Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: April 15, 2013 03:32PM

Talk about micro-management. TBM DW who is in the stake RS presidency took an odd call from some woman. I asked about it afterward, and she said,

"Yeah, now we have to run the names of anyone saying a prayer in church by the stake president."

"That's a real bad case of micro-management, don't you think?" I asked.

"No. I don't think so. You have to be careful about people's worthiness," she said.

"What? Really? Whether they're 'worthy' to give a prayer? People are no longer 'worthy' to pray before Almighty Mormon God?" I guess a bit of snark sneaked in there. I made a mental not to kick myself.

I finished by pointing out that this is definitely NOT in the handbook. I also reminded her that we used to give callings and extend fellowship to EVERYone, "worthy" or no.

"We still give callings to unworthy people!" When I asked what, she couldn't think of specifics, of course. And it grates so much to hear that phrase, "unworthy people." God, I hate Mormonism more and more.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cynthia ( )
Date: April 15, 2013 03:42PM

Handbook?....I don't need no stinking handbook. A little authority goes a long way and he better use it while he can, callings aren't forever.

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: April 15, 2013 03:44PM

Yeah because god only wants people who are worthy enough praying to him - eyeroll

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: April 15, 2013 03:46PM

It is examples like this that show people as either comfortable in a cult or not comfortable.

There is no doctrinal Christian reason to obey that requirement other than the doctrine of Mormon obedience.

Posted by: ConcernedCitizen ( )
Date: April 15, 2013 03:48PM

...before long, any and everything spoken in Church, even by the Bishop, will need to be vetted by Scott Trotter.

Posted by: pewsitter ( )
Date: April 15, 2013 03:49PM

Maybe the SP is being sensitive to all the people he has exed, disfellowshiped or put on probation.

The "list" I find insulting is the one where an Elder that attends HP cannot be invited to a HP party until the Bishop first approves of that person attending.

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: April 15, 2013 03:56PM

I got called twice and was asked to say a prayer in Sunday School - after I had my final resignation letter from SLC, lol.

Posted by: icedlatte ( )
Date: April 16, 2013 01:12PM

I got a call to substitute for a primary class a few weeks after we resigned :) If I were more ballsy, I would have gone and taught the kids all about the seer stone in the hat.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: April 15, 2013 03:50PM

Worthy is a judgment call, pure and simple. There is absolutely no excuse for people who claim to follow Jesus to go around deciding on the worthiness of other human beings. Especially on a micro-management level like this. Whatever happened to "Judgment is mine, sayeth the Lord?" Seriously, the obsession Mormons have with judging everyone and everything as worthy or unworthy is one of the strongest condemnations of the whole Mormon system there is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2013 03:51PM by CA girl.

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: April 15, 2013 04:01PM

I know no reference or requirement by Christ of worthiness to pray. It's been a long time, but maybe they draw nigh unto me with their word, but their hearts are far from me, but this. Think was in reference to Pharisees and Saducees. Modern Mormons, obsessed with a checklist of righteousness. No founding in Christianity.

This is purely a fabrication of man, an evil, authoritarian man.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: April 15, 2013 04:12PM

is if you had been Ex'ed, disfellowshipped or on Probation.

If this SP has that many people unable to pray due to disciplinary issues, he is clearly not doing his job as shepherd. One might even wonder if he is setting a good example for his membership to follow.

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: April 15, 2013 04:20PM

Mormons are both WORTHY and UNWORTHY.

If the SP asks them if they're worthy to go to the temple, they'll likely say, "Yes."

If you ask them if they're worthy to enter the CK, they'll likely say, "No."

So where is the "worthiness" line drawn? Wherever the SP wants it, I suppose.

Sooooo glad I'm not going through all that anymore!

Posted by: raisingspecialneeds ( )
Date: April 15, 2013 04:34PM

Next time, just tell her Jesus ate with people like you not her. Jesus detested others deciding who was worthy and who wasn't.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: April 15, 2013 06:22PM

+10000

Posted by: freckles ( )
Date: April 15, 2013 04:35PM

unworthy to pray??? I've heard some crazy stuff but that's pretty crazy. oh, no no no, you can't pray, you have a problem with (insert some sin here) alcohol, sex, drugs,tithing. I don't care what you have done, you can still pray anywhere, anytime. That person's prayer might actually be more sincere than the robotic stuff you normally have to listen to.

