Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Like ohmigod ( )
Date: March 24, 2013 04:31AM

http://community.babycenter.com/post/a40873906/if_you_were_a_pedophile_trigger_obviously

Is it just me, or is this just really wrong? It sounds like they're going to cut the kids off from any kind of communication with home overnight. The person who posted it doesn't like it, but she only seems concerned that the kids would be staying with strangers. I see a much bigger issue: the church grooming the kids to be more submissive misssionaries later, and interfering in the parent-child relationship. I think it should be up to the parents whether the kids take cell phones or other devices, not the church.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: eldorado ( )
Date: March 24, 2013 04:49AM

No this is a really bad idea, seriously this is the kind of crud the cult my brother was involved with in collage pulled. They told him what to watch, what to read, who an when he could talk to. If it was not for a dorm mate things would have been a lot worse. Plus the whole safety issue is thrown out the window.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 24, 2013 08:58AM

Sending youth to spend a weekend with strangers, with all communication cut off, is a really, really bad idea. What parent would approve of this?

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: March 24, 2013 09:22AM

The no cell phone rule isn't that big a deal, since there was a time not too long ago that no one had cell phones and, incredible but true, we all survived. The trouble is that it's another manipulative indoctrination session with no oversight.

Posted by: tippy top ( )
Date: March 24, 2013 10:06PM

Posted by: Infinite Dreams ( )
Date: March 24, 2013 10:09PM

One missionary who was serving in this area 20 years ago brought his own mobile phone. He was from Scandinavia, from some family important in the Morg there. No one batted an eye.

Posted by: Brethren,adieu ( )
Date: March 24, 2013 10:15PM

Our stake did that last year. I told my 16 yr old son there was no way that he would be participating. He didn't mind at all.

Posted by: Marik ( )
Date: March 24, 2013 11:22PM

Did something like this years ago. We all went to this place called The Neverland Ranch. The host (strange looking guy) gave us a pill to help us relax.
Don't remember much but I was really sore the next day so we must all must of had a good time playing at the amusement park or something.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: March 24, 2013 11:33PM

Posted by: mia ( )
Date: March 25, 2013 12:42AM

This would be a dream come true for a rapist I once knew.

His mother was YW president. She would have the YW over for sleepovers. At 2am he would get out of bed and choose his victim.

He raped at least 10 girls.

The bishop, sp, and church headquarters ALL KNEW he was doing this, and chose to sweep it under the rug. Girl # 10 had parents that weren't willing to keep quiet about it.

So, my question is: How do these parents know they aren't sending their kids into a similar situation? If all the men in leadership positions clear to the top are willing to keep it a secret, there's no way the parents could know.

By the way, Girl #10 knew this family well. Her parents knew them well. The rapists father was in the bishopric, his mother was YW leader. They knew what was going on. One of his victims was his own sister. STILL they had (and were allowed to have) sleepovers at their home.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: March 25, 2013 03:20AM

When I was twelve my father made me stay the weekend with the local missionaries. They forced me to strip naked and take a bath. Telltale steam rose from the tub, which was filled with scalding water, so I closed the door and drained it. Then I washed up in the sink, and emerged, fully clothed and not burnt from the bathroom. The two mishies were furious and my father got a bad report.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2013 03:37AM by donbagley.

Posted by: Anon Regular Lurker ( )
Date: March 25, 2013 04:12AM

We went on what were called mini-missions they called them. THis was in the early 80's, suburb city east of Portland or. I remember in fact when it was, because I was watching tonight of all nights, the ESPN 30/30 series about NC State's 1983 title game. I watched that game at our host families house.

Anyway, we were assigned a "Companion", who happened to be my friend, and we stayed at another ward members house. We tracted all day Saturday, handing out the book "A Marvelous Work and a Wonder". I don't remember much, except for a few doors we knocked on and some responses, but it was otherwise uneventfull. I think we handed out 4 or 5 who actually took the book.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.