Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: April 16, 2013 07:34PM

I was at Phoenix's Sky Harbor airport recently, waiting for a Delta Airlines flight (which happens to be an airline regularly used to shuttle Mormon GAs around domestically; my grandfather used it when he was Mormon Church prez and came down to Arizona for the inauguration of eventually-impeached and -convicted LDS governor Ev Mecham).

Sitting directly across from me in the gate area, a few feet away and waiting for the same flight, was "Apostle" Russell M. Nelson. I thought it was him (so confirmed a few moments later, as will be explained).

Nelson was dressed as Mormon GAs typically dress--like a mortician. He was wearing a dark blue suit and a starched white shirt with large cuffs sticking out of its sleeves which were festooned with big, round links. He looked old, gray, small and rather grim.

As I watched him, he pulled out a small notebook (not the large Franklin Planner type so popular with many Mormons but, rather, a tiny one with little white pages). He bent over the notebook and began tightly writing in it as he held it in his lap.

At that point, a large woman walked across the waiting area and up to Nelson, bringing along with her a young girl who looked to be about 9 or 10 years old. Nelson glanced up from writing in his little notebook, whereupon the broadly-smiling woman asked if she could introduce the child to him as a General Authority. He smiled tightly, said something that I couldn't make out and remained stiffly seated.

The woman looked down at the shy young girl who was holding back close to the woman and told her that Nelson was "an apostle of our Church."

Nelson did not extend his hand to the girl, kept the obligatory tight smile and when the woman and girl turned around and left after the brief encounter, immediately went back to writing in his little planner. In fact, the woman and girl had taken only a step or two away from Nelson when he resumed scribbling whatever he was crouched over so intently entering in his important little book.

I looked over Nelson's way a few minutes later and he was gone--vanished--no doubt, quietly ushered aboard the first-class section.

It was about as warm a moment as one would see at, say, an ice cube convention.

Edited 12 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2013 10:33PM by steve benson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: deco ( )
Date: April 16, 2013 07:44PM

Outside the small world of mormondumb, these guys are not rock stars, but rather simply corporate executives.

I could see one of the big execs wanting to keep a low profile, particularly with marriage equality being in the headlines.

Undoubtedly most future travel of these guys will be done in private jets, so they will not have to be exposed to the unwashed masses.

I may have just asked a passing question like 'How is DoDo?'

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: April 16, 2013 07:56PM

Not surprised. Morgbots worship the ground these guys walk on, but from the stories I've heard, most of these guys don't act much like apostles of Jesus Christ when they're on down time.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: April 16, 2013 08:14PM

Nelson sure pulled in my mission president with the Mormon rock star routine. My MP said he and the rest of the mission presidents in the area met with Nelson in the "upper room" of the London temple, where Nelson presented them with some ancient scripture called the Discourse on AbbatĂ´n from the Coptic Martyrdoms he said "the spirit" led him to in the British Library. My MP would read passages to us in hushed tones on occasion and basically lorded it over us my whole mission without ever giving us a copy. I thought he was making up the story about Elder Nelson until Nelson quoted from it in a General Conference talk.

I went home and found the Coptic Martyrdoms in the BYU Ancient Scripture library. (Fail horn.) Here's a transcript I made and posted online years ago, because I hate that secret-knowledge-you-can't-read-because-you're-not-worthy-enough crap:

http://www.thinlyveiled.com/abbaton.htm

Posted by: hawkeye ( )
Date: April 16, 2013 10:58PM

I was actually bored enough to read through the translation of that Coptic manuscript and I have no idea why it would appeal to Mormons. It's full of stuff that contradicts LDS doctrine: Mary being ever-virgin and referred to as holy and theotokos (godbearer); no marriage in heaven; angels are not human spirits; Adam is not the archangel Michael; the Fall representing something bad happening to mankind not a "brave choice by Mother Eve" necessary for our progression, etc.

Seriously, it makes no sense to me why an LDS apostle would find this document compelling, unless they secretly make offerings in the upper rooms of the SLC temple to the Angel of Death who seems to be the main focus of the story. Weird.

Date: April 16, 2013 11:02PM

Maybe that's why we weren't allowed to see it. The stuff that got read to us was the part about Adam in the Garden of Eden, which in some ways is similar to the temple video, and the prophesy of Jesus at the end.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: April 17, 2013 08:52AM

Well, I mean, who is gonna go through all the trouble to get a copy for themselves? Mr.Apostolicky pants gets a copy nobody will read and pretends to be reading stuff that surely isn't in there. You know, just like the Priests used to do with the bible when most people could not read.

