Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Observer ( )
Date: April 08, 2013 02:49PM

After watching the YW presidency being released and pondering about the limited role of women in tscc, I also wondered if there are any active groups, blogs, websites, created by women and questioning the 2nd level treatment received in the organization.
It makes me mad and it is disappointing to me, how women are treated in tscc, and I would like to read the opinion of women, maybe active members, regarding the gender differences in the organization.
I have a daughter and I would like to see her rise out of the church as she realizes all the wrongs in it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jezebel2mishies ( )
Date: April 08, 2013 03:01PM

http://www.feministmormonhousewives.org/

This is a good place to start. The commentators are mostly active members, who aren't afraid to call the Church leaders on their bluff. I LOVE their response to Dalton's talk.

Posted by: ambivalent exmo ( )
Date: April 08, 2013 08:49PM

Yep. Fmh. Good middle road/cog dis knife: helped me cut through the bs and see I wasn't alone in understanding that the penishood was irrelevant in the larger, saner world...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2013 08:51PM by ambivalent exmo.

Posted by: twojedis ( )
Date: April 08, 2013 03:02PM

There are a bunch of feminist groups on FB, and a very active movement. They were all over criticizing conference last weekend. Some of these women are exmo like me, some are on the fence and some are believers (to some extent). They are working together to fight the corporation. It's quite refreshing to talk to them because you don't have to be afraid of saying bad things about the church.

Posted by: ava ( )
Date: April 08, 2013 08:39PM

And the groups are certainly very active at the moment. Ordain women is one - you can search for it in a search engine. fmh is also good.

With that said, there are many who are skeptical of whether or not this will be successful. I strongly expect some excommunications soon. I wish that weren't the case, but that is the situation in the current hierarchy. For the record, I suspect the nuns on the bus will also be ex'd (in the Roman Catholic church).

I support the feminists, and I support their movement to gain status. I just don't think it will happen anytime soon. There is too much entrenchment, too many scriptures, too much history. How is 2013 different from 1993 or 1973 (whenever Sonja Johnson was ex'd)?

Mormonism remains because the members stay mormon, they keep paying, and they ignore the misogyny.

So some people work within the system, but many left and will continue to leave. The treatment of women, people of color and GLBT members are key reasons many people leave. Those pillars aren't changing anytime soon. Take a look at the 12 - everyone in leadership - even the executive secretary is male.

And it seems like it's <b>So Thrilling</b> that a woman prayed in conference.

Change is great, but if it takes forty years for a woman to pray - equality is going to be a long time. I'm not going to wait around, and I'm not going to raise my kids to believe that a woman's place is in the home, behind her man.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.