Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Hermes ( )
Date: March 28, 2013 02:58PM

As a kid, I loved the candy aspect of Easter, resurrection? That's nice, but bring on the sweets.

I love Peeps, and don't really like when they try to change it up too much. Party Cake flavor? blasphemy. Sugar, Marshmallow, Artificial Coloring. Don't go messing with it. I've found most people love them or hate them.

I'm an ear-biter when it comes to chocolate bunnies. I don't eat the rest right away, I want them to think about their fate in silence.

Least favorite? Jelly beans, unless the flavors are unique.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: quebec ( )
Date: March 28, 2013 03:06PM

I had to go on-line to find out what Peeps were ;-)

For us it was Cadbury Cream Eggs and the Oh Henry Egg size.
plus of course the Jelly beans.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 28, 2013 03:11PM

They are better if you open the package and let them go stale a little (I'd say harder, but you know). I shouldn't eat them, but I do. My kids hate them, so I bought them both a pkg for their Easter baskets (age 27).

And isn't Easter more fun without religion?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2013 03:11PM by cl2.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: March 28, 2013 04:08PM

And bunnies are better than chicks because they go stale better. I like the pink ones best because I like the nasty dye lol. I already have a pack popped and working :)

Posted by: Darkfem ( )
Date: March 28, 2013 05:18PM

If you want to speed up the process you can put them in a "cool" (180-200 degree) oven for 1/2 hr or so. Yes, I have done this, I am not ashamed.

Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: March 29, 2013 12:22AM

What? I thought I was the only one who liked stale peeps! My family thinks I am weird. The staler the better! I leave them out for at least a week before they are stale enough. Good to know about the oven trick. I wonder how long it would take in a food dehydrator? Lucky Charm level staleness!

Posted by: faithnomore ( )
Date: March 28, 2013 05:20PM

I totally agree with the stale thing. I love to eat peeps after the package has been open for a few hours. ;)

Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: March 28, 2013 03:14PM

I'm a big candy junkie. Love peeps, malted milk eggs, and jelly beans if they're the right brand -- Smuckers or Starburst. Oh, and anything chocolate.

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: March 28, 2013 03:15PM

Otherwise, malted milk eggs -- the ones with the pastel or white-colored candy shell on the outside of the chocolate are best -- and the eggs with a semi-hard colored candy coating, and a fluffy, sugary white interior. Those are getting harder and harder to find.

Posted by: Good Witch ( )
Date: March 28, 2013 06:45PM

Posted by: inmoland ( )
Date: March 29, 2013 12:16AM

I've tried to find those hard eggs with the fluffy white filling, too, but never see them anymore. Wish i knew what they were called.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 28, 2013 03:18PM

I just made a trip to Brigham City today for several reasons, but had to stop at Idle Isle to get some "nut balls" for my kids. I got some for myself also. Anyone even close to Brigham City should try Idle Isle chocolates.

Posted by: biblebeltbetsy ( )
Date: March 28, 2013 03:53PM

Freakin' love their nut balls....kinda reminds me of that Saturday Night Live skit...

Posted by: janebond462 (NLI) ( )
Date: March 28, 2013 03:19PM

I'm a dark chocolate, peanut butter egg gal.

On the subject of Peeps, if you want a chuckle you must check out the Washington Post's annual contest, Peeps Show. Dioramas with Peeps. The incredible detail and creativity never cease to amaze me.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/peeps-show-vii-2013-diorama-contest-winners/2013/03/26/9bdbb408-9638-11e2-9e23-09dce87f75a1_gallery.html#photo=1

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: March 28, 2013 03:35PM

I liked the picnic scene the best.

Posted by: quebec ( )
Date: March 28, 2013 03:43PM

Thanks, that is so cute. I liked the RIPs to all the other treats ;) and I loved the minions.

I wonder if someone someday will make an animated film of those Peeps shows.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2013 03:45PM by quebec.

Posted by: puff the magic dragon ( )
Date: March 28, 2013 03:24PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2013 03:24PM by puff the magic dragon.

Posted by: Quoth the Raven Nevermo ( )
Date: March 28, 2013 03:35PM

Posted by: foggy ( )
Date: March 28, 2013 03:37PM

No peeps, but don't get between me and a bag of cadburry mini eggs...

