Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: experienceheals ( )
Date: January 19, 2011 01:46PM

If you'd like to discuss it with me. Thank you

I would like to know what are ALL the tail tail signs of someone who might have aspergers. I'm aware that a lot if not all people have a little bit of autism in them with varying degrees. A lady who also worked with kids with aspergers and autism among other things told me that she believes everyone has a little bit of something in them. Sometimes I actually believe that, because after working around kids with different symptoms for several years in child care programs, schools and 1 year of one on one attention in a special day classroom with high functioning aspergers, I started noticing very minut to some more evident patters of behavior, anylyzing and intelligent thinking, stress, anxiety etc. resided within myself.

I was questioning whether it was just from being around them several hours a day, feeling the overwhelming stress, or if I really did have similar qualities. I know if I was full blown and could not manage myself collectively and in a calm demeanor, then I never would have been chosen to work in that environment. The teacher that picked me out of a couple hundred candidates to work with her, saw my calm and understanding demeanor with just a little prior experience, and knew I was a perfect fit to work with her and the kids she worked with. I gotta tell you, I think she was correct on her judgment, because every time the kids were around me, they were calm and collected, but when she was around them, they got agitated very quick easy and sometimes would get plain heinous and combative. I still had to get licensed and trained in proper restraining techniques with combative behaving children.

Anyhow, you mentioned you have kids. Did some of those traits get passed on down to them? If so, how severe? if you don't mind me asking, what level of severity have Doctors diagnosed you at? you mentioned it's very tough for you to manage in working environments. I find it difficult to manage for long periods of time where there's high traffic of complete strangers day in and day out for myself. I do much better working in smaller groups of 60 or less with people I can get to know and am familiar with.

Sometimes I fear having kids myself, because of the chance of my wife and I passing down chemical genes of one or all of them having similar or maybe even worse struggles than my wife and I ever had. We both grew up with minor cases of A.D.D. Neither of us ever had to take meds because we've learned to cope and deal with it through other constructive means. I do get rare small quick bouts of anxiety once in a while. I think off and on depression might have a little something to do with it, or maybe some hyperthyroid might have something to do with it, since that runs in my family, or it could have something to do with my Dad passing away 4 years ago and the fear of losing my own life or someone else close to me. Losing my Dad was tough enough.

I've learned breathing and relaxing techniques have helped me a lot in the past. The spells have become less and less over time to almost nothing. Enough exercise I'm sure helps too. What have been your experiences, understanding of different situations in your circumstances? I'm really interested since I never got the chance to ask the kids I worked with under certain guidelines, plus they were just barely figuring out their own chemistry. Thank you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: January 19, 2011 03:44PM

I'll do my best and if I miss something just ask again.

First of all, I diagnosed myself. My technical diagnosis is Schizoid personality disorder. (Full disclosure. :) )

Yes, I also believe everyone has SOMETHING. Since these issues are neurological it's pretty much a guarantee that everyone's brain will have *a* glitch. But I also think they offer up great possibilities for looking at the world and problem solving because you tend to look at things just a little differently.

For a good rundown of the signs of autism/asperger's try this site. Like most neurological issues it tends to be a "one or more in each catagory" thing. :)

http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/autism/what-are-the-autism-spectrum-disorders.shtml

Yes, some of the traits were passed down. My daughter is ADHD (diagnosed in infancy but never required medication) and my son shows signs of mild Asperger's but he's happily married and functions pretty well. My daughter's boy is also ADHD (required medication to focus in school and needs extra help learning about self control and how to handle emotions but doing well) and my son's oldest boy has classic autism. (I also have an adult cousin with classic autism and there's more ADD/ADHD issues in my extended family.) The genetic component is very real.

Many individuals with Asperger's are capable of being quite calm. I'm one of them and children -- especially traumatized children -- absolutely love me. (Animals too -- it's just adults I don't cope with. lol)

My experiences were primarily in wondering what the heck was wrong with me as I grew up. I was always pissing people off but never understood why. I still am frequently confused when I am offensive. I also became socially anxious and suffered years of serious depression.

On the other hand, I'm a great mom and grandma. I'm on social security because I simply can't function in a normal work environment. But I live with my son and daughter in law and am the primary caregiver for their three boys. It allows them to work and go to school without worrying about their special needs. (His middle boy is slightly developmentally delayed.) AND I'm available to help out my daughter when her children need watching and my niece when my sister needs a hand. So I'm able to not feel like a parasite on society. :)

Anyway, feel free to ask specific questions, just be aware that when you've met one person with autism you've met one person with autism. (It's a syndrome and there are tons of variations.)

