Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: April 15, 2013 02:07PM

I think it is important for those of us who live in heavily Mormon areas, unless your unbelief is in the closet for personal reasons, to find ways to quietly advertise to everyone around you that you are not a Mormon. This could be as simple as having a cross or other religious symbol prominently displayed near your front door, or having a Darwin fish.

The point is to let Mormons know that there are a vast number of people around them in Utah, who are not Mormon, and who are proud of their beliefs. This is important for two reasons.

1st, it reminds them that they are not alone in the state, and that they can't be constantly stepping on everyone else's rights, though most of them are probably too dense to realize that is what it means, and more importantly,

2nd, that if they have doubts or don't believe, that they are not alone. As soon as those who are not TBM, realize that they are the silent majority in the state, the state will change.

We can call it the Non-Mormon Pride Movement, and we need to find ways to let people know that is who we are.

Hell, we may even need bumper stickers that blatantly say "Non-Mormons are citizens too," or "Not all of us want to be bossed around by fifteen old dudes."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2013 02:08PM by forbiddencokedrinker.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: beansandbrews ( )
Date: April 15, 2013 02:12PM

Working in your yard on Sunday is a big way to advertise.

Date: April 15, 2013 02:15PM

Good point. I don't live in Utah. I know this can be scary for some people, but the Mormons in that state need to learn that they don't have a monopoly on what goes on. Furthermore, then elected officials need to be reminded, constantly, that they represent the people, not Church Inc.

Posted by: liminal state ( )
Date: April 15, 2013 06:44PM

"I know this can be scary for some people"

You make it sound like there's a Mormon gestapo running around.

The mind-bent behavior of some of these Mormon people is ridiculous. To make people afraid in the first place.

Posted by: JamesM ( )
Date: April 15, 2013 04:09PM

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: April 15, 2013 04:36PM

Tank tops are for swusies. A neon mankini is the true apostate outerwear.

Posted by: pathdocmd ( )
Date: April 15, 2013 04:52PM

I agree.

Work in your front yard with your shirt off (if a man) on Sunday drinking a beer. I have personally seen this work.

Also, the Darwin "fish with feet" bumper sticker is sure to keep them away. They don't know where to even begin with stuff like that.

Date: April 15, 2013 05:03PM

May I add bikini tops for the girls. I would rather see that then mankinis.

Posted by: badseed ( )
Date: April 15, 2013 06:14PM

and then you don't need to have any talks. It's the show don't tell model.

Posted by: Viva La ChaCha ( )
Date: April 15, 2013 02:15PM

The flip side of such an visual announcement is that it puts you dead center of their conversion target...

Not disagreeing that letting Mormons know that there is diversity around is a good thing..

Date: April 15, 2013 02:20PM

You can't live in fear though of them though. As long as you live in fear, they control you.

So they try to convert you once in a while, big deal. Shut them down, and let them know what you know about their church when they do. Look at it as an opportunity to plant seeds. Pretty soon they will learn what Mormons outside of Utah know, if non-Mormons wanted to be Mormon, they would go knock on the missionaries door, not the other way around.

You have to react to them on your own terms, in order to not be constantly forced to react to them on their own.

Posted by: jiminycricket ( )
Date: April 15, 2013 02:17PM

In the cold months just make a Mr. and Mrs. Snowman in the front yard, decked out in sacred attire. And, be sure to turn on security cameras so you can prosecute the "perp" and sue the heck out of him for whatever reason will stick. Is that non-confrontational?

Date: April 15, 2013 02:21PM

It would be funny, but I am not sure about the law suit, because you would have exactly zero damages when they knocked down your snowmen.

Posted by: Steven ( )
Date: April 15, 2013 10:02PM

Would make a funny Youtube video :)

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: April 15, 2013 02:18PM

When I lived in Utah and people (strangers or people I was just getting to know) referred to the Church, I would ask which Church do you mean. Unless it was obvious. I think now even a reference to Joseph Smith or the BofM could be a teaching moment. If challenged the response could be I understand the reformed LDS very much believe in the Joseph Smith story and the BofM.

Great idea to discuss--I hope people will share what is working for them in Utah and The Moridor.

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: April 15, 2013 02:22PM

Mormons is Utah pretty much divide people in two categories:

1) Active members of THEIR ward.

2) Everyone else.

If you aren't in group 1, they don't much care what you are.

Ironically active Utah Mormons are very, very aware of who in their ward boundaries are active, who are inactive, and who are non-members. Even 2 years later I could probably tell you with 80-90% accuracy the status of every house in our ward.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2013 02:23PM by The Oncoming Storm - bc.

Date: April 15, 2013 02:23PM

Good, then the end result of this will be that the Mormons will end up the ones who are shunned and cut off from the rest of the world. Kind of will serve them right for trying to do that to everyone else, don't you think?

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: April 15, 2013 02:28PM

Yeppers.

I've often thought it would be cool if exmos had some kind of sign:

You know like born agains have the fish

And Mormons have white hanging 2 inches out of their shorts

Maybe a smiley face tattoo?

