Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: pewsitter ( )
Date: March 28, 2013 11:48PM

The Church promotes the image that its members are about 35 years old with small children and happy or elderly getting ready to serve a mission. I used to count the number of single adults in the different wards I attended and was amazed that on average, in each ward that ratio of single adults to married adults was about 1/3 single and 2/3 married. The single adults that attended church meetings was usually about zero or less than one percent.

Does Mormon Jesus only want married folks in his church?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: nomormo ( )
Date: March 29, 2013 12:18AM

Watching a show in SLC on ksl a few weeks ago they had a drone from YBU or the COB being interviewed about growth.
What he said shocked me a bit as he said they have a new problem with so many 31-45 year olds and are placing them in what they call mid-singles wards. The wards consist of those unmarried and a more reavealing group ... divorced singles.
He implied that divorced sector is bursting at the seams.

Posted by: jl ( )
Date: March 29, 2013 12:20AM

Divorced singles bursting at the seam?

Looks like the magic of "temple marriage" wears out quite a bit.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 29, 2013 01:21AM

I'm sure this partly depends on where U R.

some locations experience more growth than others, have & attract a slightly different demographic than non-growth areas.

In the 60s, the Seattle area drew LOTS of educated ppl from Utah/IMW. their grand-children (& some Great G-C) now are the 'rock' of TSCC there, SPs & others.

other places (I lived in Duluth MN for a while) just don't draw ppl, they're more stagnant. I don't think that 'home town' people divorce as much, but IDK.

Posted by: snowednomore ( )
Date: March 29, 2013 02:02AM

I heard the statistic in a leadership meeting a couple years ago that more than half the women in the church are single; either divorced, widowed or never married. Anecdotal evidence - I hometeach a widow, single mom and a never married lady. My wife VTs two widows, one married lady, and a young never married lady. For what it is worth.

Posted by: mia ( )
Date: March 29, 2013 02:05AM

This is the real reason the church wants women to have an education. They don't want to end up supporting women when the men don't show up to do the job.

Posted by: snowednomore ( )
Date: March 29, 2013 02:20AM

Exactly!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.