Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: crom ( )
Date: April 03, 2013 03:09PM

Over at the Salt Lake Tribune, they did an article on the group "Ordain Women".

The movement wants LDS leaders to "prayerfully consider" opening the all male priesthood to women.

The comment board is on fire.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/56096212-78/women-priesthood-church-lds.html.csp

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: April 03, 2013 03:45PM

See the "Heavenly Mantle" above them. Yeah if a woman was there The Spirit of God like a frightened man would running screaming like a little girl.
http://www.lds.org/bc/content/ldsorg/content/images/twelve-apostles-portrait-bio-paast.jpg

Date: April 03, 2013 03:46PM

Date: April 03, 2013 06:25PM

I "got" it on the third reading!

You're a sharp (and subtle) wit!

Posted by: davidlkent ( )
Date: April 03, 2013 03:54PM

All right, fifty years down the road and the old geezer PS&R would be female? Should be doable.

Date: April 03, 2013 04:42PM

Pulled this off the comment thread. I just don't know what to think.

Joan:
Wow such incredible ignorance to want women to become men. The priesthood is a spiritual TOOL. Women don't operate with tools as part of their identity as men do, they are vastly different. Women's fundamental nature does not require a spiritual focusing tool like the priesthood, so for any woman to want the priesthood is to be INCREDIBLY ignorant of their own nature and abilities. This is an attack on men and an attempt at the perversion and masculinization of women. This is also an attack on femininity. The subtle inference is that a woman should not be feminine, she should do whatever men do. What garbage.

And this little gem:

rit:
There are two "hoods" in the LDS Church. The Priesthood and motherhood. The day God will allow women to hold the Priesthood will be the day men can bear children.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2013 04:45PM by crom.

Posted by: dogeatdog ( )
Date: April 03, 2013 04:48PM

I literally canNOT believe that people actually have thought processes that proceed along these lines. For them to actually voice something like this means they are quite convinced of the truthfulness of it. It blows my mind!

"so for any woman to want the priesthood is to be INCREDIBLY ignorant of their own nature and abilities."

Yes, what I really need is a 70+ year old man to tell me what my real nature and abilities are because I clearly could never actually know for myself...

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: April 03, 2013 04:55PM

or even the 1850's.

Posted by: mysid ( )
Date: April 03, 2013 09:11PM

Fathethood isn't a "hood"? Wow. Poor dads.

So if fatherhood doesn't matter, why are LDS's so against lesbians raising children? Oh yeah, gotta have someone with the priesthood in the house in case you need olive oil to heal your case of sniffles.

Posted by: schlock ( )
Date: April 04, 2013 11:24AM

I can attest to the fact that the relationship between fathers and their kids is a sideshow, an afterthought, at best.

My experience was that the court's (and the court minions) perceived difference between children having a relationship with their father, and children not having a relationship with their father, as analogous to the difference between printed or plain paper towels.

Especially, gawd forbid, if the father is a non-believer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2013 11:25AM by schlock.

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: April 04, 2013 08:10AM

it's rough in the "hood"

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 03, 2013 04:58PM

Is there anything funnier than a frightened Mormon in denial? One woman actually said that women should shut their mouths!

Posted by: sstone ( )
Date: April 03, 2013 05:30PM

Oh man, this sounds like a comment thread I should avoid. I'm sure it's absolutly painful to read--all those TBMs presenting dogma as fact because they CANNOT think outside the circular reasoning that's been drilled into their brains since age two.

Date: April 03, 2013 06:33PM

We get from this:
"Men who hold the priesthood are not inherently better than other men, but they should act differently. Men who hold the priesthood should not only receive priesthood authority but also become worthy and faithful conduits of God’s power."
http://www.lds.org/general-conference/2012/04/the-powers-of-heaven?lang=eng

Mormon women who don't hold the priesthood are not inherently better than other women, but they shouldn't act differently. Mormon women who don't hold the priesthood should not only obey priesthood authority but also become worthy and faithful conduits of God’s spirit children.

In the name of Jesse's girlfriend,

Amen.

Posted by: BaDBarT ( )
Date: April 03, 2013 09:36PM

Too little, too late.

