Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: haylee22 ( )
Date: March 30, 2013 08:28PM

I'm sitting in the chapel, silently shaking my head at this... Crap. I don't know if anyone else is tuning in, but I've just noticed how shallow the church is. They have no depths to their lives. Everything is so superficial, everything is so... Fake, not that my eyes have been opened. It doesn't make sense. There is so much more to life than not drinking coffee, not attending 'bad' people, only hanging out with LDS people. There is so much more to life than the scriptures, than the 'Redeemer of the World,' than seminary, and church. I don't get it. Why had I ever believed this BS? Why can't others see around me that what they believe is a big, fat, giant lie. There is no such thing as the absolute truth, but then why do they claim it is? Is it normal to be this angry after I realized my entire life, I was betrayed and fed lies? The girl next to me is staring at me while I am typing this, no likely judging because I am on my phone. But what does it matter? How do you find the strength to break away from the church and it's fruad?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: procrusteanchurch ( )
Date: March 30, 2013 08:33PM

Sorry you have to sit through it. Good luck keeping down the bile. At least you have RfM to keep you company.

Also, yes, it is normal to feel a little upset when you realize your entire life has revolved around a lie.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2013 08:35PM by mike222.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: March 30, 2013 08:40PM

Disclaimer: For those of you who don't know, I never got baptized....

OK, here's what I always thought about the world if everyone was a mormon; it would be very peacful and mellow and Disney-esque, but it would ultimately be the most dull and boring existence imaginable.

Posted by: haylee22 ( )
Date: March 30, 2013 08:41PM

Yup. I hate how... Unfullfilled my life has been before now.

Just one more thing, one of the speakers just said. 'Save the girl, save generations.' Yup, definitely shallow.

Posted by: jan ( )
Date: March 30, 2013 11:02PM

Chicken N. Backpacks Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> OK, here's what I always thought about the world
> if everyone was a mormon; it would be very peacful
> and mellow and Disney-esque, but it would
> ultimately be the most dull and boring existence
> imaginable.

I dunno; Mark Hofmann was a Mormon and, for a short time at least, life around him was anything but dull and boring.

Posted by: twojedis ( )
Date: March 31, 2013 02:15AM

I'm reading Kay Burningham's book, and I'm right at the part talking about all of the horrible stuff that went on in Utah under BY's rule. That kind of stuff still goes on, just not as extreme. It's nothing like Disney.

Posted by: Cynthia ( )
Date: March 30, 2013 10:54PM

You'll find the strength to break away from the church when the time is right, that still won't make it easy to do. My husband was the bishop when I learned the church is a fraud and I couldn't break away at that time. He was afraid he would be released and he did not want to be released. I told him nothing would change, I would attend church but there are things I don't believe any more. It took five years for the time to be right for me to break away. I weaned myself away first by not attending RS, then SS then SM. He was released as bishop and I haven't attended anything for over a year now. I am done, not resigned but done.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: March 30, 2013 10:58PM

Save the girl, save the generations - what that means is if you go after the girl, promise her a fairy tale marriage and family, blame her "lack of righteousness" when things go wrong so she tries harder, threaten to take her kids away for eternity, then you will have her through fear. She then, will have her claws in her husband to not ask questions and stay compliant and she will bully her kids into being Mormon for fear of losing them.

The hand that rocks the cradle rules the world - dontcha know.

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: March 30, 2013 11:53PM

We're in the same boat, Haylee22. I sat through it too, but in the conference center. I had many of the same thoughts as you. I mostly disliked the bit about Joseph Smith standing in holy places.

Posted by: molly_phobic ( )
Date: March 31, 2013 12:09AM

I spent most of my adolescence raging--against the church and all of its misogynistic bullsh*t and all the ways it warped my mind and my emotions. Even now, almost 15 years after I leaving the church, I'll remember something I was taught about my woman's role in the universe, and I'll start fuming.

However, I eventually learned not to fear my anger. So much of my behavioral conditioning in the cult was geared toward forcing me to deny my true emotions. One reason why I think morgbots--especially the women--are so terrifying is because of their superficial, saccharine happiness. They ooze joy all over the place, but you tap their belief and you hear the thump--plastic shell, all hollow inside.

