Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Thorn ( )
Date: April 03, 2013 06:17AM

Women in the priesthood? Why not, however would the Church be shooting themselves in the foot? Wouldn't people question why God would change his mind? He did about blacks and the priesthood now women? Hey, Im all for it but don't try to get me to believe it's God changing his mind. It's up to the Q15 and they will likely go this route, not by a revelation but because of public and internal pressure. Not likely to see it in this generation though.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: smith ( )
Date: April 03, 2013 06:47AM

It shouldn't stop at just the imaginary priesthood, but they should also allow women to marry multiple men in the Temple too!

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: April 03, 2013 07:55AM

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: April 03, 2013 09:53AM

From the article -- In a survey of U.S. religion, authors Robert Putnam and David Campbell, in their 2010 book, American Grace: How Religion Divides and Unites Us, found that 90 percent of LDS women opposed female ordination in their church (ironically, only 52 percent of Mormon men were against it).

I saw this and was wondering if women feel they are already overworked and men wouldn't mind having women do more work?

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: April 03, 2013 10:01AM

Watch for the 90 percent of both to suddenly support it, should it ever become a reality. Then to deny they were ever against it.

Posted by: Laban's Head ( )
Date: April 03, 2013 10:08AM

Even in my active days I was pretty pro-feminist and very aware of the second class status of women in the church. And in theory I was very much for women having the priesthood. BUT I sure as hell did NOT want it. And that was my reason -- I had enough to do and didn't want one more thing on my plate.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: April 03, 2013 09:57AM

I doubt if they gave the women the priesthood that the women would have any more power in the lds church.

I'm somebody who likes to stay out of the "limelight." I always felt bad for the kids passing and blessing the sacrament. I'd die before I'd ever give a blessing.

Again, if they gave the priesthood to women, I doubt much would change.

Date: April 03, 2013 10:10AM

Rather than give women the priesthood and have to deal with explaining a huge doctrinal change, I can see a number of church callings being de-priesthood-ized. That could be handled as only a policy change rather than a doctrinal one.

Even if there were no pressure from some members (and from the outside world) to ordain women, the realities of administering a global church might make some sort of accommodation necessary. There's a shortage of priesthood holders in many areas of the world. That makes it hard running local units. If some priesthood positions were officially offloaded onto women, then fewer men would be required. A side benefit would be that more branches could become wards and more districts could become stakes and, on paper, there would be a big faith-promoting jump in local units, which is considered the true sign of church growth.

Posted by: icanseethelight ( )
Date: April 03, 2013 10:04AM

This would actually be the easiest of all the changes that could save the church.

Monson just says that GAWD told him to let ordained women exercise the priesthood they are given in the temple outside of it. No changing of doctrine.

I also believe this is about the only thing that will save the church. Within 50 years it could be one of the most progressive faiths in the world.

I was chatting with the missionaries yesterday, and they do not believe the church has ever taught that there is a heavenly mother, polygamy in heaven, sex in heaven. They believe god created our spirits because he is all powerful.

Anything could happen in the next 50 yrs.

Date: April 03, 2013 10:26AM

icanseethelight Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Monson just says that GAWD told him to let
> ordained women exercise the priesthood they are
> given in the temple outside of it.

Oooo, but that would mean speaking outside the temple about a specific that happens inside. ;^)

Posted by: dogeatdog ( )
Date: April 03, 2013 11:38AM

As much as I want this to happen, I also really don't. I think it would just extend the 'life' of Mormonism. I feel that's already what they're doing with lowering the missionary age for females. The women are now where it's at. Women can get their men to stay active, have families that are strong in the Church, etc.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.