Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: daughterofperdition ( )
Date: March 25, 2013 10:43AM

So, I'm in Salt Lake, and I invited an old Mormon friend to bring her 3 year old to hunt eggs with mine this past Sat at a local free hunt for kids. I was stunned when she told me that they couldn't because they had to buy guns this weekend for the kids and their family, because gun laws might change at any time now making them register with the GOVERNMENT! (cue death star music). Later they brought by the "beautiful" taser they bought for their 14 year old as a present. (Just a few years ago their son had shocked himself unconscious on an old taser.) And here is the funny part - I asked if they were going to do any egg hunts this next week, and they said they don't like the violence of the Easter egg dashes!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2013 02:01PM by daughterofperdition.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Ragnar ( )
Date: March 25, 2013 10:59AM

It's a VERY GOOD THING that they are not participating in the Easter Egg Hunt with your kids. If there were any disagreements as to who saw which egg first, your kids would likely be tazed (or threatened to be shot) by your friend's children! Give them a WIDE berth...

Posted by: daughterofperdition ( )
Date: March 25, 2013 01:57PM

You are so right! The odd thing is I feel like it is a Utah thing. They told me that their ward never has Easter egg hunts for the children. And she look at me like I was weird for suggesting it. Why? Is this common in Utah? Is it too pagan for ultra Mormons? Are they too cheap? There is also a pioneer village here that is having as part of its Easter celebration a shoot off and no Easter egg hunt. Also, it is surprisingingly difficult to find free egg hunts - many cost $5 and up at museums and such. This is such a crazy state!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2013 01:58PM by daughterofperdition.

Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: March 25, 2013 02:00PM

daughterofperdition Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This is such a crazy state!

Yeah, crazy wouldn't be the word I would use.

Posted by: eldorado ( )
Date: March 25, 2013 04:05PM

Glad I am not the only one who thinks that, Some of the grocery stores hold free egg hunts you might one to check into that. Though I have given up on doing free things in Utah(I have pretty passive kids when it comes to other people and they just get trampled or pushed out of the way)

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: March 25, 2013 04:55PM

When I was a kid, the city held Easter egg hunts at the park. I've never seen Mormons do one.

Say no to eggs and candy, but yes to guns and tasers? No wonder the kids are confused.

Posted by: Richard the Bad ( )
Date: March 25, 2013 05:05PM

But if your kid has a taser.......he can just wait until the other kids find all the eggs and them take them from them:-)

Seriously though, the gun manufacturers are having a field day with all the paranoia running through folks. It's amazing how people can become so afraid of an uncertain future that they fail to enjoy the present. Oh wait, that's the whole premise of "insert organized religion of your choice here".

Posted by: quebec ( )
Date: March 25, 2013 05:11PM

There is nothing like a tool of death to celebrate resurrection. [end of sarcasm logic].

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 25, 2013 05:57PM

the U.S. Constitution has a MAJOR problem, because it doesn't limit gun possession and/or use to adults...

Posted by: Bradley ( )
Date: March 25, 2013 08:04PM

Reminds me of my favorite line from Mars Attacks:

"I'll tell ya one thing, they ain't getting the TV."

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: March 25, 2013 08:08PM

... And I'm a Mormon!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.