Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Carrots Tomatoes and Radishes ( )
Date: April 18, 2013 12:17PM

So I was thinking about how blacks were cursed because of the whole thing with the Native Americans and then I thought, "Wait...what about African Americans? And Latinos? etc. Why were they cursed?" The only people that shouldn't have received the priesthood would have been Native Americans but they are just a racist church.

Edit: I haven't read through the posts yet and I'm sure people have mentioned it but I forgot about the whole Cain thing. Still, it's silly because they're lumping two different sins under the same curse. But anyway, continue with discussing :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2013 01:51AM by nickson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: notnewatthisanymore ( )
Date: April 18, 2013 12:45PM

Supposedly blacks were the seed of Cain, and thus cursed.
I mean, really? "We believe in not being punished for Adam's transgrssion, but you better not be one of Cain's kids."

Posted by: moroni ( )
Date: April 25, 2013 12:22AM

More info on this:
http://mormonquotes.com/Blacks
http://mormonquotes.com/Curse_of_dark_skin
Credit to weepingwillow for finding the site.

Posted by: weepingwillow ( )
Date: April 18, 2013 12:53PM

I was just talking to my mom on the phone about this. Heres a link to all Brigham Youngs super duper crappy quotes:
http://mormonquotes.com/Brigham_Young?vm=r&s=1

But of he wasnt the only racist as the church wants us to believe. Seems like most were.

Posted by: weepingwillow ( )
Date: April 18, 2013 12:55PM

1954, Apostle Mark E. Petersen told BYU students: "If that Negro is faithful all his days, he can and will enter the celestial kingdom. He will go there as a servant, but he will get a celestial resurrection."

How nice of them to let them in as servants. How grateful they must be!

Posted by: Carrots Tomatoes and Radishes ( )
Date: April 18, 2013 02:53PM

That's one of the worst I've heard

Posted by: Mr. Neutron ( )
Date: April 18, 2013 02:56PM

"We will go down, Jehovah.

...Oh, Rochester?"

Posted by: Adult of god ( )
Date: April 25, 2013 03:30PM

LOL! Yeah, I'm old.

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: April 18, 2013 06:14PM

Wasn't that the GA that also said he would be fine with it if they all owned Cadillac's......if they could afford them?

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: April 18, 2013 09:48PM

that's a jacked up quote!

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: April 18, 2013 03:06PM

Yeah, top down. I think the whole church, leaders AND members (because their leaders taught them to be), was racist all from the beginning all the way through the civil rights movement.

You'd think the "one true church" led by a "prophets of God" would be a "beacon of truth and light" and be at the forefront of the civil rights movement teaching that all men are equal and the of the evils of racism, but no, it didn't happen, no inspiration there.

Posted by: likeaboss8821 ( )
Date: April 18, 2013 08:13PM

Not to mention that the major civil rights movements were in the 1960's, but it wasnt until 1978 till change took place in mormonism. Racist people afraid of change...'

GBH would have had everyone just move on, as its "behind us." However, they have never apologized for it. Not to mention the deep implications of "spokesmen for God" saying such awful things...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2013 08:17PM by likeaboss8821.

Posted by: moroni ( )
Date: April 25, 2013 12:15AM

Edit

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2013 12:16AM by moroni.

Posted by: GetTheLedZepOut ( )
Date: April 18, 2013 03:28PM

There is absolutely nothing in the church's past racism that can stand up to the slightest bit of scrutiny.

JS and BY both pretty much said blacks are cursed, we don't support aboltion, and they pretty much had it coming to be servants.

Its beyond my ability to understand how the church faithful aren't more disturbed by this.

Posted by: philipafarewell ( )
Date: April 25, 2013 04:21AM

Just like everything else TBM make excuses and justify.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: April 18, 2013 03:39PM

Just a side note on the issue of blacks joining the LDS Church.

From my experience and chats with some blacks that joined the LDS Church.
This is my interpretation.

They seem to see a welcome change in the acceptance especially after the Civil Rights Movement in the 60's, and change in 1978 to accept all 'worthy men" into the Mormon Priesthoods.

Yes, people are racist, and I suppose they always will be on some level. (I am not getting into other nationalities and their racism.)

