Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: behindcurtain ( )
Date: March 09, 2013 11:27PM

There is not enough time in life to do everything you want to do. Most people spend their time working, going to school, raising children, etc., and when they can they go on vacation. When all their duties are finished for the day, they may relax by watching a movie. The duty to read scriptures is often done hurriedly so people can move on to other things.

There is a huge, huge amount of information available. Nobody can read all of it. Bias is inevitable. Without bias people would not know what to read and what not to read.

It takes time to learn the true history of Mormonism. Quite a bit of time. Many people just don't have that kind of time. Their bias tells them that it is not worth reading in the first place, and that they should read other things.

Time, time, time. Not enough time.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: March 10, 2013 12:02AM

It's surprising how much time I have now with children gone and especially since I've stopped attending church or participating in it's activities. I've learned so much already! Not just a thorough study of TSCC and it's history... I've been studying philosophy, psychology, evolution, astronomy, cosmology. The world is so much bigger than I thought it was! Instead of reading scriptures, I read Plato. Instead of praying, I think about the origins of the universe.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2013 12:03AM by rationalguy.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: March 10, 2013 12:05AM

Once the kids left home, that's when I found time to do more reading.

That's when I left mormonism.

Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: March 10, 2013 10:36AM

This computer is like having the Library At Alexandria and The Library Of Congress at home.

I find myself studying at the library more than I prolly should be.

I love wasting time

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: March 10, 2013 03:38PM

Time enjoyed is not time wasted.

Posted by: slimchance ( )
Date: March 10, 2013 10:41AM

My career stabilized and my youngest child was out of baby stage at about the same time. I had more time. That's when I had the chance to study all the issues "on my shelf". That's when I left the church behind.

I'M SO GLAD I'M NOT WASTING ANYMORE TIME AT TSCC!

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: March 10, 2013 10:58AM

behindcurtain Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It takes time to learn the true history of
> Mormonism.

But it's not necessary to learn all the true history. It takes very little info to decide it's all bunk. Heck, I didn't study my way out of the church, I just thought my way out. "Does any of this stuff I've been taught really make any sense? Is any of it plausible? Am I having actual spiritual experiences or do I want them so badly I'm just doing a mind trick? Would I have converted to Mormonism if I hadn't been born into the church? Why do I see so many happy non-Mormons and so many miserable Mormons?..."

All the true history stuff? Interesting, but not essential. It can become just one of those things competing for our limited time. I know, sometimes it's necessary to get closure and to satisfy our little demons by sifting through the mountain of crap that is Mormonism, even though the conclusion is the same when we're done with it all. But there are so many other things that could be done instead. Some of them are exceptionally fun.

Posted by: Ragnar ( )
Date: March 10, 2013 03:14PM

He had all the time in the world, but was still not able to do the reading he had dreamt about...

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: March 10, 2013 03:26PM

I think people make time for what they find important. I had one child in elementary school, one in junior high, a part-time job and a husband working 60 hours a week when facts I encountered on the internet made researching Mormonism important to me. I stayed up nights til 3:00 a.m. reading books and surfing Mormon sites on the web. My kids started accusing me of making the computer my favorite child. My house definitely went through 6 months of the least clean it's ever been. But figuring out whether or not I was wasting my life and misleading my children was the MOST important thing in my life.

They may not have time to question but once the questions pile up high enough, people will make time to figure things out - IF it's important to them.

Posted by: Utah County Mom ( )
Date: March 10, 2013 09:47PM

Here's what I'm doing with my spare time:

* Getting into shape--I've lost 35 pounds! Half way there!
* Spending time with my daughter and her horse and learning to ride myself. Mucking stalls is good exercise too . . . We're spend a good part of our Sunday with horses.
* Took up a long-lost hobby and having fun with it.
* Spending time with REAL friends, not "Church-made" friends.

Life is good . . .

Posted by: dogeatdog ( )
Date: March 11, 2013 12:35AM

This is an interesting point on your part, and I think probably pretty accurate.

Posted by: too much joy ( )
Date: March 11, 2013 01:23AM

Keep the sheeple busy and preoccupied, and they won't have time to think. I know so many Mormons like that. They aren't too busy to shop for clothes, get their hair done, go on a cruise without the kids, etc. I think people like Rationalguy and most of us here just love learning, for the sake of knowing stuff.

Time spent learning is never a waste of time.
Time spent exercising "
Time spent with loved ones "
Time spent serving those in need "
Time spent earning a living "

Perhaps, the Mormon cult is the ONLY TRUE waste of time.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.