Posted by: ambivalent exmo ( )
Date: April 03, 2013 10:53PM

Oh dear. I'm afraid some folks are feeling their world tilt, justalittlebit.
It's so fascinating to read the comments
Surreal-ish and disturbing. Also entertaining
Am I evil that I find this entertaining? LOL.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2013 10:54PM by ambivalent exmo.

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: April 03, 2013 11:11PM

asses that subjugate them.

Posted by: Viva La ChaCha ( )
Date: April 03, 2013 11:18PM

Stepford wives in real time. I can't believe so many women are defending such an obviously male paternalistic religion. It's so glaringly NOT equal. Truely asses that subjuagte them!

Posted by: fiona64 ( )
Date: April 04, 2013 12:27PM

Viva La ChaCha Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Stepford wives in real time. I can't believe so
> many women are defending such an obviously male
> paternalistic religion. It's so glaringly NOT
> equal. Truely asses that subjuagte them!

Stockholm Syndrome. It's the only explanation I have.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: April 04, 2013 09:00AM

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: April 04, 2013 01:48AM

What I'm waiting for is this to hit the LDS Families Babycenter board, as that will definitely be a popcorn moment.

Date: April 04, 2013 09:15PM

OH go ahead and post it. Tell us what happens.

Posted by: NYGGal ( )
Date: April 04, 2013 04:56AM

a leadership role in a dumb club?

I never understand faithful LDS women doing this.

If one believes TSCC is true and correct and reflects God's wishes, then why bother trying to change it?

If one believes TSCC is not true and not correct and does not reflect God's wishes, then why bother trying to change it?

Seems a waste of time and energy either way.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: April 04, 2013 09:01AM

Posted by: mia ( )
Date: April 04, 2013 02:17PM

My thoughts also. Why would anyone holler for more work and responsibility in the church? They don't feel used enough?

Posted by: mia ( )
Date: April 04, 2013 02:23PM

God forbid that women should touch or count the tithing money. God forbid they should ring the bell between classes.
And worst of all.....pass sacrament, bless their babies, baptize, or marry their kids, or know about any financial business.

Posted by: jl ( )
Date: April 04, 2013 06:59AM

Ordain women in TSCC?

Not.Gonna.Happen. Period.

Posted by: family first can't log in ( )
Date: April 04, 2013 07:25AM

I agree with JL, it's neeeeeeeever going to happen!

At best, there may be some concessions made to woman to appease those calling out for a change...but women on the whole will never be given the priesthood. There will be some statement made by the muckeymucks, Monson and Company...and if that doesn't put people calling out for a change to go silent and go back to sleep, they will be outted and swatted like flies...ie ex-communication.

I remember back in the past a woman calling out to the LDS church to make women equal, she got on national news and ended up being ousted.

The whole power trip, the control of the LDS church lies in the arrangement of the priest hood. I listened to sniveling women talking in RS about how blessed they were to have a husband who had the priesthood and how they can just defer to them and how they had to learn to listen to the man in their life who had the priesthood (recent convert whose husband was ordained). I listened to woman who talked about their 17 year old son receiving the priesthood and now had the priesthood in their home since there was no husband. To think that a grown woman would even consider deferring to a young boy is beyond me.

The whole LDS church is man oriented, points to MAN, reveres and worships MAN. Take that away and the 12 lose all power.

Most legitimate churches (using the term loosely) point people to Jesus Christ and God. They talk about Jesus Christ and God, they preach about Jesus Christ and God. They say, "Praise the Lord," or "Thank God" or other such statements, if they make any statement at all.

Not in the LDS church. They say, "I believe Joseph Smith is a true prophet," (which when you're a newbie I can't begin to tell you how weird that is..to hear that and I swore I would never say it and never did) or "I believe the church is true," (not that God or Jesus is true, but the Mormon church is true). or "I'm glad we have a prophet."

It is a man made, man centered organization pyramid style that has women on the bottom, and men going up from there topped by their so called prophet of all times. That is how they control everyone, Prophet on down through the pyramid. Take that away and the whole control structure crumbles. Like dominoes it would all crash down.

The LDS church worships MAN and the creature made by man, which is the LDS church. They worship themselves. Take away the priesthood and they have NOTHING. Share it with women and men lose control of the women and the higher ups lose control of everyone.