What turned the Church on its ear was when people found out what was in the Bible. Solution? Make the book available for all to see what their Apostle is reading.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 16, 2013 08:24PM

What Nelson doesn't fully grasp is that children are the future, literally. Someday when Nelson's mortal remains are mouldering in the ground, this little girl's memories (along with those of other children) will constitute his legacy. And children are acute observers.

My mom, along with my brother in his youth, met Eleanor Roosevelt. Their memories are of an exceptionally warm, kind, benign woman. I recently looked at her statue at the F.D.R. memorial in Washington, D.C. and thought about what my mother shared with me. Now keep in mind that my mother was a fervent Republican her entire life! But she was very impressed by her encounter with Mrs. Roosevelt and always spoke very highly of her.

Some public figures are worthy of the esteem in which they are held and others conspicuously are not.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: April 16, 2013 11:49PM

Why does he care. He'll be dead by the time that little girl is old enough to marry, which is the only way she matters in his sad pathetic world.

Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: April 16, 2013 09:28PM

Steve,

Thanks for sharing that. I have met two of "them" in the flesh, Ballard and Bednar

Ballard was pompous and arrogant. Bednar? Well, he was pompous and arrogant.

So from a sample of two, I have concluded they are pompous and arrogant as a rule.

Date: April 16, 2013 10:18PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2013 10:24PM by steve benson.

Posted by: 2thdoc ( )
Date: April 17, 2013 10:06AM

OK, now we're up to 5...we can officially add Eyring to that list of pompous and arrogant. He was in town 9 years ago to select a new Stake President. After my interview, I walked out of the room muttering, "What an arrogant jerk." (He didn't pick me, BTW)

Posted by: utahstateagnostics ( )
Date: April 17, 2013 10:43AM

I can concur about Eyering and Bednar.

I met Eyering in Japan when he visited my mission and rebuked all of us. (as a side note, we took a picture of the whole mission in a chapel with Eyering, and I was the only one to be left out of the frame. Used to piss me off, but now I don't care so much).

I met Bednar while he was still president of Ricks (back when it WAS Ricks).

However, I can honestly say that both times I met L. Tom Perry, he was incredibly kind to my family.

Date: April 17, 2013 02:59PM

Same experience I've had with L. Tom Perry. I've met him twice, and he was a really nice guy to me both times.

Posted by: Onmywayout . . . someday ( )
Date: April 16, 2013 09:29PM

You should have introduced yourself Steve.

I would love to have seen the look on his face if you walked up, stuck your hand out and said: "Hey Russ, I'm Steve Benson, Pulitzer Prize winner, grandson of good ole Ezra T., and proud apostate. How the hell are you today!?"

Date: April 16, 2013 09:32PM

lol.. Nelson would have looked around and said "Where'd that kid go?"

Date: April 16, 2013 09:43PM

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2013 10:11PM by steve benson.

Posted by: mav ( )
Date: April 16, 2013 09:31PM

are allowed on board from their shiny blue car on the Tarmac before general boarding.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: April 16, 2013 10:29PM

Posted by: Crathes ( )
Date: April 16, 2013 10:37PM

I see Nelson and Ballard from time to time. Pre flight, they are typically off to one side in the Crown Room (Sky Club) the SLC Airport. Too important to talk with the unwashed masses. Then they get on the little cart for a right to the gate, and then first on board and into first class.

When they do walk (I see Holland) it is always with the "do not disturb" sign going full force. You know, - head down, frown, no eye contact. So, you ignore us, we will ignore you. Oh, keep our money to ourselves.

Date: April 16, 2013 10:40PM

In fact, the gate area was so small that the boarding agent told passengers to think about checking their carry-ons because of limited space there.

Oh, the humanity!

I don't see how Nelson could have survived being around, you know, actual people. :)

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2013 11:06PM by steve benson.

Posted by: flyindoc ( )
Date: April 17, 2013 03:08AM

I was encouraged by my bishop to write Elder Nelson a letter when I was contemplating a residency in General Surgery. I was wondering if the chruch's teachings on family contradicted a lifestyle that would require 110 hour weeks during residency (5-7 years depending on research) and 80 ish after. The bishop and stake president couldn't answer my questions. Russel Nelson wrote a nice letter (tell me how to scan and paste on this site). Five to six years later he gives this devotional address:

https://www.lds.org/ensign/2001/08/identity-priority-and-blessings?lang=eng

Interesting isn't it?

