Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: unwill ( )
Date: March 23, 2013 06:53PM

Who do you think will get to run the Church-- Eyring or Uchtdorf and why?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Gordon B. Hinckley ( )
Date: March 23, 2013 07:15PM

Neither
Boyd K. Packer
President of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles

Posted by: unwill ( )
Date: March 23, 2013 08:03PM

I've had some contact with Eyring and he's quite a persuasive Harvard educated, Camilla Kimball is his aunt, and quite autocratic. I don't know much about Uchtdorf. If Boyd K. is in the picture is there some Church rule that appoints him?

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: March 23, 2013 08:06PM

Where is the evidence that Monson has Alzheimer's? Did I miss something?

From what I have observed, Eyring and Uchtdorf are very capable of taking care of business if needed.

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: March 23, 2013 08:17PM

they are capable, but Packer is the next in line.

Posted by: mysid ( )
Date: March 24, 2013 03:24PM

Packer is next in line WHEN Monson dies, but will he be the one pulling the strings if Monson becomes a puppet prophet?

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: March 25, 2013 12:05PM

I don't think Packard pulls his own strings, and Monson barely handles his own.

Look, all the guys near the top are also the most likely to be the ones who can't even control their own bowel movements, little lone a church. It makes sense that the younger apostles are the real power behind the throne, with the old guys rolled out on their wheel chairs, whenever they need to make the members feel all warm and fuzzy.

Posted by: NeverBeenaMormon ( )
Date: March 23, 2013 08:16PM

If Monson dies, the next 'prophet' will be the man who has served as an 'apostle' the longest, who is also the President of the Q12. That's Packer. If Monson stays alive but loses it there is every likelihood that they will keep him going and the 1st and 2nd Counsellors in the 1st Pres will pull the strings. That is sadly what happened when Ezra Taft Benson was in very poor health, as his grandson Steve Benson has mentioned frequently on RfM. If it is between Eyring and Uchtdorf I would suspect Eyring merely because he is 1st Counsellor plus he has more experience. They may even co-opt more Counsellors, which they again did when ETB was declining (helping the rise of Gordon B Hinckley)

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: March 24, 2013 09:51PM

Yes, it's like the intrigue at the Vatican with the possibility of violence always nearby.

ANa

Posted by: archytas ( )
Date: March 23, 2013 10:33PM

He doesn't.

Beer on me if I'm wrong.

Date: March 24, 2013 09:56PM

is that he has the rage variety and cannot be depended upon to be appropriate, so his family limited his access.

My mother had this and it is no picnic. It is embarrassing, humiliating and not the way any of us would choose to go.

My aunt also had it and used to pull her pants down at family gatherings, walk outside the apartment in underwear, etc.

The risk for a prophet being able to embarrass the church are so great, I am sure he is medicated up the ying yang when we see him on TV.

And, believe me, everyone is holding their breath. When you see photos of him in public, just look at his secretary's face. It's all there.

It would be decent if they would just let him retire and give us Packer, the Man for Some Seasons and Definitely Not This One.

Anagrammy

Date: March 25, 2013 01:19AM

Here's my prophecy.

One fine general conference day, Monson will stand up and say, turning his body to Packer, "You'd like to be sitting here now, wouldn't you." And he'll shake his head and laugh, maybe point, laugh again and sit down, close his eyes and appear to nod off.

THen he'll stand back up out of the clear blue and announce, "He's not sitting here." THen sit down.

That kind of thing.

Ana

Posted by: puleez ( )
Date: March 24, 2013 01:01AM

I hope BKP takes over.

More and more people will leave TSCC...because of his bigotry and arrogance.

Posted by: notsurewhattothink ( )
Date: March 24, 2013 01:16AM

I agree, when as a TBM I didn't want Packer as the Prophet, but now that I'm out, I do. :)

Posted by: Ragnar ( )
Date: March 24, 2013 11:26AM

When Spencer Kimball was in the main chair, he was getting pretty feeble with age. He seemed to be overdue for the Reaper. At that time, I did hear from some other members that God was keeping SWK alive because he didn't want Ezra Taft Bensen as profit, and god was waiting for ETB to die first. I think they were saying it as a joke. Anyway, SWK did die and ETB did become the next profit. ETB was a polarizing personality himself with weird ideas and postions, but I don't know if a lot of people left because of him. Everybody around me just said, "Isn't he great! Oh, I love him so!"

Posted by: Claire Ferguson ( )
Date: March 24, 2013 05:58PM

I lived in LA in 1981/82 and I heard the view many times, that SWK was being kept alive by god to prevent ETB becoming prophet; from what I recall it wasn't a joke, people really seemed to believe that.

So much so, it coloured my view of ETB hugely. When he became prophet I was serving my mission, and my companion at the time was a relative of ETB. I remember the day the Mission President called us to tell us SWK had died, my comp and I couldn't sleep that night and she talked about ETB for hours and hours.

My comp of course loved ETB dearly and I saw him in a different light after that.

All I can say now is I still love that companion dearly. The church, not so much (understatement).

I know this isn't all that relevant, I guess it was just something I wanted to verbalise. I'm pretty churned up about the church at the moment, saw The Book of Mormon Musical in London last night. Loved it but I found it painful too.

Thanks for listening.

Posted by: Ragnar ( )
Date: March 25, 2013 11:33AM

I'm impressed that that view was so widespread, but everybody immediately changed their view/tune when ETB became profit. From that point on, he was like unto god.

