Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: jl ( )
Date: April 16, 2013 10:14AM

I didn't watch "Matrix" when it first came out.....because my Bishop told said it was R-rated and so it was a Satanic movie.

I really didn't watch it until years later when I became a NOM.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: AngelCowgirl ( )
Date: April 16, 2013 10:26AM

I did the exact same thing. Saw it for the very first time last year and couldn't figure out why it got an R-rating in the first place.

Posted by: utahstateagnostics ( )
Date: April 16, 2013 10:35AM

I'm somewhat of a movie buff (but by no means an expert), and have learned some stuff about how Hollywood really works.

Sometimes producers WANT an R rating so that it seems like the movie will include "better" content. I remember back in the mid to late '80s when I was a kid if a warning got put onto a TV show to use parental discretion, I knew it was going to be something good that I wasn't "supposed" to watch. An R rating can have the same effect.

While there are many things that can earn a movie an R rating (violence, language, sex, drugs, etc.), one thing is the "bullet count."

But if you really want to learn about how those movies get their ratings, watch "This Film is Not Yet Rated." It's a documentary about the MPAA board members and how they rate things arbitrarily.

Posted by: cwpenrose ( )
Date: April 16, 2013 10:27AM

I watched Midnight cowboy when it was rated "X." WTF - I was also VERY TMB - tee hee.

Carol

Posted by: Bite Me ( )
Date: April 16, 2013 10:28AM

Yeah, your bishop is a BPM... Blue Pill Member. He was afraid you'd run out and take the red one.

Posted by: charles, not logged in ( )
Date: April 16, 2013 10:32AM

I'm trying not to laugh, I promise. As a member of the Matrix cult I do have to wonder about your bishop. Did 'HE' watch the movie and then tell everyone else not to watch it? What give? Weird. Was still in the church, but questioning, when I watched it twice. Didn't hear no stinkin' warning like that from anyone in the cult.

Posted by: jl ( )
Date: April 16, 2013 10:42AM

It was rated R for violence.

At the time, I really, really wanted to watch it.

Next thing I knew, the Bish, plus EQ pres and HP group leader, were all giving talks on the following Sunday - back to back - about how Satan has tried to lure the elect away in last days with all the filthy movies and ungodly music. Urgggggghhhhhhh. So, I had to give up and be a "good boy."

Posted by: weepingwillow ( )
Date: April 16, 2013 10:45AM

I took the red pill.

Posted by: twojedis ( )
Date: April 16, 2013 11:26AM

I didn't watch R movies for 15 years. I have a lot of catching up to do.

Posted by: freund ( )
Date: April 16, 2013 10:38PM

Fer reelz! Our instant stream queue is filling up fast!

DW finally got to see Schindler's List. One R-rated watched, about 1000 to go!

Posted by: Mr. Neutron ( )
Date: April 16, 2013 11:32AM

I watched plenty of R-rated movies but always felt guilty about it. I would rationalize, but there was always a counter-argument in my head. Boy, am I glad that's gone. Now I'm free to wonder what members in Europe, Japan, Australia, New Zealand, Africa, Russia, Canada, Mexico, and Central and South America are supposed to do, and why that never occurred to me during my desperate rationalization sessions on Sunday.

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: April 16, 2013 11:01PM

The US gives movies with sex and nudity higher ratings than in Aussie, NZ, Europe, but Americans don't think violence is as big a deal as we do.

Posted by: The Matrix ( )
Date: April 16, 2013 10:48PM

I picked my screen name because I think the movie is a perfect comparison to the church and those that are plugged in and in-plugged

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: April 16, 2013 11:05PM

Once in awhile a PG-13 movie will come up and I'll wonder whether or not my daughter should see it. If it's super violent I don't let her. But otherwise, most r-rated and pg-13 aren't that bad. She doesn't need to see an orgy happening, but if it's just swearing I don't really mind because I know her nevermo dad has shown her much much worse.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2013 11:06PM by Tupperwhere.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 16, 2013 11:13PM

I took my twelve year old son to "Starship Troopers" when it came out. I remember cringing in the theater when troopers were ripped apart and had their brains sucked out while alive. I told my Mormon sister that I regretted taking my boy to that movie, and she said, "Yeah, it showed bare breasts."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.