Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: notamobuthavea? ( )
Date: April 06, 2013 05:20PM

I am not a Mormon, but I am curious if there is a way to find out if one of your dead relatives has been dead dunked? If there is can you get them undunked?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: April 06, 2013 07:32PM

1. Yes, 'tho I am unsure how.

2. Not unless your relative was a Jew.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 06, 2013 07:35PM

AFAIK, a current church member needs to look it up for you. The information used to be accessable to all, but no more. Sometimes you can come across the information on Ancestry.com, but it's hit or miss, not an organized effort.

No, there is no method of undunking them. Sorry. :-(

Posted by: notamobuthavea? ( )
Date: April 07, 2013 06:42AM

Thank you for your answers. My brother-in-law was at one point married to a Mormon. They divorced after about 3 years and he received an annulment from the Catholic Church. So it made me wonder if during that time frame other relatives had become Mormon post-mortem.

Since it would require a current church member to look it up, Ill just drop it as I have zero desire to become a conversion project.

I wish you all well in your recoveries.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: April 06, 2013 09:46PM

I know my mother, after she converted and in her new found zeal, dead dunked all her deceased Presbytarian, Baptist and Catholic relatives....I doubt Dad would have done it on his own...

Ron Burr

Posted by: jl ( )
Date: April 07, 2013 07:17AM

I could be wrong, but I think you need to have an LDS Account to access FamilySearch.org.

I think the information you need is there once you access it. But if you have resigned, then your LDS Account is probably suspended or terminated.

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: April 07, 2013 11:22AM

I have occasionally found notations about LDS proxy work when searching for an ancestor at http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi

Generally, the information is available only to members, but you might try visiting an LDS genealogical center and asking them to look it up for you. To find one near you, look in the phone directory under "Church of JCOLDS" for "Family Research"

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 07, 2013 01:25PM

Personally, I'd be more interested in hanging around Brigham's grave then, to see if he made the cut.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: April 07, 2013 02:04PM

I approach the topic on the basis of it all being bull$hit anyway...and that if your dead relatives "spirit" (WTF that is?) actually exists in some alternate reality...the LDS church is as irrelevant there as it is on this orb.

Ron Burr

Posted by: omreven ( )
Date: April 07, 2013 02:58PM

Go here: https://familysearch.org/search/collection/igi

Type in your family member's name. If it's listed in the IGI, they've been dunked.

Posted by: srena nli ( )
Date: April 07, 2013 03:10PM

My numbnuts 2nd cousin's family, whichever one (s) did this, screwed it up! Of course. Even my grandma's name isn't quite right. Wrong birthdates, wrong deathdates, so even if it had some effect, its null & void. What is wrong with these dorks? Hahaha, obvious... Mormon dunderbutts.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 07, 2013 03:51PM

Same here. Sloppy geneology from people who don't care.

Posted by: Cathy ( )
Date: April 07, 2013 03:47PM

Deaddunking means nothing - it's an empty ceremony that has no effect on anyone or anything whatsoever. Don't give it any more credibility - it's useless and silly.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.