Posted by: Mr. Neutron ( )
Date: April 17, 2013 09:20AM

"Contemplation of life after retirement and life after death can help you deal with contemporary challenges." He's not even paying attention. This man is clueless about the needs of tiny, developing humans. He's planning for retirement, a time when a man's children are grown and usually living far away. They needed him when they were small. It's one more family where the children will be far more familiar with the mother and a whole hell of a lot less with the father, because he deliberately chose to have children he wouldn't be able to provide for, and WOULDN'T BE ABLE TO SPEND TIME WITH, because of the demanding career that he also deliberately chose. We're not talking, after all, about a guy who had little choice but to work in a coal mine for 12 hours a day. Another example of the idea inculcated in a great many Mormon adults that the teachings of the church and a roof over their heads is sufficient for children's needs.

I'm glad to hear that the rising generation of Mormons is less concerned with starting families right away, or having very many children. This guy gave his kids next to nothing valuable, and now they are all deluded into thinking that it's okay, because their dad is such an important fucking person. It's no surprise at all that such a man wouldn't pay attention to a little girl in an airport. He didn't pay attention to them when his wife pushed them out of her body, either.

Posted by: petrouchka ( )
Date: April 17, 2013 09:53AM

He pays his daughters plenty of attention now, since he keeps calling their husbands to be mission presidents (whether they are ready or not).

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: April 16, 2013 10:43PM

...which is exactly how Jesus would do. After all, he did get into a boat and preach from a few yards out in the water.

But at least he wasn't outlining his next book.

Ana

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: April 17, 2013 12:00AM

"That wasn't awesome".

Yes, indeed. It was not.

After our GBH sighting fizzled, I figured that the lesser among them would be even less awesome. From all accounts, this is correct.

I remember being in the tabernacle for GC shortly after my baptism. Some of the 12 are apparently assigned to be present for the plebes who don't have tickets for the main building. I was sitting up close and could see them in person during the talks and as they walked among us afterwards. Not a smile to be had from any of them.

Inspiring? Not!

PS: Re the OP, yeah, what did he give that woman and child to remember him by? A random stranger would be kinder and more memorable.

Do we expect a lot from an "apostle"?

Well. Yeah. Kinda.

Or else he's just an ordinary man. Or not even. "Ordinary" people every day are kind to strangers and fellow humans everywhere, exemplified in Boston yesterday in amazing ways, and every day all over the world by the countless "little guys and gals" who really make the world go 'round.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2013 12:06AM by Nightingale.

Posted by: GC ( )
Date: April 17, 2013 03:56AM

Agree with points made; these guys should act more interested and loving. I think part of the problem is these guys are old and burned out -- working long hours when they should be retired.

Another reason why TSCC needs younger GA's.

Posted by: alx71ut ( )
Date: April 17, 2013 03:58AM

Russell M. Nelson turns 89 this year as he was born in 1924.

Personally I've never knowingly seen any of the FP/Q12 on any Delta flights, Delta Sky Clubs, or anywhere at any airport the past 4 years. During this time I've flown out of SLC airport at least 80 times, I've been to the Salt Lake Sky Club dozens of times, and I've flown into the SLC airport just as many times.

Date: April 17, 2013 01:38PM

I remember because this was back in the day (the 1980s) when you still had general access to the gates. I walked down to the gate, I.D.-ed my myself and was allowed onboard the plane for a few minutes before it took off back to SLC. (ETB had already attended the inaugural ceremonies earlier in the day; I had decided not to go because I wanted to maintain some press distance from the event within the context of my job as an independent editorial cartoonist. My grandfather, however, did give me his inaugural program as a souvenir).

Here's an earlier post of mine on that episode:

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,49489,49489#msg-49489

Anyway, there on the Delta plane was Grandpa Benson, sitting in first class, with his suitcoat off. I sat down next to him and our conversation soon turned to his health. He had recently had a pacemaker implanted. I asked him how he was feeling. He said he was doing good. He pointed to the bump under his skin near his collarbone where the device was and I asked if I could feel it. He smiled and said sure.

Here's a "Deseret News" story about his pacemaker implant:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=336&dat=19861107&id=yAUyAAAAIBAJ&sjid=JoQDAAAAIBAJ&pg=6573,2804016

And here's my earlier RfM account, intially posted in January 2006, on the pacemaker moment aboard that Delta plane with ETB:

"It was January 1987 and, as President of the Mormon Church, he had been flown down from Salt Lake City to Phoenix in order to attend, by invitation of Arizona governor-elect and fellow arch-conservative/Mormon Evan Mecham, the governor-in-waiting's swearing-in ceremony (Mecham, by the way, whom my grandfather warmly referred to in our later conversations as 'our man,' was eventually impeached, convicted and removed from office by the Arizona legislature for high crimes and misdemeanors).

