Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: behindcurtain ( )
Date: March 10, 2013 08:24PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: * ( )
Date: March 10, 2013 08:39PM

Marie sang the national anthem for the nascar race in las vegas today. On a Sunday!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 10, 2013 08:51PM

Marie remarried her first husband in the Las Vegas temple not too long ago.

Posted by: amos ( )
Date: March 10, 2013 08:57PM

Marie has had her 2nd annointing and is no longer bound by commandments.

Posted by: sd ( )
Date: March 11, 2013 05:05PM

of splooge joke?

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: March 11, 2013 06:38PM

Posted by: vastique ( )
Date: March 20, 2013 01:36PM

He's never read of the 2nd anointing?

Posted by: Gay Philosopher ( )
Date: March 10, 2013 08:58PM

Without knowing the answer, I can guess: yes. The costs to them of not remaining associated with the Church and somehow "active" would be incalculable. Among Mormons, they're surely regarded as royalty. And that status translates into real cash--and lots of it. Who would want to give that up?

Additionally, they're heterosexual, and married. They're a perfect fit for Mormonism, regardless of whether or not they believe it's true. More importantly, it's *useful*.

Beneath the cultural artifices exist two Homo sapiens sapiens animals that eat, piss, shit, and fuck--Donnie and Marie. Their celebrity is imaginary, but all the more powerful for being contrived by the imagination of the collective and reinforced by media.

Steve

Posted by: mothermayeye ( )
Date: March 11, 2013 04:52AM

My guess is that because they are famous and high profile members of the church that the church pays them to remain active and claim to be true believers

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: March 12, 2013 03:48AM

It is in their best (financial) interest to at least appear to be Mormon, because that's probably where the bulk of their "fandom" is. If they were to openly jump ship, they would lose a lot of disillusioned fans.

Posted by: agrazingmace ( )
Date: March 11, 2013 08:00AM

well sadly, i think all the osmonds still believe.
donny's sons have all gone on missions
though one of his sons, jeremy, did escape the clutches a few years back, but daddy lured him back into the fold by finding a nice mormon girl for him to marry.

alan osmond is by far the worst, check out his facebook page, full of glenn beckisms and racism and homophobia.

would be great for just one osmond to see the light as the publicity generated might put the spotlight on the truth, also imagine the loss of tithing.

it would be a big blow to the church if this happened.

Posted by: mollyannaaz ( )
Date: March 11, 2013 11:38AM

Recently saw them on GMA or one of those shows and you could see Donny's "eternal smile". Marie was in a short dress with sleeves however but perhaps she just wears the top. Or hikes them all the way up like Ann Romney.

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: March 11, 2013 06:35PM

osmonds...

not very talented,

not very smart.

Posted by: Mr. Neutron ( )
Date: March 20, 2013 01:40PM

The Osmonds are extraordinarily good singers. I can't say much for their songwriting ability, acting, dancing, or anything else, but all of them, right down to Jimmy, are amazing at harmonization and intonation. Like the Motab, unfortunately, much of their talent is wasted on less-than-great music.

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: March 20, 2013 03:19PM

go to any black church in america on any sunday and you'll find better harmonies and better voices than the moderately skilled osmonds. their harmonies were "impressive" when they were all under the age of 10.

aside from the large number of singers in the group, the motabs aren't very special either. imho

Posted by: notsurewhattothink ( )
Date: March 20, 2013 08:30PM

Still beats the hell out of church choir I attended.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: March 11, 2013 06:39PM

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2013 02:14AM by steve benson.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: March 11, 2013 09:38PM

As long as there's money in it they will believe.
I feel sorry for Marie on that level. I think Mormonism has made her life emotionally miserable, and she doesn't know it. She can't seem to pinpoint the source of her misery.

Posted by: Observer ( )
Date: March 12, 2013 01:55AM

I wonder if Marie truly believes it all. Most of her kids have fallen away, and she is pro-gay - having two lesbian daughters. She will probably always be LDS because of her family ties, but I see her as being more liberal now.