Posted by: AngelCowgirl ( )
Date: April 15, 2013 05:12PM

But you can bet your sweet patootie that they are worthy to pay tithing and clean toilets...

Posted by: Dallin A. Chokes ( )
Date: April 15, 2013 05:18PM

Nothing like a little public shaming to keep the people where they ought to be. And, in the case of someone who doesn't need to be shamed, this at least reminds them of who's boss...

(Really, why would this be a deterrent? If I get exed for doing something I might consider fun--let's say fornication--then I don't have to pray in church again? Where do I sign up?)

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: April 15, 2013 05:20PM

My guess is the stake president is concerned that exmormons will try to weasel into the program!
It's all about keeping the "rif-raf" out! :-)

Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: April 15, 2013 06:16PM

there must be a lot masturbators in that stake. I guess people were confessing everytime they wiped their Ass on the toilet. OOps!!!! no prayer for you!!!!

Just tell all of the masturbators in the stake to wash their hands afterwards and they will be worthy again!!!! problem solved. (being sarcastic)

Posted by: pewsitter ( )
Date: April 15, 2013 06:27PM

Perhaps the SP is just trying to save band width on TSCC's one and true prayer network to the alien god(s) on Kolob. There must be hidden microphones in the buildings that send prayers straight to SLC and then on to Kolob.

More likely the SP is a control freak.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 15, 2013 06:31PM

? why don't MORE control measures surprise me anymore in Morland? gee, I wonder.

Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: April 15, 2013 08:35PM

The kids have to be found worthy to attend the ward dance these days...

Startin to sound like one of those 'cults' to me..............

Posted by: Infinite Dreams ( )
Date: April 15, 2013 08:43PM

I had to be interviewed to be found worthy to have a dance card. So, it's definitely not a new thing.

Posted by: strappy1 ( )
Date: April 15, 2013 09:35PM

Infinite Dreams Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I had to be interviewed to be found worthy to have
> a dance card. So, it's definitely not a new thing.

Dance card! that's a new one, is that like buying a, elevator pass in high school?

Posted by: destiny ( )
Date: April 15, 2013 09:18PM

I wonder if those on a high council court who judge others have to be worthy themselves.

Posted by: sparty ( )
Date: April 15, 2013 09:29PM

The more Mormonism tries to go mainstream and impress the world with their grandure, the farther they get from Jesus' teachings in The NT. Spiritual hillbillies...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2013 09:34PM by sparty.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: April 15, 2013 09:49PM

I would like to see some of our peoples screen names offering the prayer.

It would take some of the boredom out of the meetings.

Posted by: Think man ( )
Date: April 15, 2013 11:30PM

When my best friend was excommunicated for adultery, his wife, who was a stay at home mom and still very active was reassured that if she paid tithing (from her adulterous husband's paycheck) then she and her children would be blessed and she would be worthy to retain her temple recommend.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: April 16, 2013 09:18AM

Ah, money. It works every time. Money will save our souls, make things straight with God.

Suck it, poor people!

Posted by: charles, not logged in ( )
Date: April 16, 2013 10:29AM

Pfft! SP's just pullin' rank and yanking everyone's chain. It would be great to say 'let them (TBMs) suffer, but this is your wife we're talking about.

Posted by: mia ( )
Date: April 16, 2013 10:48AM

I would sweetly smile at him and say : You know mr. sp. Maybe you're right. I think I need to spend more time praying for you to soften your heart and learn more about the true ways of your savior. In fact, I think i'll ask all my friends in the ward to do the same. You're obviously struggling and need our prayers. Apparently only having the super righteous pray for you isn't working out too well. I have to go now, let me know if there's any thing specific our little prayer group can pray for you. Bye now.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: April 16, 2013 11:19AM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.