Once I realized the truth, my rage became an asset, another way I distinguished between me and MY boundaries, and the morgbots and their manipulation. Embrace your emotions--at least you have the strength and the honesty to feel them!!

Date: March 31, 2013 02:19AM

You young people, still trapped are incredibly strong. You will be a huge force when the time is right for you to leave. You have 30 more years than I do to make a difference. Just keep studying and learning, get an education, and rock the world. Your generation will make the church sorry they have lied. I'm excited to see the future!!

Posted by: jl ( )
Date: March 31, 2013 05:01AM

^this^

So, please do whatever you can to learn and empower yourself, remembering that you are more than what they've been telling you.

Posted by: jong1064 ( )
Date: March 31, 2013 04:51AM

I'm so excited. My daughter was supposed to go tonight. I was out of town and when I asked her about it she said, "Dad forgot about it and I'm not going to remind him." I think she is starting to back away a little. Yes!

Date: March 31, 2013 07:52PM

Woo hoo! That's exciting!!

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: March 31, 2013 08:43PM

Even as a tbm I would do this, I would justify it by telling myself I was already strong in my beliefs lol

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 31, 2013 08:27AM

It's ridiculous how nevermo teens get maligned. I had a circle of girlfriends in high school, and among that group was a Mormon convert. We were about has wholesome as you could get. We were all Girl Scouts and good students, most of us were varsity athletes, and most were involved with church youth groups. We didn't party nor run wild.

But according to the Mormon church, as nevermo teens we were to be viewed with suspicion. That, or viewed as targets for conversion. Thank goodness our Mormon friend had too much respect for us to try that.

Posted by: Raisingspecialneeds ( )
Date: March 31, 2013 11:28AM

I remember being 17 and literally being forced to sit through a RS meeting about the law of chasity. Good news is, I made the speaker very uncomfortable to talk about how much of a sin it is to have sexual relations outside of marriage. She couldn't help but glance at the poor 17yr old, with her big pregnant belly, knowing how far I had fallen from God's graces.
By being forced, every time I tried to leave because I refused to listen to this woman talking about the way to true redemption if the unwed parents refused to marry was adoption, I was literally grabbed on my arm, and pulled back down into my chair. So instead, I just rubbed my belly, and let my baby kick my hand.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 31, 2013 12:12PM

Who was grabbing you? Your mom?

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: March 31, 2013 08:46PM

Thats awful :(
I remember my dad dragging me back into sacrament because I had taken to long in the bathroom and wasn't upholding the perfect family image

Posted by: brownie ( )
Date: March 31, 2013 11:55AM

The mo cult is *again* stealing something to use for their own purposes.
'The Girl Effect' is likely what they're referring to...

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: March 31, 2013 12:05PM

The sidebar in the Trib mentioned something about "avoiding tattoos and addictions". What was that all about?

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: March 31, 2013 12:33PM

You should be proud for realizing all this now at your age.

What they are suggesting you do with your life is DANGEROUS.

They are literally asking young people to make permanent decisions incredibly young - and purely based on feelings.

Good for you for seeing through it.

Posted by: pathfinder ( )
Date: March 31, 2013 02:06PM

( How do you find the strength to break away from the church and it's fruad? )

Get up and walk out.
Never come back.

there is a wide world out there waiting for you with a lot of good fun to have.

Find another Church.
paint a picture.
read a book.
Curl up on the couch and watch old movies.
go to the park.

Spring is here and the days are Awesome...

Smell a flower.
Pick a rose.

If you want to get closer to God than talk to him.
If you don't believe in God, than believe in life.

Live love and be happy on YOUR terms.

Posted by: Sketchlines ( )
Date: March 31, 2013 08:45PM

It can take time to find the strength. The process can teach you a lot. My advice? Try to avoid clutteing your mind with a myriad of scary "what ifs'" associated with leaving and thinking for yourself. Believe in yourself, and be mindful of the present. Don't be afraid.

Also, I've found places like this to often be valuable for stimulating thought. Give yourself credit for the progress you have made so far.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.