Posted by: lucky ( )
Date: March 12, 2013 03:49AM

they believe in promoting themselves first, above any thing else.
they cant believe they had made it this far/ this long with their pathetic lame ass rip off of sonny and cher and they are going to keep beating their dead horse supposed celebrity as long as they can.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewfx4HzIRfU

Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: March 20, 2013 01:34PM

I agree completely with the sentiment.

I have found it a bit interesting to realize through the years that a significant portion of their fan base is Mormon and they play to this segment. In other words, they do indeed make money off of their TBM demographic...all the way down to the less popular members of their family-they are guaranteed a following amoung the faithful TBM.

Posted by: No Mo ( )
Date: March 12, 2013 04:13AM

Well, they both seem to be stupid, so I would guess that they won't stray from what they were born into.

Posted by: anon for this ( )
Date: March 20, 2013 01:57PM

I've had the opportunity to spend a little time with Donny on several occasions when he wasn't "ON STAGE". He's a different person...much more laidback and philosophical about the rigidity of Mo-ism. For those who think him cheesy, you might even like him for being pretty NORMAL.

On the other hand, when he's on camera, he can be uber-dorky. At Firesides, he'll get emotional. I think Donny and the rest of his family have to put on that smiling, happy-pappy face for their public admirers (and detractors), but deep down, he just wants to live his life and do things on his terms. It's no wonder he and Marie have had depression and social anxiety issues. IRL, he's a good egg. He's just in a crappy situation.

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: March 20, 2013 02:00PM

I believe the above about most celebrities. I remember when he did his rock album back in the 80's and all of us TBM's were so shocked lol I'm sure he was just trying to be himself though

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: March 20, 2013 01:59PM

The Osmonds are probably one of the most successful musical families ever. Nobody got there by being stupid! Very smart, astute managers! Their generational dynasty is quite amazing in the music field.

Are all members total believers? Probably not, but they most likely stick to it's cultural aspects and can talk the talk. They are a huge family and most seem to be very successful financially also.

I don't know why people make such a fuss and are so judgmental about when people wear garments and when they don't.

Clearly, there are times when garments do not fit the situation. It's just common sense.

It appears that Donnie and Marie are believers and often say so.

Posted by: NeverMo in CA ( )
Date: March 20, 2013 08:19PM

SusieQ#1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> I don't know why people make such a fuss and are
> so judgmental about when people wear garments and
> when they don't.
>
> Clearly, there are times when garments do not fit
> the situation. It's just common sense.
>
Good points, but perhaps it bothers some posters because they have been judged for when *they* have not worn garments or have dressed "immodestly" by Mormon standards, whereas the Osmonds get a free pass from most of their TBM fans because they are rich and famous. It reminds me of posters here who, during the Presidential election, expressed what I thought was some (justifiable) resentment that Ann Romney was allowed to marry outside an LDS temple so that her non-Mormon parents could attend her wedding, whereas so many others here have suffered from having loved ones excluded from their weddings.

I think it's the double standards that bother people of any faith (or none). It's like the Mr. Scientologist John Travolta lecturing people about global warming while owning multiple jet airplanes. (No, I am not a global warming denier; I just don't like the "Do as I say, not as I do" attitude that many celebrities have, regardless of the issue.)

Posted by: brownie ( )
Date: March 20, 2013 02:07PM

Posted by: purelove ( )
Date: March 20, 2013 02:55PM

I found Marie very empathetic to others no matter their religious affiliation or sexual orientation in interviews both before and following her son's tragic death. This behavior is something we should celebrate.

Posted by: fiona64 ( )
Date: March 20, 2013 03:09PM

I read Marie's book about dealing with post-partum depression and, though she never came out and said so, I had an impression "between the lines" that TSCC's expectations for what Real Womanhood(TM) was supposed to be like were a major contributing factor.

Posted by: agrazingmace ( )
Date: March 20, 2013 04:49PM

Marie sent 2 of her children, Jessica and Rachel to diamond ranch academy to overcome their same-sex attractions/behaviour.
Donny gets very defensive when asked about mormonism I think he is genuinely brainwashed.
As for the others, they all appear to be totally into it, but as they are adept at putting on a public image I doubt we'd ever get the truth even if they were asked directly.