Just imagine people thinking for themselves because they all have the same access to the revelations, inspirations that the men claim to have. Just think of women being able to lay hands on people and praying for others! Just think of the chaos caused by women NOT having to rely on some dude to make decisions for them concerning their callings and such. It would rock the LDS world.

It doesn't matter about the stories of pioneer women praying for oxen or cows and healing them. It doesn't matter if your Patriarchal tells you that you as a woman can do miracles (which mine did), it doesn't matter. It is okay to be confused about your role and abilities and it is okay to have a PB that contradicts church doctrine....the more unsure you are and off balance, the better for the men because then they can explain it to you...a mere woman.

Nope, not gonna happen. The LDS church is a feudal society where the 12 and Monson are the royalty that sit on top, the priesthood of men are the vassals, all vying for the approval of the kings and the women are the peasants and work horses.

Date: April 04, 2013 08:22AM

When "Family Proclamation" came out, two groups of people were and have been doomed: LGBT people and women.

For LGBT people, it was a divine edict that they will not have a place in TSCC because they are UN-natural and thus. against God.

For women, it was also a divine edict that they will not hold priesthood because the only "-hood" they are divinely assigned is "motherhood" and if they cross the line, they are going against God.

Unless TSCC is willing to retract "Family Proclamation," neither of the two groups will have a place at the TSCC roundtable where the Big 15 A-holes discuss and decide how to rule TSCC.

P.S. I don't how many people are aware of this. But, last time I read, it was Howard W. Hunter who drafted "Family Proclamation." Of course, he was a lawyer and knew how to avoid loopholes in his wording. Bear in mind, his health was terrible in his last days, and he was able to draft that. Amazing how much strength a man could draw from his hunger for legacy, as well as power, security, and money for his family. And it's quite amazing as well how a quiet man -- at time seemingly reclusive -- was capable of such great damage.

Date: April 04, 2013 08:25AM

you're right. When did he die, was it in the 80's?

Date: April 04, 2013 08:56AM

In mid-to-late 90's.

And there were rumors that Hinkley were quite ruthless when Hunter was pretty much bedridden. But I don't have reliable sources to verify that.

Date: April 04, 2013 12:07PM

I believe it

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: April 04, 2013 11:38AM

Rarely do the big guys ever stick their necks out. And (as in this case), when they do it's really messed up stuff.

They drew a line in the sand. Now they have to live with it. As time goes on it will be difficult to adhere to, and also difficult to change from.

They lacked wisdom. Perhaps someday The Proclamation will be discarded as "it was part of those times." But not anytime soon.

Posted by: fudley ( )
Date: April 04, 2013 02:12PM

they don't have to retract anything or apologize.
Isn't that what modern revelation is for (loudly snickering)?

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: April 04, 2013 09:07AM

This is just too much of a threat to the power structure of the church. They can concede somewhat on social issues, but GAs giving woman a piece of the priesthood pie is like asking Mitt Romney to accept paying the same effective tax rate as his employees.

Posted by: rqt ( )
Date: April 04, 2013 10:17AM

I think this is the point, though. I don't know that anyone thinks that the geezers will give women the priesthood - BUT - in place they will have to make some concessions.

So the women are smart to ask for it all, even if they only get a little.

Baby steps.

Posted by: lovenlife ( )
Date: April 04, 2013 01:01PM

If you are a woman and you want to hold the priesthood you might as well go join another religion that allows woman to hold such a calling such as the priesthood. The lds whole doctrine is based upon the male having the so called POWER. If they changed this there would not be an lds faith. It will never change, it can't go back on its male dominance so called doctrine!! Those who speak out against this will be OUT of the lds faith. ITS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. The way the doctrine is written you won't see any temple weddings period between gays or lesbians. If you are one of these gay or lesbians why would you want to be married in one of there temples or even be a member of such a evil hard nosed faith.

Posted by: fudley ( )
Date: April 04, 2013 02:14PM

Community of Christ - you even get to keep the JS myths as stories....

Posted by: rqt ( )
Date: April 04, 2013 02:18PM

Thanks for putting "it's not going to happen" in caps. Now you've convinced me.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.