Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: angsty ( )
Date: January 18, 2011 07:38PM

So, I resigned five or so years ago, but every once in a while the liberation of it all hits me again and I get all excited. This is one of those moments.

In my life:

-I don't need an organization monitoring my underwear.

-I don't need unqualified, ignorant opinions on alcohol or sex.

-I don't need unqualified, ignorant opinions on what makes a good marriage or how to solve the problems I encounter in the course of my married life.

-I don't need to consider advice from persons of dubious authority before common sense-- and I am well-qualified to discern qualified authority and reject unqualified opinions.

-I can do whatever I damn well please on Sunday-- including real QUALITY family time.

-I can do whatever I damn well please on Monday night-- and not some prescribed indoctrination session masquerading as quality family time.

-I'll read and watch whatever suits my fancy. I'm a big girl, I can make those decisions.

-I'll write in a journal if I want to, and if I don't I won't. Obsessive journaling and scrapbooking about a pathetic life isn't going to make it any more significant. Plus all that time I used to spend laboring over such trivial matters can now be spent actually living. I'm no longer worried about the appearance of a life well-lived. I'm too busy actually living to bother with that.

-I don't need to be friends with everyone. Everyone doesn't have to like me. I don't need to bother with lights and bushels and being a city on a hill. People don't need my example. They're capable of figuring things out themselves. If they want to know what I do, they can ask. Otherwise, I'm not going to live my life as if everyone were watching all the time. That's exhausting and self-absorbed and weird.

-I don't need a template for living and decision-making. I don't need to follow a prescribed pattern. I can make my own plan based on my own needs and wants.

I could go on for days. I'm so happy that I'm no longer submitting to a system that doesn't benefit me. My life is so much better now.

Anyone else?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: January 18, 2011 07:49PM

Posted by: Gullibles Travels ( )
Date: January 18, 2011 07:53PM

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: January 18, 2011 07:53PM

Posted by: mav ( )
Date: January 18, 2011 07:54PM

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: January 18, 2011 08:53PM

You have reasons to celebrate and share as you have. Congrats and I am happy for you too.

Posted by: martinf ( )
Date: January 18, 2011 09:03PM

Congrats! Even though we disagree on the conceptualization of intelligent design ;)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.