Really wish just one would see the light, I'd like to watch the pack of cards fall then

Posted by: danboyle ( )
Date: March 20, 2013 06:44PM

If you are rich, famous and busy working all over the world, it is easy to be "active" in the church. You will not have a HT or VT route, you will not have a calling that requires weekly preparation. You won't attend weekly 3 hour blocks of meetings. You will not really have a calling.

You can come and go as you please, and stop by anytime you need some adoration and fan support from the mo's.

Since they don't have the on going drudgery of mormon life, it is not too bad being a member for the Osmonds.

Posted by: Damn the Laptop Man ( )
Date: March 20, 2013 08:10PM

I am somewhat fascinated by the whole Osmond Family and what makes them tick. While I might not care much for their current individual and collective shtick, I hold no grudge or ill will against them. If anything, I often pity them and the rough spot they are in. No matter what decision they make, no matter which direction they turn, they are damned. Damned by exmo's for being too churchy, or for being propaganda tools. Damned by tbm's for being too liberal or careless or flippant.

I'm sure money and fame have their perks, but having to be a religion's on-going poster child has to be a real bitch. I could definitely never take that kind of pressure.

I believe the previous poster's assesment that they are probably pretty cool in person. I have no doubt there is much about them that would surpise us all.

The one thing they have done for which I am very grateful is that they have given Mormon's another hero type to fixate on besides athletes. Now, don't get me wrong - athletes are wonderful, but they are not the end all/beat all that Utah Mormon's make them out to be.

Posted by: csuprovostudent ( )
Date: March 20, 2013 10:47PM

I grew up with them and we were in Pacoima Ward, San Fernando Valley Stake from around 1960-1969.
Early on, they were nobodies. Then they were 'discovered' at Disneyland and began appearing on The Andy Williams Show. As their fame grew, the more distant and detached they became. Verl and Tom, the oldest brothers were not so much affected by their family's celebrity.
And, Johnny Whittaker was a member of the same ward.
Fun times when it came time for roadshows...

Posted by: Exmosis ( )
Date: March 20, 2013 10:56PM

I don't consider them extremely talented but do believe they've worked hard to earn the success they have. That said, I never am in the mood "to pop in an Osmond CD" EVER

So, it isn't as though there aren't other more talented folks out there. They just happen to be so apple pie that their fame is mostly limited to Mormons and the like.

I haven't noticed any of them to be particularly bright intellectually. It seems they are better at singing than talking/thinking.

Posted by: spwdone ( )
Date: March 20, 2013 11:05PM

My uncle dated Marie in college a few times. He is still TBM but pretty cool and extremely open-minded for a TBM, he's one of my favorite people. I also worked with her ex (and apparently now current) husband while working at the BYU film studio. He was a nice guy and I had no idea he was semi famous for months until someone told me (I did not follow the Osmonds). I still didn't care, but it was interesting info and I watched him more closely after knowing. Sad, I know.

When my uncle dated Marie she was on the TV show (although he didn't know it at the time, a friend set them up and he had just come back from his mission and was totally out of popular culture).
He didn't find out she was famous until after they stopped dating, which was his choice. He said once he knew more about her made sense that he didn't get before.

He said he didn't know what she was like now, probably 7 or 8 years ago when we had this conversation, but when they went out she was a real diva and expected everyone to kiss her ass, basically. He was not impressed and even though he thought she was really cute, decided she wasn't worth the effort and broke it off.

So, totally 2nd hand semi-celebrity gossip! Doesn't really matter and she could be totally different now, who knows?

Btw, the woman my uncle finally married is pretty awesome - she was a pro-athlete and is totally non-submissive. Still TBM, but neither she nor their daughters have conformed to the "expectected" TBM standards. The whole family are both great and I often wonder how on earth my uncle can be related to my TBM parent!

Oh my gosh - too funny, my mom's cousin dated Johnny Whittaker, too! My 7th degrees of fame. : ) Ha!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.