Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Darkfem ( )
Date: April 15, 2013 10:37PM

Does anybody have any information about this book and why it seems to be impossible to find at a reasonable price?

I have been trying to track down a copy for weeks. No luck, even using my university's network of libraries.

Any ideas?

Here's the amazon link, FYI:

http://www.amazon.com/Deconstructing-Mormonism-Analysis-Assessment-Mormon/dp/1578840074/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1366079521&sr=1-1&keywords=Thomas+riskas

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GetTheLedZepOut ( )
Date: April 15, 2013 10:42PM

Wow, makes me wish I had some copies socked away! Never heard about it but Im certainly curious now!

Posted by: swiper ( )
Date: April 15, 2013 10:42PM

It's out of print and only a handful third party sources (scalpers) has the few copies currently for sale.

Date: April 15, 2013 10:48PM

...so it must have been a small run for the press.

I wonder if they'll be printing more?

I can't even find an ebook version. Sigh.

Posted by: loislane ( )
Date: April 16, 2013 07:35AM

I believe it is only temporarily out of print.

Powell's Bookseller site says they will have it soon for $30.00.

IN THE MEANTIME....

Go to your local library, ask for an Interlibrary Loan Form, and they will find you the book and you can check it out and read it.

Lois.

Date: April 16, 2013 11:43AM

Thanks, Lois. Yes, I have tried this route. WorldCat indicates that there are only 11 libraries worldwide that own the item. I have placed an order with my university library. I'm in a queue and *may* get a copy before the next run from the press.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: April 15, 2013 10:45PM

He went from being an uber-devout, home-version-of-the-temple-altar-praying believer (seriously, he had one in his bedroom that he built himself and which he used while dressed in his temple clothes), to a no-holds-barred critic of his former faith who not only completely exited the Mormon orbit but left its galaxy at full throttle.

Tom also had a rather nasty business-partnership breakup with Mormon motivational speaker and author, Stephen R. Covey. I also remember how Tom once got up in our fast-and-testimony sacrament meeting and corrected my personal comments to him, declaring that, in his opinion, little children could, in fact, know by the spirit of God that Joseph Smith was a true prophet. My, how times change. :)

A marshal arts expert who converted to Mormonism and who at one point was quite drawn to General Authority B.H. Roberts' teachings on Mormon doctrines of deity, Tom eventually got divorced from his wife Annette, moved to Las Vegas, called me from there once swearing like a sailor on steroids about Mormonism and then used his keen critical thinking skills to write a book tearing it limb from limb.

I don't know why Tom's book is selling for around a half-a-grand.

I'm sure it's good but maybe the price tag is a Reformed Egyptian typo.

Edited 25 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2013 02:30AM by steve benson.

Date: April 15, 2013 11:10PM

Here's an interview with him from 2011. If you can be patient with the host's initial fumbling, it's pretty good.

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/thinkatheist/2011/10/17/episode-30-mr-thomas-riskas-oct-16-2011

Date: April 15, 2013 11:32PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2013 11:44PM by steve benson.

Posted by: loislane ( )
Date: April 16, 2013 05:32PM

****I don't know why Tom's book is selling for around a half-a-grand.****

Just because it is listing for half a grand doesn't mean it is selling for half a grand.

I know a thing or two about selling books on Amazon.

I expect a lot of people have decided they can wait for the new printing.

Date: April 16, 2013 05:47PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2013 05:47PM by steve benson.

Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: April 15, 2013 10:52PM

Powell's used books lists it as "backordered" at a price of $29.95.

Not sure if they just don't have the word it is out of print, or if they know something the rest of us don't about a reprint.

You can add it to a shopping cart as a "pre-order" at that price.

www.powells.com

Date: April 15, 2013 11:08PM

Thanks, left4good. I saw that and called Powell's last week. They don't have a release date for another run yet. I guess that's the problem.

Posted by: mia ( )
Date: April 15, 2013 11:27PM

The reviews are interesting. Kerry Shirts seems impressed.

Posted by: Dent ( )
Date: April 17, 2013 01:26PM

At least that is what I got out of reading his review. The Riskas book is the one book he couldn't have a counter argument against. It will be interesting to see Shirt's journey now.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: April 15, 2013 11:37PM

This is, IIRC, the book that blew TSCC out of the water for Kerry Shirts, so the Backyard Perfesser is now a chess guru....

Posted by: ironmann ( )
Date: April 15, 2013 11:57PM

I ordered my copy about a month ago and am about half way through it. It's a very difficult and deep read. But he destroys mormon doctrine line upon line showing how the doctrine makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. I really like it.

I know Tom personally as well and was very interested how he went from uber-devout TBM to atheist.

Date: April 16, 2013 01:44AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2013 01:44AM by steve benson.

