Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: rogertheshrubber ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 12:08PM

I thought I had most things figure out as a TBM, but one thing I could never answer is this:

[according to LDS doctrine]

1. The earth is supposed to be renewed, right, and become a paradise? Isn't it going to become the "Celestial Kingdom"?

vs.

2. Each god will receive HIS own planet, right (sorry, faithful lady TBMs!)? If so, wouldn't THAT be the CK for each god and his many wives? If each god goes somewhere else, doesn't that make this earth obsolete as a CK?

I must have something totally backwards here. I have seen some great former LDS scholoars on the board, and was wondering if there is any answer to this question, or whether it is just another inconsistency.

Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 12:10PM

1. Yes the earth is to turn into "glass" and be a giant Celestial Kingdom / Urim & Thummim..

2. Yes this is true - the idea would be we would be just like HF and create worlds without number. (We wouldn't live on them though - that's just for our underlings - our job is to stay hidden so our underlings can have wars about which of their definitions of us is right.)

I'd see the earth CK more as a central meeting ground. CK is more a state of exhalation - the Mormon folklore I heard was that you could teleport anywhere. I always thoght of earth CK as more of a hub - kind of like kolob.

These are actually the kinds of things that keep nerdy, thinking type Mormons in. There are all kinds of interesting weird details and rabbit holes you can delve - kind of like science fiction.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/13/2013 12:14PM by The Oncoming Storm - bc.

Date: March 13, 2013 01:03PM

Doesn't that mean that the star where Elohim lives is not exclusively his, but shared with other folks who lived and died on that planet before it became a CK?

A MP told me that Elohim was a "Savior," so I guess Elohim could be the king of his world, and Jesus would be the king of ours.

Sounds like a fun place to spend eternity: A planet we destroyed that came back to life that we have to share with everybody else who rose to the rank of god.

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 10:09AM

I always thought of Mormonism as 19th century science fiction. Just like Scientology is bad 20th century SF.

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 01:43PM

More fiction, less science. Definitely made up though!

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 12:21PM

I thought "getting your own planet" referred to the "earth" you got to send your spirit children, where they would invent cars, so you could find their keys.

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: March 13, 2013 12:28PM

Or more often not find their car keys, and make them wonder why they are unworthy - or better yet contemplate why it is your will that they not find them because you have a higher plan.

Bwhahahaha.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 11:31AM

Date: March 14, 2013 10:06AM

But I guess it really wouldn't would it?

Posted by: saviorself ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 01:05PM

When a 19th Century con man with only a grade school education starts making up shit about three levels of heaven, why would anybody expect it to make sense? That is just one more example of absurd religious magic that does not make any sense.

Posted by: Widget ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 02:00PM

v6. "The angels do not reside on a planet like this earth;"

v7. "But they reside in the presence of God, on a globe like a sea of glass and fire, where all things for their glory are manifest, past, present, and future, and are continually before the Lord."

v8. "The place where God resides is a great Urim and Thummim."

v9. "This earth, in its sanctified and immortal state, will be made like unto crystal and will be a Urim and Thummim to the inhabitants who dwell thereon, whereby all things pertaining to an inferior kingdom, or all kingdoms of a lower order, will be manifest to those who dwell on it; and this earth will be Christ’s."

Ref. https://www.lds.org/scriptures/dc-testament/dc/130.6-9?lang=eng

Date: March 14, 2013 07:36PM

Does this happen at the beginning of the millennium? I forget what the whole millennium thing is about.

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 02:03PM

The celestial kingdom is located in the minds of Mormons. It's a concept.... an untrue one.

Posted by: crom ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 07:44PM

It's the upper right circle marked "CK" on the diagram your SS teacher draws on the chalk board during the lesson.

Posted by: ambivalent exmo ( )
Date: March 15, 2013 12:47AM

Haa! LOL

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 07:01PM

Date: March 14, 2013 07:28PM

Which is a really big problem for small minded people.

Date: March 14, 2013 08:42PM

Ha, ha, blueorchid, so well put. A tiny mind has a tiny heaven. Like the mind of a racist has Mayberry RFD, and that's it. Nothing outside of the town. A Mormon has a narrow "kingdom" for a paradise, no coffee, no cocktails, only spousal rape for pleasure.

Date: March 14, 2013 10:02PM

Ha Ha back at you. Don't forget that at least the Mormons have a shopping mall in their heaven now.

Posted by: rgg ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 07:39PM

In one's imagination.

Posted by: mia ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 07:40PM

Why would anyone aspire to live out eternity on a glass ball? It sounds incredibly boring.

I've never heard anyone say that they can't wait to go to heaven and live on a glass ball.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 07:45PM

Of course all this outrageous theological speculation is based on alleged 'revelation'- not always the most accurate form of scientific discovery.

The LDS corporation conveniently uses an etch-a-sketch on its history. Fortunately Google is kicking its ass.

Posted by: brotherofdonbagley ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 07:53PM

The Earth will be turned into glass and become a giant snow globe. The more faithful plastic toy people will be positioned in the middle, where the vigorous shaking{one thousand years!} will not be as disturbing.
This is what we are led to believe...

Posted by: builttospill ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 08:03PM

call me lazy - but building worlds and worrying about more spiritual children sounds like a lot of work and heavy lifting...I would rather rest in peace actually in peace...I am not good with "damn it's Tuesday, time to create the oceans and seperate them from the land...can I just do it after lunch and the 1:30 Sportscenter?"

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 08:32PM

While I make all my little people and knit them sweaters will my hubby be finding their car keys and purses? Will we get our own Satan to make the disasters?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2013 08:33PM by suckafoo.

Date: March 14, 2013 08:44PM

Yes, suckafoo. Just call your oldest son "Satan." It worked for my parents, and they think they're gods in training.

Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 10:11PM

While all of the TBMs will be practicing polygamy in the CK, I will be next door at the TK Lounge, having all the fun.

No Planet to Rule

No Stan

No Garmies

Free At Last..........

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 10:40PM

I'm not sure about the location of the Celestial Kingdom, but I do know there's some darn tasty Celestial Seasonings tea in my cupboard...

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 11:17PM

I was always under the impression it was in the Delta Quadrant.

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: March 14, 2013 11:33PM

Posted by: packerroo ( )
Date: March 15, 2013 01:08AM

I have been to the big CK it is the Salmon River Mountains of central Idaho I have lived their most of my life. I am sure it is as close as I Will get to Heaven

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: March 15, 2013 01:12AM

Posted by: quebec ( )
Date: March 15, 2013 11:59AM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.