Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 08:14PM

I was sort of a geography nerd, so I knew where mine was, and wasn't excited about it.

How many of you had to look up your mission?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Infinite Dreams ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 08:19PM

My cousin was sent to Albania on his mission. I was one of the few in the family who'd even heard of the country, let alone knew even knew where it was (which I did since I'd studied geography).

Posted by: Naomi ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 09:33PM

I'd actually grown up overseas, but when I got my mission call to Estonia, I had no idea where it was.

Posted by: Infinite Dreams ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 10:20PM

I was talking to my TBM mom one day a few years about about the Estonian composer Arvo Pärt, & how he had composed many choral pieces that are performed in Orthodox churches, including the Orthodox churches in Estonia. Then she asked me if they, the Estonian churches, were Christian. All I could do was literally facepalm right in the car.

Posted by: Paint ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 10:08PM

I confess I didn't know where Des Moines Iowa was....sad really.

Posted by: Marble ( )
Date: March 16, 2013 10:16PM

I was asked to move to some town in a state I had never heard of. I said h@ll no.

No clue if I have ever been there. Don't care.

Posted by: Jack ( )
Date: March 17, 2013 02:23PM

Marble Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was asked to move to some town in a state I had
> never heard of. I said h@ll no.
>
> No clue if I have ever been there. Don't care.

Western part of the state around Kalispell is BEAUTIFUL....eastern side of Montana; not so much.

Posted by: spwdone ( )
Date: March 17, 2013 02:27AM

I knew where Montana was, but couldn't believe I was actually expected to go there. It was not a place this city girl had actually ever even thought about.

Posted by: John_Lyle ( )
Date: March 17, 2013 06:41PM

Did you go?

It really isn't that bad. Got flush toilets last year and supposed to get something called 'television' in a couple of years...

LOL

Kalispell used to be nice, too many people there.

Posted by: spwdone ( )
Date: March 17, 2013 09:35PM

I did go to Montana, and met some fantastic people. Loved Kalispell and Glacier is one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen in my life.

The getting to see an area I never would have otherwise part of my mission was fabulous, the rest of it, not so much.

Posted by: rogermartim ( )
Date: March 17, 2013 12:09PM

I had a friend who literally thought that Illinois was a state in Chicago somewhere.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: March 17, 2013 01:17PM

Geography was like a minor pimple on our education system when I was growing up. I don't know if that was just Utah, or everywhere.

I had a vague idea which continent my mission was on and I turned out to be right. I was not quite ready for jeopardy though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2013 01:17PM by blueorchid.

Posted by: joesmithsleftteste ( )
Date: March 17, 2013 02:19PM

I got called to exactly where I wanted to go. I thought it meant that I was being rewarded for working so hard to save up to go. That belief stuck with me for way too long.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: March 17, 2013 03:21PM

Imagine getting the call and you do know, all too well, where it is....

You get the envelope. You're from Utah. You open the envelope to see what exciting place your calling is in.....and.....drum roll...

It's Rupert, Idaho. Or some other place you consider the armpit of Utah.

Posted by: The other Sofia ( )
Date: March 18, 2013 08:15AM

I've not been to Estonia, but have been to Latvia a couple times. Once in the Winter. My that was cold. Beautiful but cold. You must have frozen in the Winters there, Naomi. Hope you had some very warm clothing.

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: March 18, 2013 09:08AM

I am from Ohio (and didn't go on a mission), but I think it's funny how many people confuse Ohio with Iowa and sometimes also Idaho. I can see confusing Ohio and Iowa. They look the same and it's basically the same state. In fact everything between Ohio and Iowa looks pretty much the same to me. So I call that stretch of the midwest "Ohiowa." :>D

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.