I'm thinking of making a short trip to London for a few days (I'm across the North Sea). I'd like to see the BoM, but also a few other sights. I understand there's a London Eye that's impressive. I'd never heard of that until I was over here in Europe.

Posted by: John_Lyle ( )
Date: March 24, 2013 08:59PM

The church is built on arrogance and bigotry...

People will line up to follow whomever takes over...

Look at how excited they got over something as stupid as lowering missionary ages...

Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: March 24, 2013 01:26AM

Green Bay will prolly want to change their name...

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: March 24, 2013 02:18AM

lol

Posted by: Mr. Neutron ( )
Date: March 24, 2013 03:30PM

Good Lord. Let's hope it doesn't come to that! Who wants to hail from Boyd K. Wisconsin?

Posted by: enoughenoch19 ( )
Date: March 24, 2013 03:40AM

I wish it could be Alice Cooper.
Seriouly, they will NEVER admit that Monsoon is less than capable of being the seer and revelator. In fact, with Alheizmer's, he might actually have a revelation or two or at least see some things like JS did.
A TMB I was talking with the other day said that the Catholic Church was so wrong in letting the previous pope quit. I argued that Benedict XI knew more about his own health and wellness than anyone else and if he did not feel he could handle such a position, at least he had the wherewithall to step-down. The TBM just stood there looking at me with her mouth hanging open like I was nuts.
Unless Monsoon actually starts blabbering about alien spacecraft in conference or something like that, seeing Kolobians in the temple, he will not step down and nobody will make him. He has to embarrass TSCC big time to get kicked out.

If they did things like normal businesses do, then they'd see who is best at seeing and revelating and that guy gets to be next. HA HA....none of them can see or revelate. Never could.........

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2013 03:50AM by enoughenoch19.

Posted by: John_Lyle ( )
Date: March 24, 2013 09:04PM

You don't get it... The Jesuits had to take over for the anti-Christ to come. Benedict XVI was pushed out, so the final pope could come in and conspire with the anti-Christ...

The mormons are just clueless about this... (Or Monson is the anti-Christ)

Naw, I am just kidding...

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: March 24, 2013 08:45AM

Just let Monson keep doing it. LDS, Inc. hasn't been making good judgment calls anyway. Just have faith.

Posted by: sparkyguru ( )
Date: March 24, 2013 08:46AM

personally I hope it is intermittent enough that they keep trying to let him speak at GC, then he will toss out some wild idea. (like missionaries can be 16 now or maybe tithing is now 5%, Gays can get married, etc)

near the end GBH to me seemed to focus on things that were really productive, like telling people to be nice, I got the feeling he was dulling a lot of the points that separate mormons out from the rest. Maybe in his own way he was trying to do good from his position the only way he could without outright telling people I think its a sham too. IDK a true believer could argue that he is teaching people to be good like any prophet should. (ect for BY, we don't talk about his teachings much :))

Posted by: Buddacriss ( )
Date: March 24, 2013 10:22AM

When I was a kid in the 70's, I was visiting family friends in France. The Mom woke me up and said,

"We are going to the airport to meet The Prophet!"

Joseph Fielding Smith was speaking at conferences in Europe. We met him and he was sweet and child-like. He was disoriented and thought he was in California. He didn't say much, his handlers were all around, but he did greet us kids warmly.

I saw him later on tv, speaking at the conference. He sounded ok, but I knew he was not. I knew he had dementia. This was revealing to me that the prophet may or may not be "all there". The leaders will just prop him up and pretend :/

Posted by: jl ( )
Date: March 24, 2013 11:24AM

I don't know if he really has Alzheimer's or not.

But, for me, he surely acted like he did in the last two GC's.

Regardless, I hope BKP steps up and messes up TSCC worse than it is now, so that everyone can see TSCC for what it is-irrelevant, not-inspired-or-instituted-by-God, and hateful, just like BKP himself.

Posted by: almost ( )
Date: March 24, 2013 04:10PM

this has been rumored for over a year, there will be no change, they will let him live out his life as president. No stepping down like the pope. The others can run it, just like with SWK, ETB and Hunter.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: March 24, 2013 10:08PM

POLITICS POLITICS POLITICS

Posted by: en passant ( )
Date: March 25, 2013 03:58PM

GBH was the man behind the curtain during the tenures of SWK, ETB, and HWH, all three of whom became incompetent at some point or another.

Like GBH, Henry Eyring will lead behind the scenes as long as TSM remains alive. If BKP doesn't die first and actually succeeds TSM, AND if BKP re-appoints Eyring as 1st Counselor, expect Henry's leadership to continue, 'cause BKP doesn't have many functioning synapses left either.

And remember, Perry (91) and Nelson (89) are next after Packer--not exactly candidates of youthful vigor. So if Henry is able to hang on, he's very likely to fulfill a GBH-type leadership role as 1st Counselor for a long time.

Posted by: davidlkent ( )
Date: March 25, 2013 04:15PM

Am I mistaken in thinking BKP commenced some years ago on a career of painting pretty pictures? Perhaps he could be farmed out harmlessly--although that would clear the way for these neonazis.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: March 25, 2013 09:05PM

for Udork to be the holy profitogawd. I think there's a chance that he could be the one to make almighty Mormon god change his mind on the order of succession thing. After all, God spent eons trying to perfect his ultimate pretty boy creation. He probably wants to put him front and center. He was only practicing with Paul Ryan but he didn't get the accent right so he let the Catholics have him.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.