"Anyway, knowing that my grandfather would be leaving Phoenix immediately after the inauguration ceremonies, I left my newspaper offices and hurried over to the airport, where my grandfather's commercial flight was sitting, with him aboard, on the tarmac, preparing to taxi out to the runway and take off.

I was allowed to board the aircraft to visit briefly with him prior to his departure. He was seated in the first-class section, with his suit jacket off. We had a pleasant chat, during which our conversation turned to his health.

"My grandfather had been having recent problems with an irregular heartbeat and, consequently, had been fitted with a pacemaker. I asked him where it had been implanted and he pointed to an area just below his collarbone. I asked if I could feel it. He smiled and said I could so I gingerly touched the area through his shirt. It was a small, hard lump.

"We chatted some more, then I bid him a fond good-bye and off he went. . . ."

That's what happened, dude, and it happened on Delta.

And "Apostle" Russell M. Nelson was in the Delta gate area recently, sitting across from me, and was recognized as a Mormon GA by a member of the LDS faith, who introduced a child to her as "an Apostle of our Church."

It was a Delta flight outbound from Phx to SLC from a Delta gate, so I don't care how many times you've flown in and out of SLC and missed seeing a Mormon GA going Delta.

Maybe you need to hang out with me more. :)

Edited 9 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2013 02:23PM by steve benson.

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: April 17, 2013 07:45AM

Was his eyesight that bad that he didn't see you Steve? I'm surprised he didn't play things up to "impress" you. Guess he's too old.

Date: April 17, 2013 02:30PM

Posted by: kookoo4kokaubeam ( )
Date: April 17, 2013 10:35AM

"He looked old, gray, small and rather grim."

Why is it that nearly all GA's look as if there is no joy to be had in the universe? My hell, if they really are the special witnesses of Christ they lead the membership to believe they are they should radiate love and compassion.

I saw Tom Perry once at the SLC airport. He was with his wife and in civilian clothing. A group of missionaries was walking towards their gate and his wife motioned towards them. He lowered his head told her no and motioned his hand also in the negative. The missionaries were of course at first excited to see him but then puzzled as he marched past IGNORING THEM.

Why these men are so revered in TSSC is beyond me.

Posted by: BeenThereDunnThatExMo ( )
Date: April 17, 2013 02:10PM

I would welcome and relish the opportunity to run into a so-called "general authority" of LDS Inc. while traveling. In fact i have planned in advance for just such an occasion.

Honestly if i ever see any level of GA that i can identify in an airport while traveling i will personally go over to him...politely introduce myself as a 5th generation Mormon...and then proceed to tell him in no uncertain terms the following for as long as i could get him to stand there and listen to me...

"I would be remiss if i didn't share my feelings with you today...You are a liar, a charlatan and a fraud. You have shredded untold numbers of families apart by your charade...including mine...i just wanted you to know that you a$$hole!"

It would make my day...my month...and probably my year!

Or so it seems to me...

Posted by: Cali Sally ( )
Date: April 17, 2013 02:15PM

I've been up close an personal with all those apostles so far mentioned (except Oaks) and a few more. I met Steve's grandpa as well as Hickley. Ezra T. Benson was the only personable one in the bunch but I think that's because I was with two of Steve's cousins at the time. L. Tom Perry was very gruff with me because I asked him why TSCC (didn't call it that to his face) hired so many single women for church jobs but never hired single men. It made it almost impossible for single LDS women to find an LDS date. He never answered me.

I would call all the apostles I've met cold, arrogant, and dismissive. Bednar was particularly condescending to me as a women. He told me I looked good in my place in the kitchen. YUCK! Not a word about the office work I did for him. Each one wanted to get me behind him asap and I was pretty adoring at that time. Packer and Eyring were the worst because I sincerely wanted them to give some glimmer of hope that my dad would someday join LDS, Inc. Both were gruff and dismissive and acted like they were tired of being asked stupid questions like that. It sure burst my bubble. I truly believe these men know TSCC is fake and just cannot stand the facade. It would be great to get a death bed confession from one of them.

My closest interaction was with Nelson. I was sitting next to him at breakfast in the mission home of my mission president when the Mission President got up and started regaling Nelson with loads of missionary statistics and how much better he was doing than the previous mission president. Nelson sat stone faced until the MP was done talking. Then Nelson curtly stated, "President, I don't really care about your baptisms, I care about your conversions." At the time I was greatly impressed but now I know he was just expressing his disgust with all the converts that drop out immediately after baptism. No tithing ever arrives in SLC if they drop out.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.