An example of LDS racism:

I was in a temple right after the 1978 change with a black man. It was quite shocking to see how he was ignored, and how people walked away from him when they saw the color of his face.
I found that behavior appalling.

Another example.
This is what I observed:
A black member walked into a classroom and took his seat.
An elderly white female walked into the same row, looked up to take a seat, saw the black male member, and turned around and walked out of the row, making it necessary for others behind her to walk back out also.

Today, I have observed the LDS Church, in general, has shown an effort to remove racism in the last few decades, especially since 1978.
Some members, on the other hand, seem to be taking a lot longer, if ever.

Racism is alive and well in some folks's minds.

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: April 18, 2013 09:44PM

And the thing is the racism which the members held probably wouldn't have existed had the original Mormon prophets taught its members to LOVE ALL PEOPLE and to TREAT THEM AS EQUALS. But no, they taught racism and instituted racist policies, which of course polluted the minds of their followers for generations.

Posted by: alphonso ( )
Date: April 18, 2013 10:00PM

I went through an endowment session a couple of years ago. The officiator for the session was a black man. For the few times I went to the temple, he was the first black man I saw there. I was so happy to see him.

Posted by: justemilynow ( )
Date: April 18, 2013 10:23PM

One of my LDS students announced loudly at the end of class (as they were packing up and getting ready to go) that "he doesn't mind black people, as long as they don't "act black"

This was said by a 15 year old in 2010.

I'd say they haven't come very far.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: April 18, 2013 11:35PM

Sure, they can deny it.

Alexander Morrison, in the Sep 2000 Ensign, titled "No More Strangers":

"How grateful I am that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has from its beginnings stood strongly against racism in any of its malignant manifestations."

So.. new/young mormons read things like this.. and it turns the rest of us into liars.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 19, 2013 12:07AM

One of my relatives, aged about twelve said of Mitt Romney: I'd vote for him, because at least he's white. That's a TBM boy in 2012.

Posted by: rogermartim ( )
Date: April 19, 2013 04:59PM

And to think that Mitt Romney said that he cried about the change in 1978 when he heard it on his car radio. Didn't he think that this church doctrine was sh!t to begin with? I'm sure he will cry again when he hears about another doctrinal change accepting Gay folks down the road.

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: April 19, 2013 05:14PM

Their official stance now is that they don't know why blacks couldn't receive the priesthood. They were in the right, but they haven't figured out why yet. Never mind the fact that Brigham Young, who instituted the practice, explained why in great detail.

Posted by: lucky ( )
Date: April 25, 2013 04:39AM

kimball Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Their official stance now is that they don't know
> why blacks couldn't receive the priesthood. They
> were in the right, but they haven't figured out
> why yet. Never mind the fact that Brigham Young,
> who instituted the practice, explained why in
> great detail.

Yah, Yah, they we were, us MORmONS, in the middle of the great latter day restoration, doing the work of the lord, and this really nasty racism just interjected itself into the situation, it just cropped up out of no where ! and we have no idea of where it came from !

sure, we have prophets that run this thing, and they have incredible prophetic discerning powers, but dont expect us to figure out how this nasty racism cropped up in
our super nice church.......

STUPID ASS MORmONS!

Posted by: Xanax ( )
Date: April 25, 2013 11:35AM

IMO, Racism has always been part of the human nature, and always will be.
Then, all of a sudden, society strives to treat everyone fairly and equally, and it becomes a socially unacceptable taboo. The church has a lot of pressure, and, mysteriously, out of nothing, in 1978 says that black people can hold the priesthood, and denies its past.

It always surprises me how the church hides its past, as if nothing had happened.
They're pussies.

Posted by: Xanax ( )
Date: April 25, 2013 11:40AM

"The blood of Cain was more predominant in these Mexicans than that of Israel, and we thus condemn the mixing of Mormons with outsiders."

Oh, yeah, sure.
Seriously, this statement is one of the stupidest I've ever read.

Posted by: an991 ( )
Date: April 25, 2013 03:39PM

BUT GUYS!!!! God is only giving us a bit at a time because we can't handle the truth yet so it's okay, just we as a society weren't ready for blacks or gays with the preisthood so god has to reveal it when we are ready m'kay?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.