Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: pewsitter ( )
Date: March 28, 2013 10:42PM

When my ex wife and I separated, I moved to a new ward. The Bishop of the new ward told me they had no singles in his ward and that I should attend a different church. Two months later I asked the EQP who my HT’s were and he said the Bishop had told him not to assign me HT’s because I would not be attending with them. The man was a prophet. I wish I had followed his counsel and actually joined a different religion.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: nickname ( )
Date: March 28, 2013 10:56PM

Huh. Weird. I've never heard of a Mormon telling someone to join another religion. Aren't they all supposed to be the "whore of all the earth," or whatever?

Posted by: jl ( )
Date: March 28, 2013 10:59PM

TSCC is a totally f-cked up church. This YSA program (creating wards and stakes for young single adults) actually has created many inactive members, and they think it's inspired? Inspired my @ss!

1. If you are single and over 30, you get kicked out of Young Single Adult wards. Then what? You get sent to a family ward, where you have a slimmer chance at getting married, which contradicts what TSCC expects of you -- getting married and having babies. So, many (well-paid) single members over 30 are now inactive or slowing getting inactive -- at least in my city. That's good though. Less tithing money for TSCC.

2. If you are divorced with children, and under 30, you can't go to a family ward (because you are single), and you can't go to a YSA ward (because you have children). So, where do you go?

3. If you are over 30, divorced with children, you have to go to a family ward. Again, you have a even slimmer chance at finding a new spouse and raising your children together. So you choose to stay home and take care of the kids instead of going to church because everyone in your ward has children and don't have time to help you.

Whoever came up with the f-cked up idea of YSA program is definitely NOT inspired, I tell ya.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: March 28, 2013 11:51PM

I love reading this board because after all these years, people come up with new insights.

I left the church when I came out at age 26. I was attending a Singles Ward, and knew that I was 4 years from being booted to a family ward in an area where I did not grow up.

I am now well over 30. Even if I suffered from a high fever and decided in my folly to return to church, I do not see how that would be possible for me. Even if I agreed to split up with my boyfriend and lead a celibate monk's life, there is no place for me. I cannot attend YSA, which is designed to find a heterosexual mate anyway. I am not going to some family ward to listen to unruly babies and EQ lessons on how to be a good father.

My grandma became a widow at 60 and lived another 30 years. She attended the awfully named "Special Interests". Maybe things have changed since I left, but I am not going to attend the widows club at my age. I may not be a "young adult" any more, but I'm not close to retirement age either.

So, even if I could overcome all my issues with the church, they have no place for someone like me. For all their claims to want to bring gay men back, a single man over 30 with no intention of marrying has no place in the church other than awkward.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2013 11:52PM by axeldc.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.