Posted by: spanner ( )
Date: April 16, 2013 12:14AM

After the book got reviewed by Kerry Shirts (Youtube's back yard professor/Book of Abraham apologist/general mopologist), and he credited it with his deconversion, it got popular. It will probably come down in price once they do another print run

Date: April 16, 2013 01:44AM

Posted by: Holy the Ghost ( )
Date: April 16, 2013 04:17PM

For serious? I haven't seen any mention of this.

Posted by: Carol Y. ( )
Date: April 16, 2013 02:09AM

Posted by: dogeatdog ( )
Date: April 16, 2013 02:12AM

That's interesting. I bought the book from Amazon when I first saw it mentioned on RFM. I think I paid around $35-40 for it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2013 02:13AM by dogeatdog.

Date: April 16, 2013 02:24AM

That's Econ 101, which I took at BYU from Larry Wimmer, so it must be true. :)

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2013 02:33AM by steve benson.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: April 16, 2013 08:39AM

I always thought the Raptor's problem was that he never released his book in a tangible, buy up and burn all the copies and burn them, edition first.

Posted by: starkravingmad ( )
Date: April 16, 2013 09:50AM

I've been wanting to read this book for months and have tried to find a reasonably priced copy. I contacted the publisher and they will be printing again this summer. Published by "American Atheists Press".

Date: April 16, 2013 11:14AM

I had a "DUH" moment last night and planned on calling the press this morning. Thanks for sharing the info.

Posted by: 4ofusfamily ( )
Date: April 16, 2013 12:03PM

I went to my local bookstore Hoooked on Books (they've done good searches for me in the past) and asked them to track it down. It took them about 3 months and I finally got my copy 2 weeks ago. It cost $59 + tax and it was money well spent. I'm barely past the introduction because I'm reading it very slowly and thoroughly to digest it. What a tremendous work it is. Wonderfully well researched and documented. And tough concepts are elucidated and examined. It's already helped me identify some of the reasons why I've had skewed thoughts about myself for so many years. It's no sit-down-with-a-book-for-10-min-before-bed sort of read, but wow, is it ever an important and intense read!

Posted by: DeAnn ( )
Date: April 16, 2013 12:29PM

Thanks for the information. I am now on the wait-list at Powell's for this book.

Posted by: AngelCowgirl ( )
Date: April 16, 2013 04:35PM

Powell's is probably wondering why they got 50 new orders for this book today, lol

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: April 16, 2013 04:37PM

somehow, somewhere, this book is sitting in an innocent thrift store marked down to .40 just WAITING to be purchased. Have you checked Montana or Wyoming?

Posted by: spanner ( )
Date: April 16, 2013 05:27PM

Hopefully it will come out as an ebook. It would seem crazy not too. Everyone wants to see what the fuss is about!

Posted by: crom ( )
Date: April 16, 2013 06:16PM

worldcat.org shows only 3 copies in libraries in the U.S.

http://www.worldcat.org/title/deconstructing-mormonism-an-analysis-and-assessment-of-the-mormon-faith/oclc/666406342

Maybe if you tell them what library to get it from on interlibrary loan that will help?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2013 06:16PM by crom.

Posted by: tomriskas ( )
Date: April 17, 2013 12:58PM

Google sent me the link to this blog and I read it with interest, appreciation and a smile...particularly when reading Steve's comments. You know me too well Steve ;)

Regarding your comments about the book's availability, I contacted my publisher and he confirmed that the book is sold out and they are in the process of going into a second printing. (Hope the church didn't buy them all Steve, although that would be a significant compliment of sorts, I suppose.)

The publisher gives its authors a generous supply of books at no charge, so I am willing to send a personalized copy of my book with my compliments to any of you who would like a copy. I will need to charge for shipping and handling, but that will be the only charge. Have to go to the USPS to get the rate. Whomever is interested please feel free to contact me at tjriskas@yahoo.com.

I've been pleased at the reviews of my book on Amazon, esp Kerry Shirts' review. A couple more have been added recently; one in particular from a "Jim S" that I was quite impressed with.

Finally, knowing my book is long and hard to read in places, if there are questions about its content, please feel free to ask. I welcome all questions and feedback.

Thanks to all for your interest and encouraging words. I hope this work makes a difference. It took four years to write and my only hope was that it would reach at least one person and make room for their real doubt to surface.

Posted by: AngelCowgirl ( )
Date: April 17, 2013 01:11PM

Email on the way... I'm pretty sure I just wet myself in excitement, lol.

Date: April 17, 2013 01:26PM

. . . exmolight@gmail.com

Tell them who you are and they'll give you my contact info.

Congrats, btw, on deconverting that Mountain-of-Mormonism Kerry Shirts. (So much for those "everlasting hills," eh?) That was an astounding review he gave to your book. I have to admit, your book sounds much more interesting than the ward mission materials we used back in the day. :) (I need to get a copy of your masterpiece).

God-less America, as they say.

Hope to make contact soon.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2013 01:29PM by steve benson.

Posted by: wowbagger ( )
Date: April 17, 2013 01:30PM

ditto angelcowgirl

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.