Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: openeyes ( )
Date: January 16, 2011 05:42PM

Why not let people decide for themselves how they define their family unit? What does it really matter that two or more persons of the same gender marry? Or, that a family consists of multiple people? As long as I don’t have to support them (or their kids) financially then I’m all for it. I support freedom and responsibly as it relates to liberty and valuing the differences in society.

If Mormons define “The Proclamation on the Family” as the standardization of family units in their culture or society then I’m all in favor of it as long as it doesn’t encroach upon my liberty and the liberty of other people who choose differently.

Just my opinion for what its worth.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: January 16, 2011 06:16PM

The only goal of the PF is to attack gay marriage. Hinckley wanted to suck up to the religious reich and make Mormons seem more acceptably Protestant, so he launched the anti-gay crusade that cost Mormons millions and finally blew up in their faces over Prop 8.

When Mormons use the word "family" in political contexts, they just mean "not gay".

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: January 16, 2011 06:40PM

sucking young people into the machine and keeping them there. More bigger families means more revenue.

BTW I just read the proclamation for the first time. It sounds nutty, epecially the paragraph near the end about calamities foretold by ancient and modern prophets.

http://lds.org/library/display/0,4945,161-1-11-1,FF.html

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2011 06:43PM by munchybotaz.

Posted by: Naomi ( )
Date: January 16, 2011 06:51PM

It's obviously anti-gay but it's also anti-feminist. It's very clear on the roles of men and women in the family, except with a little disclaimer about individual circumstances.
Don't want people making their own decisions about their families.

Posted by: edmarc ( )
Date: January 16, 2011 07:35PM

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but two dudes living together are not parents.

Posted by: mateo ( )
Date: January 16, 2011 07:43PM

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: January 16, 2011 07:51PM

A man and a woman who beat, ridicule, and attack their children's own ideas and thoughts are not parents.

Who the hell are YOU to decide what makes a decent parent?

Date: January 16, 2011 08:09PM

Not so edmarc, there are many dudes who live together that are great parents. I view parenting as a verb, not only a noun. Being straight doesn't guarantee the person will be a good parent.

Yes, I agree that everyone is entitled to their opinion

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2011 08:10PM by openeyes.

Posted by: loveskids ( )
Date: January 17, 2011 02:51AM

I am good friends with 2 lesbian women.(partners) They have 2 daughters (both from the one mom)ans they are amazing parents. Much better than your average mom. So they don't have a dad? They have lots of male relatives (grandpa-uncle etc.) that fill the male role they may need as they are growing up. They are so committed to these 2 girls.

Posted by: roflmao ( )
Date: January 17, 2011 03:40AM

My new best friend!

Two dudes living together

Do you even know any gay people?

By the time they want to adopt a child, the two dudes are committed and solid

Think appellate attorney and hedge fund manager, their watches cost more than your car, maybe even your house

Even though my mother was Julie Andrews and my father was Sean Connery. So I had perfection. But not every child is as lucky as me

Don't make the perfect he enemy of the good

Two good dudes could father a kid anytime

BTW I am on the board of a childrens charity. Do you want to know what hetersexual parents do to helpless kids?

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: January 16, 2011 07:41PM

It's anti-human all around.

"All human beings—male and female—are created in the image of God. Each is a beloved spirit son or daughter of heavenly parents, and, as such, each has a divine nature and destiny. Gender is an essential characteristic of individual premortal, mortal, and eternal identity and purpose."

What about people who are born with extra X or Y chromosomes?

Posted by: amos ( )
Date: January 16, 2011 09:28PM

I'm for democracy, for better or worse.
If the people vote for or against "alternative" marriages, tough shit to any party.
The fundamental fault in the Proclamation on the Family isn't that it takes the "wrong" side, but that it claims to be the Will of God.
If the church came out with a "proclamation" favoring gay marriage, it would be just as bogus as the Will of God.
It doesn't matter WHAT they say in God's name, it's just their own invention and not the Will of God regardless.

Posted by: amos ( )
Date: January 16, 2011 09:45PM

The majority is often wrong, Granted.
But it's no more the Will of God that the sheep not be eaten than the sheep be eaten.
The wolves and the sheep alike argue God is on their side.
My point is, no one can claim it.
If TSCC changed their policy and tolerated gay marriage, it would STILL be bogus as to having any authority from God.

Date: January 17, 2011 12:11AM

I enjoyed reading that article and its comments. Thanks for posting it.

Date: January 17, 2011 12:12AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2011 12:14AM by openeyes.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: January 17, 2011 12:14AM

What should we do about this contradiction?

All human beings--male and female--are created in the image of God. Each is a beloved spirit son or daughter of heavenly parents, and, as such, each has a divine nature and destiny.

If the church continues to claim there is a Heavenly Mother, why are people excommunicated or otherwise disciplined in the church for believing, teaching about, or otherwise using the doctrine?

Posted by: Tristan-Powerslave ( )
Date: January 17, 2011 01:27AM

JoD3:360 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What should we do about this contradiction?
>
> All human beings--male and female--are created in
> the image of God. Each is a beloved spirit son or
> daughter of heavenly parents, and, as such, each
> has a divine nature and destiny.
>
> If the church continues to claim there is a
> Heavenly Mother, why are people excommunicated or
> otherwise disciplined in the church for believing,
> teaching about, or otherwise using the doctrine?

Because the idea of a 'Heavenly Mother' is truly empowering to women, & TSCC doesn't want that. They want everyone to be content with their 'separate, but equal' bullshit. So they silence anyone they consider 'uppity', & excommunicate them.

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: January 17, 2011 01:36AM

If men AND women are made in the image of God, and gender is so important, then why are women made in the image of God and not Goddess -- gender is important, right?

Maybe Goddess(es) are all horribly disfigured or spiritually ugly or something...

Posted by: Tristan-Powerslave ( )
Date: January 17, 2011 01:22AM

I guess she doesn't want people to think poorly of her, you know since she is divorced. TSCC is holding her back so much it's sickening.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.