Posted by: NeverMo in CA ( )
Date: April 15, 2013 03:32PM

The Oncoming Storm - bc Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yeppers.
>
> I've often thought it would be cool if exmos had
> some kind of sign:
>
> You know like born agains have the fish
>
> And Mormons have white hanging 2 inches out of
> their shorts
>
> Maybe a smiley face tattoo?

Maybe a coffee cup symbol? But I guess it would be difficult to distinguish from a cup of hot chocolate...

Posted by: Richard the Bad ( )
Date: April 15, 2013 05:14PM

I vote for the Angel Moroni wearing raybans and blowing a sax.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: April 15, 2013 02:28PM

When I still lived in Utah, after I resigned from the cult, I moved to a new apartment building, from Provo to Orem, and I just told people I was not a Mormon. That was the truth. I was not and I had an official letter to prove it. But I didn't feel any obligation to go into the past, just to bluntly state the truth that I was not a mormon.

One old guy came around a couple weeks after I moved in and asked if they could take my picture and put my name and address on a "community" directory. I was like, "what kind of community directory?" He said it was just to let people know who their neighbors were and it only encompassed our apartment complex and several neighboring blocks of houses (i.e., the ward directory). I told them I was not mormon and had no interest in having my name on any mormon list. He kept trying to convince me that other non-mormons were on there and it was because they liked being able to be helpful to their neighbors and a bunch of other B.S. Oh, he also let me know that I'd get a copy so I'd know who my neighbors were in case I needed help, I'd have their phone numbers and know who to call. It was all I could do to keep from laughing or to keep from telling him I was an exmo so to STFU because I get it.

I finally told him that I attend a non-mormon church (I had started attending the UU church) and that I have lots of non-mormon friends (the UV exmos) and they are who I would call if I needed help, but thanked him for the thought. I know it was killing them because they couldn't stand not knowing the name of every single person who lived in their ward boundaries. Come to find out there were a set of missionaries who lived in the same complex (it was a community of 4-plexes). They came over a couple of times and I just said, "I have no interest in your church and don't want to hear any of your lessons and will never be joining, but I'd love to have someone explain to me about the magic underwear and Joseph Smith's polygamy and a bunch of other questions I have. Feel free to come over any time you'd like to have a good discussion. After 2 times, I never had another set of mishies knock on my door. I think they had notes of who in the complex to steer clear of.

Posted by: fudley ( )
Date: April 15, 2013 02:32PM

The best way to plant cog-dis is to show that we have happy and fulfilling lives. THE most troubling aspect of TSCC is their perceived monopoly on happiness. It is their primary, pun intended, fraud.

Date: April 15, 2013 09:12PM

Exactly, but the problem with Mormons is they see a happy person, and assume they must either be a Mormon, or they are golden for missionary discussions.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: April 15, 2013 02:33PM

Invite black people into your home.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: April 15, 2013 02:35PM

Amazing how they've quit love bombing us. I know the new neighbors saw my ex and I as a project . . . no longer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2013 02:35PM by cl2.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: April 15, 2013 02:38PM

You could say you're jewish, and then slip in something about that unpleasant episode of them "trying to baptize my relatives that were in the Holocaust"; as they stumble for something to say, tell 'em that if they don't talk church with you, you won't bring up *that* with them....

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: April 15, 2013 03:03PM

that pretty much tells EVERYONE that drives by on a holiday that you aren't Mormon.

Another thing to do is wear non-garment ready clothes: sleeveless blouses, shorts that are just a few inches above the knee, and such. But I actually don't feel comfortable wearing those types of clothes, after years of dressing "mo". But I realize that if more people did that, it would dilute the Utah Valley Mormon effect.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: April 15, 2013 03:45PM

This is why I am relentlessly nice, relaxed and happy with every Mormon I know. I act like nothing has changed and they have a surprisingly hard time dealing with that. They expect me to be an angry exmo or to fall into perdition. But I'm the same person I was before and I refuse to be ashamed or acknowledge the shunning. Granted, sometimes I'll have no time or interest in dealing with Mormons but in those cases, I beat them to the punch and ignore them first. If that bothers them and they say hi to me, I go back to same-ol friendliness. I think they are puzzled that I don't seem the slightest bit upset I don't hang out with them any more and am not at all sorry to lose their friendship. I know some act uncomfortable talking to the exmo (weird, huh?) but I pretend like I don't notice and they usually warm up. If they warm up too much, I just as contentedly am not interested in their advances. In getting me to return to Mormonism that is. My husband is doing well financially and we have money for extras now so we look like we are prospering. My kids are still honors students with lots of friends. I'm a lot of reality for them to handle and I'm quite open about it, no shame, no feeling left out, not uncomfortable.

In other words, I'm providing them the same service that my nevermo dad provided me. I'm showing them a perfectly good life can be lived outside Mormonism. I may not convince a single one but at least their little minds are going around in circles trying to come up with thought-stoppers to deal with this infringement on their reality. The sheer fact that I don't feel at all bad about leaving Mormonism and that I make that clear is probably the most important thing all exmos can do. Don't let them see you sweat - let them see you shine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2013 03:46PM by CA girl.

