Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: GayLayAle ( )
Date: January 18, 2011 05:21PM

So, here in the state of Utah, polygamy is illegal. So, my question is, how is that kind of thing enforced? I mean, obviously if you're talking about crusty old men trying to marry and enter into sexual relations with underage girls, then it's pretty clear, but what if three consenting adults decide to have a relationship together? (I have a friend in such a situation- she's married, but also has a boyfriend and all three of them live together. The men don't have sex with each other but they both do with her.)

So when is it considered illegal and when is it not?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: January 18, 2011 05:23PM

a complaining victim. Of course Utah has a long history of ignoring the complaining victims too, so your friend would be fine even if she and boyfriend had actually pretended to marry each other.

Basically, as long as she calls him a boyfriend and doesn't claim they're married, she hasn't broken any enforceable laws I know of.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: January 18, 2011 05:23PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2011 05:24PM by Cheryl.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: January 18, 2011 05:37PM

about living together as spouses with multiple people.

Just living together as friends isn't covered. Nobody cares who you sleep with any more.

Posted by: mateo ( )
Date: January 18, 2011 05:39PM

Since the Short Creek raid in 1953, Utah (that is, the church) has not enforced its polygamy laws with any consistency:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_Creek_raid

The story isn't too different from the FLDS raid in TX. Arizona law enforcement went in and took almost everyone into custody. Some of the parents never regained custody of their children.

Initially TSCC applauded the raid, but it faced significant backlash over the issue. Since then it has refrained from actively supporting the prosecution of polygamists. Which, of course, means that the state of Utah has followed suit.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.