by: chris ( )
Date: March 06, 2013 03:43PM

Here's a graph I put together a while back from the 2008 numbers.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: March 06, 2013 07:33PM

And not 1 f'king penny from me...EVER!

Ron Burr

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.