Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: karin ( )
Date: April 17, 2013 06:59PM

In high school, while Mormon, I read The Crysalids by John Wyndham (Day of the Triffids fame). It taught me the results of being UBER religious.

The Red Tent by Anita Diamont is a really interesting historical fiction novel about Dinah, the daughter of Jacob and sister to the band of 12 sons of Jacob. Very interesting 'other' viewpoint to the biblical story.

1984 would have if i'd have known about how the church rewrites history to suit itself, but I didn't know that as a teen.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ambivalent exmo ( )
Date: April 17, 2013 07:05PM

Ooh, I just thought of another. It's a short story, The Lottery by Shirley Jackson. Love.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: April 17, 2013 08:33PM

I'll add two more that are fun and good that I didn't see in the other thread.

The Poisonwood Bible by Kingsolver and Age of Reason by Paine.

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: April 17, 2013 09:23PM

I don't know of any "good" books out there on this topic, but there should be some kind of required reading in high school on the subject of logical fallacies. Not only can you see the problems inherent in religion but also in other areas of life like politics, etc.

I feel like most Americans simply have a terrible grasp of logic and CONSTANTLY defer to weak logical fallacies in their reasoning. It drives me crazy. Our society would be far better off if they were taught these principles.

Posted by: molly_phobic ( )
Date: April 17, 2013 09:31PM

There's a short story called "Love Is a Fallacy," by Max Schullman. Some of the cultural references in it are a little dated, at least for high school students, but it does a good job of working through the most common formal and informal fallacies.

For what it's worth, every one of my students studies logic and fallacies. I wish I could apply my classroom expectations to cable news, political speeches, and religious discourse--logical, fallacy-free arguments for all!

Posted by: molly_phobic ( )
Date: April 17, 2013 09:42PM

I missed the original thread, so sorry if these are repeats...

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury: the role of censorship and message repetition to control people. Clarisse asks Guy, "Are you happy?" and a realizes he's not--a lifetime of conditioning gone in a single moment.

Something Wicked This Way Comes, also Bradbury: the pursuit of happiness and perfection eats away at our humanity until we become monsters. Joy and sadness are two faces of the same coin, and anyone trying to sell you something different probably wants more than you're willing to pay.

Portrait of the Artist As a Young Man by James Joyce: humanity is both marvelous and ugly, the body should be celebrated not shamed, and the creation of art makes the need for religion obsolete.

I read all of these books in either junior high or high school. Each, in it's own way, helped me free myself from my cultish, brainwashed childhood.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.