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: March 28, 2013 03:46PM

At the last meet up group here in seattle, I met a super cool exmo who bought something like 12 of them! I love them too, and she brought a bag. After eating a few of them I remembered how much I loved them.

I was in the store a few days later and got myself a bag.

Whoopsies.

Bag gone.

Damnit!

Posted by: foggy ( )
Date: March 28, 2013 03:48PM

I have had to stay far away from the easter candy aisle when I'm grocery shopping.

But I can always count on my mom to pick me up a couple bags at the day after sale :)

Posted by: Lostmypassword ( )
Date: March 28, 2013 03:52PM

http://www.peepresearch.org/

Some heavy science going on there.

Posted by: judyblue ( )
Date: March 28, 2013 04:53PM

I like Peeps exactly enough to buy one package every couple of years, and only at Easter. None of those Halloween or Christmas Peeps they're trying to push now.

By far the best Easter candy is the Cadbury Mini Eggs. The Creme Eggs are good, too, but the Mini Eggs.... Mmmmmm. I usually buy a couple of big bags on clearance a few days after Easter and freeze them to munch on for the next few months. The first time I went to the UK there was a vending machine at airport arrivals selling them - in JUNE! I started happy dancing right in the middle of Gatwick.

Posted by: rainwriter ( )
Date: March 28, 2013 05:06PM

Yes, peep. I think they're fantastic.

When my son was about 3, he couldn't bring himself to eat the faces, so he'd bite off the ears, the body, and then set the head/face up for display.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: March 28, 2013 05:20PM

I would much rather have the caramel filled Cadbury eggs (crème ones are icky), Robin's Eggs, and Jelly Belly's.

Posted by: crafty ( )
Date: March 28, 2013 05:23PM

How to bring a mormony Easter to your house:

http://peepsofmormon.blogspot.com/

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: March 28, 2013 05:42PM

That is disturbing - if you scroll about 1/3 of the way down, the peeps are acting out the scripture about a skin of blackness coming on them. The before picture is pink peeps, the after picture is purple peeps.

Seriously, disturbing. And the so-called toothpick swords look more like the peeps are happy to see you. Very happy.

Posted by: judyblue ( )
Date: March 28, 2013 07:05PM

I left a comment on the skin of blackness one: "Well that's adorably racist."

Seriously.

Posted by: Infinite Dreams ( )
Date: March 28, 2013 05:29PM

The are so yummy & trashy, I love them!!!!!!

Posted by: gladtobeme ( )
Date: March 28, 2013 06:35PM

ROBIN'S EGGS!! Now that you've mentioned them, I want some soooooo much! Noooooo this is torture... Jelly beans.. peeps... robin's eggs.... *drools*

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: March 28, 2013 06:37PM

Here's what you do with the robin's eggs. Buy a coconut cream pie, dye some more coconut green and sprinkle it lightly across the top. Then sprinkle robin's eggs over the "nest". Super easy Easter desert and the combo of chocolate/malt eggs with coconut cream pie is delicious.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2013 06:37PM by CA girl.

Posted by: Queen of Denial ( )
Date: March 28, 2013 07:18PM

Sunday is Easter?!?!?!?!

ACK! Later ya'll. I've gotta go get some shopping done.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: March 28, 2013 07:24PM

I'm another huge fan of See's candies, especially the big chocolate filled eggs, and those jelly beans with the sprinkles around them.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: March 28, 2013 09:44PM

Bo Peep, no peep. I hated peeps and all marshmallow "candies." I considered marshmallows and cotton candy to be the poor sisters to real sweets. Right down there in the goodie gutter with gumballs.

Solid chocolate "eggs," football shaped delights. White chocolate bunnies, yum. Jelly beans by the mouthful. Caramel filled chocolate spheres, oohie, gooey. Malted milk Robin's eggs, in a colorful speckled candy shell. Now those are the treasures in the basket.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2013 09:46PM by donbagley.

Posted by: inmoland ( )
Date: March 29, 2013 12:14AM

If you love Peeps, you gotta try the Vanilla Creme flavor. They're really hard to find for Easter, but a bit easier at Valentine's Day. They come in big heart shapes.

We always got those See's green coconut nests with the little jelly bean eggs in them and the huge Russell Stover Fruit and Nut eggs when I was a kid. Yum!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2013 12:14AM by inmoland.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.