Posted by: anon4thispost ( )
Date: April 15, 2013 03:57PM

We've conducted some of our Sabbat rituals in the yard (low-key ones -- no drumming or big bonfires). I wear a pentacle necklace. At one point I had a lovely broom over the top of the front door frame and a pentacle windchime. I had a "Coexist" bumper sticker on my car for a long time (now have a different car and haven't gotten around to decorating it) and a bumper sticker that made reference to "Magic."

VTs stopped showing up when I said, "Sure, you're welcome to stop by anytime. It's not a problem that I'm a pagan, is it?"

Mishies came to the door one evening while I was cooking dinner and I told them about some of my beliefs. They didn't have much to say and fled before I could invite them to eat with us. They haven't returned -- and that was probably four years ago.

I haven't been anywhere near a church in a long time, but I would guess they've spread the word amongst themselves. I definitely didn't put up a sign or go around introducing myself as "the Witch down the block."

None of the neighbors lovebomb us, either, despite the fact we live in a small Morridor town.

Posted by: jiminycricket ( )
Date: April 15, 2013 04:01PM

There's a nifty looking graphic of the word "cult" with an "angel moroni" on top and designed in a way so that the word cult resembles and LDS temple. Display where/when appropriate. Clever design.

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/6025/1362/1600/041231nluc_cult.1.jpg

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: April 15, 2013 05:26PM

"I think it is important for those of us who live in heavily Mormon areas, unless your unbelief is in the closet for personal reasons, to find ways to quietly advertise to everyone around you that you are not a Mormon. This could be as simple as having a cross or other religious symbol prominently displayed near your front door, or having a Darwin fish."

Drinking beer in the front yard is a sure-fire giveaway as is the following:
Having a big BBQ on Sunday, with booze involved.
Doing yardwork in shorts and a tank top for guys or bikini top for girls.
Standing outside in the above mentioned outfit while the TBM Sunday crowd drives by.

I'm sure there are more example. Free free to add your own..

Posted by: eldorado ( )
Date: April 15, 2013 05:34PM

DH was very upfront about it when we moved into our area, are very lucky that we have a pretty open minded an loving street. We have had only 3 sets of missionaries, the last set was scared off by my MOM(funny thing found out she was looking into the church big time when we were growing up. Thank God it was one of the very few times my Dad did not do what she wanted, crazy childhood would have been crazier) It might also be why my Dad takes great pleasure in sitting on our front porch with a beer when they visit. He is so happy sitting in his chair with his beer waving at everyone that comes by.

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: April 15, 2013 05:46PM

I've never been questioned about it. Honestly it doesn't happen that often in the Salt Lake Valley.

There are plenty of Mormons who live around me and they couldn't care less about me or my home. In fact, I almost wish they did because it might be interesting to talk to my neighbors every once in a while.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: April 15, 2013 05:47PM

I would also say that wearing clothing that couldn't be worn with garments would show one isn't Mormon, as would be having a big BBQ on Fast Sunday. Better yet, if the 4th of July falls on a Sunday and fireworks are allowed in your city, shoot off your fireworks on the 4th itself.

Posted by: sistersalamander ( )
Date: April 15, 2013 07:38PM

Celebrating any kind of holiday (other than maybe Christmas and Easter) on a Sunday would be a major statement to the neighbors.

Posted by: utchick33 ( )
Date: April 15, 2013 08:52PM

haha, I usually make a comment about how I really enjoyed my coffee (I'm in Utah and I teach so sometimes the kids are shocked but oh well). Once I posted that I wanted a mocha and to go shopping on a Sunday, and my stupid MO brother posted a link to conference. I basically told him to shove it, that I wasn't doing anything wrong. I wanted to say more, but you know, he wouldn't get it anyhow. The wrong ones usually don't b/c they are so brainwashed.

Posted by: Infinite Dreams ( )
Date: April 15, 2013 08:55PM

Posted by: New to Utah ( )
Date: April 15, 2013 09:07PM

I moved to my house in Utah (Davis county) about a year ago. Within 2 days two men, older middle age, came by to introduce themselves. They asked if I was LDS, and I said no, I was active in a Christian church. They asked some probing questions, and I was happy to answer because I knew the answers would keep them away! I was very upfront with them and the neighbor who brought me a cake and asked if I was LDS. I haven't seen her again since that first meeting! My church meets pretty late on Sunday mornings, and I frequently sit on my porch, drinking coffee, and wave at the young families walking to church. Most of my neighbors are very friendly; a few aren't. Doesn't seem that different from where I used to live, well outside of the Morridor.

Posted by: politicaljunkie ( )
Date: April 15, 2013 10:25PM

Go to YouTube and type "Door to Door Atheists bother Mormons"

The Australian comedy show "Chasers War on Everyhing" did a pretty funny segment a while back.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.