Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: altava ( )
Date: March 22, 2013 11:40AM

So my parents are about to move soon and I need to go through my stuff to see what I wanna keep/throw away/donate ect. So since it's filled with stuff before I moved away, it has all of the dumb crafts and handouts I received in Young Women's and early Relief Society. Most of it I'm tossing. I plan on keeping a few small things if they pop up, but I am certainly not keeping the terribly painted light house with the Young women's values painted on with stamps.

But I found an hilarious handout I got from YW. It has a loosely glued dollar on a piece of paper with a clear sheet above it that says:

"I Altava will stay worthy to attend my own Temple Marriage.
This dollar is towards my Temple Wedding gown."

On the back it has a place to sign saying "I will stay worthy to attend my own Temple Marriage." I forgot to sign. Needless to say, I got a good laugh out of it. I'll probably recycle it or toss it. At least I got a dollar out of it though. I'll probably buy a soda at work with it.

Anybody else have stories of terrible crafts and handouts they had lying around?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: WakingUpVegas ( )
Date: March 22, 2013 12:18PM

I have a whole box full of that stuff, but your post reminded me of this gem:
A framed photograph of me at about 13, wearing a temple dress outside the temple. The frame is about as tacky as it gets, white with fake pearls and roses glued to it.
Our YW leaders borrowed temple dresses from ladies in the ward, and took pictures of us in them. I think the activity would have been slightly better if they were wedding dresses. The group shot is even more priceless. We look like a group of child brides off to marry Warren Jeffs.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: March 22, 2013 12:23PM

You should take that dollar and get an iced tea or coffee instead - make it really count.

My daughter did that dressy dress outside the temple thing. It was for an Activity Days activity though and she was probably about 8 years old. All they told the parents is that they were going to do makeovers on the little girls, do their hair, paint their nails and we should have the girls wear a nice Sunday dress. Of course, if they were playing dress up and painting fingernails, I didn't want DD wearing a good dress so I put her in the previous years Easter dress, which was too small for her. I didn't think it mattered because they were just playing. Then they took them out to the temple and took pictures of them - without even telling us they were going to pack up our daughters and drive them that far. I was a little annoyed, but this was years before we left so I wasn't as mad as it makes me now.

Date: March 22, 2013 11:26PM

Why didn't I think about that!?! I already spent it on my diet Pepsi. But I do have a dime left...If I use it to buy a cup of coffee tomorrow will it still count?

WOW. That is super creepy. I don't remember doing anything like that myself (granted we didn't live close to a temple so that might be part of it). I don't understand how in any world that would be okay. :/

Posted by: ava ( )
Date: March 22, 2013 01:15PM

A turkey carcass spray painted silver as a table decoration. I still think that was great...never saw one...

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: March 22, 2013 01:18PM

Yes, after you die.

Ana

Date: March 22, 2013 11:22PM

Omg I'm glad you mentioned that. I thought the wording was bizarre.

Posted by: brownie ( )
Date: March 22, 2013 01:32PM

Another fave of mine was the time we, *ahem*, someone...painted dried cubes of potato like chunks of turquoise, then STRUNG THEM ON SILVER CORDS WITH SILVER BEADS.
Sorry, was I yelling?...
Sterling silver beads...
*koo-koo!*

Date: March 22, 2013 11:28PM

....Ew? Painted potato necklaces? Um...wouldn't it start to rot?

Posted by: Surrender Dorothy ( )
Date: March 22, 2013 01:45PM

I wish I had taken photos of some of that junk before I tossed it because sometimes words are just not enough to convey the horror. :D

Posted by: suzanne ( )
Date: March 22, 2013 11:31PM

We made dolls once in yw. We were supposed to make a doll of a woman we admired. I made Joan of arc. The other girls made Emma smith, their moms and there was one unnamed lamanite woman whose son was a stripling warrior.

They didn't like the cross I put on Joan's armor and I remember that this was when I started to think that the church didn't have many female role models, cause I couldn't think of a good one.

Posted by: AlmostFell ( )
Date: March 22, 2013 11:34PM

I'm trying to figure out how a turkey carcass can be made to look even remotely like a table decoration.

Posted by: Quoth the Raven Nevermo ( )
Date: March 23, 2013 12:51AM

Here is a a turkey bone sled, made as a joke...but I guess some people make them for real

http://onceuponasewingmachine.com/the-turkey-bone-sleigh/

Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: March 23, 2013 02:23AM

Both my aunts have the same trash can as my mom's:

Looks like a round ice cream container was raped by a bunch of colorful straws...

Any of you ladies make one of these marvels?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2013 02:24AM by breedumyung.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: March 23, 2013 11:20AM

I don't know how it is tody, but back in the 1960s, relief Society women were making large peacocks from different colored beans and lentils glued onto a piece of muslin that was then framed. My foster mother did one and framed it proudly in the living room, and hung it quite near the bullfighter pained on velvet.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: March 23, 2013 11:23AM

How can we ever forget the Sacred Plastic Grapes?

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: March 23, 2013 12:16PM

I just helped my dad move out of a house he had lived in for many years. He had hoarded a bunch of crap. I found Mormon crafts from the 1970's for gods sake. There was a lot of felt involved.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 23, 2013 12:39PM

Doesn't that pretty much sum up mormon crafts ?

Thanks for the laugh.

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: March 23, 2013 12:47PM

yes. And a chalkboard that read "I never said it would be easy, but it will be worth it" or some crap like that.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: March 23, 2013 03:12PM

Mormons generally show a picture of Jebus saying the "I never said it would be easy" quote, as if it came from the Bible or Book of Mormon. Talk about putting words in God's mouth. In fact, it is the opposite thing of what Jebus said in the bible about his yoke being easy and burden light, or whatever.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.