Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: March 12, 2013 02:17PM

Those who are new might not realize that mormons sometimes use demands for money as a fellowshipping ploy.

I often read about mormon teen boys forced to collect fast offerings from never attending jackmos, exmos, and even nevermos.

That's why I didn't find it surprising to find a tithing bill in my mailbox from a ward bishoprick where I'd never attended after not setting foot in any mormon church for about six years. I was furious when I opened the envelope and the letter told me how much money to send them if I wanted blessings and a chance to help the ward have 100% participation in tithing for the year. If I didn't pay up, the whole ward would lose blessings but I would lose the most.

How did they come up with the minimal payment they were asking? The letter said they prayed about me (sight unseen) and the Lord impressed on them the amount I should pay for now until I would return to activity and pay the full amount owed.

This is when I realized that mormons had mental issues. I was ashamed to have ever been counted among them and was afraid my nevermo husband would hold this crazy cult involvement against me.

He just blew up when I dug the letter out of the garbage bag under the sink to show him why I was upset.

His reaction? "These idiots know you don't want to be in their stupid cult. You've told them that. Yet they send you a bill?? They are crazy! Can't understand why anyone would join or stay in a church like that? Fuck them!"

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Becca ( )
Date: March 12, 2013 02:20PM

fuck them indeed! ...

holy cow!! They just send bills out now?? they prayed about the amount???!!!

AAAAAAAAKKKK!!!

They get crazier by the year..

Date: March 12, 2013 02:39PM

Just a crazy idea the locals in the ward contrived and tried to use me.

I've posted about it before but felt like doing a repeat.

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: March 12, 2013 02:46PM

If you just received this, I think it's time to release the husband and have him go rant and rave at the "bishop" and use the "whore/Mormon" analogy again.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: March 12, 2013 02:48PM

I HOPE you saved the letter. We have to document these people's
insanity. I'm sure some Church spokesman would say such things
just don't happen.

Posted by: schmendrick ( )
Date: March 12, 2013 02:49PM

Tell him the church is still past due for blessings from when you were still a subscribing member.

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: March 12, 2013 03:25PM

Wish you would have saved and scanned and shared. You could have protected your privacy, this stuff needs documentation.

Posted by: Demon of Kolob ( )
Date: March 12, 2013 03:31PM

This should go to the press i think they will publish it, if this did not happen in the moridor.

Posted by: Jilly ( )
Date: March 12, 2013 04:30PM

One Sunday about 20 years ago, I got a phone call from a ward clerk demanding that I appear for a tithing settlement meeting with the bishop two hours hence. I had never set foot in the local ward house, but he had my name and address from a well-meaning family member. Groan.

I was literally on my way out the door to take a test to become a Notary (funny how I recall what I was wearing). Anyhoo, I paused and then chuckled, telling said ward clerk that I hadn't been active in years, didn't even know his bishop and had an appointment to keep. The nerve.....like I'm sitting around waiting for a MO to summon me to church and hound the sh!t outta me for money. Ward Clerk Guy was not amused, as you just don't tell a priesthood holder the word NO---ever.

Another time, the son of a neighbor (who knew I was LONG-inactive) showed up for a fast offering. He looked uncomfortable and I felt sorry for him---so I gave him a donation. I shouldn't have. I was a tad easier to manipulate back then, even if I DID think that using a 12 year old to solicit funds for Cult, Inc. was very wrong.

Posted by: liminal state ( )
Date: March 12, 2013 05:05PM

"I opened the envelope and the letter told me how much money to send them if I wanted blessings and a chance to help the ward have 100% participation in tithing for the year. If I didn't pay up, the whole ward would lose blessings but I would lose the most.

"The letter said they prayed about me (sight unseen) and the Lord impressed on them the amount I should pay for now until I would return to activity and pay the full amount owed."

Smells like emotional extortion.

Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: March 12, 2013 05:08PM

I suggest you send back monopoly money of the exact amount they suggest. Tell them your donation is as true as their church.

Or better yet, print out some Kirtland Bank notes:

http://www.mormonmoney.com/images/ARF0011.jpg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2013 05:32PM by Jesus Smith.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: March 12, 2013 08:36PM

Jesus, that made me laugh out loud.

Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: March 12, 2013 10:32PM

Jeezus,

You just made me blow Coors out my nose...

Gawd Damn It

Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 05:11PM

breedumyung Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Jeezus,
>
> You just made me blow Coors out my nose...

Hm. Usually coors just blows, but blows out the nose is just salt ontop of insult. (sorry, I'm a microbrew snob)

Posted by: Anubis ( )
Date: March 12, 2013 05:46PM

I would send them back a bill for your wasted time dealing with the cult. Tell them that when they pay it back you will consider your tithing settled.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: March 12, 2013 08:39PM

Anubis Wrote:
> I would send them back a bill for your wasted time
> dealing with the cult. Tell them that when they
> pay it back you will consider your tithing
> settled.

That's what I was thinking. Send a counter bill, demanding back all of your tithing money.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 12, 2013 07:02PM

since we resigned is that the fast offering boys don't stop by anymore.

I remember you telling this story before. Some of the others obviously haven't--and don't know the things your husband did to defend your right to be LEFT ALONE.

Posted by: crom ( )
Date: March 12, 2013 08:08PM

This sounds familiar. My parents told stories about getting this kind of notice when the church was going to build a new ward house in their brand new subdivision. (About 1962) They were told how much they should give. It was very substantial.

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: March 12, 2013 08:26PM

Anyone remember ward budget? When we moved to California we were so poor, we cashed in the coins in the jar to buy food. That first Sunday, the bishop called us in the office to tell us that our ward budget assessment was 120 dollars. It might as well have been 120k. He wondered if we'd just like to write him a check for the full amount.

My dad sold his beloved small sail boat to build a ward building. It was the only fun thing he had. It was never replaced. So much for blessings.

Effing cult.

Date: March 13, 2013 07:21AM

The same kind of letter arrived a year later.

2. This was about *tithing,* not a building fund or ward budget of some kind.

3. I should have done as suggested and sent monopoly money or a bill of my own.

This happened long ago before I knew these locals were fanatical about stalking exmos. What I did do is use their second letter to write my own pen and ink note. I told them I did not want to be mormon, that I'd never pay them a dime, and that they should leave me alone.

Did they leave me alone? Somewhat, but they always eventually returned until I gave my husband control. He took charge and over the years he went to the ward house and the bish's home, got police involvement, and wrote rude letters to all of the mormons involved.

Let me tell you, it's embarrassing to have my nevermo husband see what a seedy oranization I had to live with as a child and youth. I consider any mormon who harasses as garbage worse than last month's lefovers dumped into the disposer.

Hosing the mishies has stopped the harrassmnet for many years thankfully. That has helped my emotional and physical health considerably because mormon strangers on my porch trigger hives, breathing problems, palpitations, and an inability for days to speak loudly enough to be heard.

Posted by: schmendrick ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 02:54PM

Cheryl Wrote:
> Hosing the mishies has stopped the harrassmnet for

Wait, wait. Did you actually hose missionaries? With a garden hose?

This would be fun to see.

Date: March 13, 2013 03:05PM

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 02:57PM

These letters should be preserved in Google documents or Scribd.

The world should have access to this madness.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.