Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: March 08, 2013 01:21PM

I'm thinking of starting a church e-branch of it. Maybe I'll call it The Church of Transmoism of Singularity Saints. You don't have to attend in body. Donations by paypal or e-check only, of course.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2013 01:26PM by Jesus Smith.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: March 08, 2013 01:30PM

All joking aside I am quite drawn to the transhumanist idea. I am not technologically fluent but I place no small amount of trust in the idea that as humans we can be so much more in large part because of technology.

Call it a charity and do something good with the money and you might just have an idea.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2013 01:32PM by jacob.

Date: March 08, 2013 03:39PM

I'm actually a fan of the ideas behind transhumanism and singularitarianism. It's probably inevitable if we don't destroy ourselves with WMD or get destroyed by a natural disaster. I'd welcome the singularity if it happens in my lifetime.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: March 09, 2013 03:40PM

I don't mean to get all Star Trek geeky on you but why wouldn't humanity's pending self annihilation be a catalyst for transcendence? It was for the Vulcans.

Date: March 11, 2013 08:47AM

I don't know the history in star trek or vulcans.

I suppose what you're saying is that the potential for annihilation would be a motive for humanity to pursue tehcnology or human driven transcendence. It could. WMD and other disasters are a big variable. I don't know if I can call the bet.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.