Date: January 19, 2011 04:02PM

I have to agree with you on managing better around kids than adults. I thin a lot of adults tend to complicate things more than is needed. Kids for the most part are straight shooting, transparent and honest. I can relate to that better. I think that's why I did so well when working around kids, although I did get pretty burned out from it after a while. I'm well aware that there are plenty of varieties of aspergers, autism, a.d.d. a.d.h.d bipolar, skitz, turrets etc. I've worked with them all. pretty complicated stuff, but a real education and humbling experience to say the least. thanks for sharing and being open. It helps to know more about it's possibilities of being passed on down and different effects it can have on different individuals. It's nice to know someone who's been through it for a while and is still managing fairly well.

Date: January 19, 2011 04:10PM

I just wanted to add one more thing. I watch Dr. Oz sometimes and the Doctors. each of them mentioned that it's normally not the best idea to self diagnose when it comes to certain illnesses because the results could be devastating especially when that person doing the self diagnosis could be off just a bit by their own self diagnosis. I'm assuming the same could apply with chemical and mental disorders. So it couldn't hurt to find a Neurologist/Chemist that actually knows what they're talking about. What do you think?

Date: January 19, 2011 04:15PM

If you look up Schizoid Personality disorder you'll find it's essentially the same as Asperger's. The only difference is that *I* know that I've been this way all of my life -- it isn't something I developed.

It's really hard to be diagnosed with Asperger's as an adult -- particularly as a female adult. ;)

But I understand what you're saying about self diagnosis. Generally I don't do such things and I certainly don't treat myself.

Posted by: edmarc ( )
Date: January 19, 2011 03:45PM

You must be from the KSL boards that got shut down. Am I correct?

Date: January 19, 2011 04:05PM

what does KSL stand for? I'm not aware of any such board.

Date: January 19, 2011 04:16PM

Who were you? (If you don't mind me asking.)

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: January 19, 2011 04:26PM

Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: January 19, 2011 07:32PM

I love being around people with aspergers. I wish more of the world acted like people with aspergers do (a little more genuine, and not as much B.S.)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2011 07:38PM by DNA.

Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: January 19, 2011 07:34PM

raptorjesus Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'd guess Charles h

RFLMAO!!

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: January 19, 2011 08:42PM

Posted by: edmarc ( )
Date: January 19, 2011 07:43PM

Rebeckah Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Who were you? (If you don't mind me asking.)

I was Ed D.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: January 19, 2011 07:56PM

"Hi. I am diagnosed as a paranoid Schizophrenic with Psychotic tendencies!"

I looked him up and down and quickly responded with: "Are you currently on any prescribed medication for your condition?"

He replied: "No. Why do you ask?"

My answer: "Well, if you are not any any psychoactive medication, you won't be barred from drinking alcohol. Would you like a pint?"

He grinned and accepted a pint of beer.

Afterwards he came up to me and shook hands. He admitted that he used that line to test new acquaintances out, and had been surprised by my comeback.

Going out with him could be a bit interesting. "Oh, my God! There's blood on your hand! Oh, sorry! No, I'm hallucinating again! Or: "Can YOU see that... ah. No. It's not there. Sorry!"

Always good company, though.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: January 19, 2011 08:02PM

One of the big markers is always feeling like you don't belong, no matter where you are. I've spent my entire life feeling like a freak. No matter where I am, I feel I don't really fit in.

Most people with Asperger's have normal sex drives, but they often don't marry, or end up divorced, because they don't really understand couple dynamics. Although many asexuals, such as myself, are also Aspies.

I have a fairly high IQ, although I've got nothing on my nephew, who also has Asperger's. He's a freakin' genius. That kid is scary smart. He taught himself how to read by the time he was 4.

And yet, I come off as a bit of an airhead when I talk to people. For my nephew, he has a thick accent. He sounds like he's from Boston, although we're Canadian.

I had to stop collecting things, because I couldn't just have one or two favourite pieces. I had to have the whole collection. My nephew has never been to Calgary, but if you ever needed directions, he could tell you where to go, as he has the map memorized. He loves maps.

We're both extremely timid and quiet, but if you get us talking one-on-one, we'll yap your ear off talking about one of our favourite subjects.

I'm 52 and I've done alright. The most frustrating thing for me has been how timid I am and how much I hate busy social situations. I'll never be a party girl, that's for sure.

It becomes a problem at work because I'm afraid to make phone calls, but I just push myself because I have to. But if I can get away with e-mailing a person, I will do that instead.

Date: January 19, 2011 08:20PM

I'd probably have next to no social life at all except my son married an AMAZING woman.She's a social diva and has half a million friends which keeps my son and I from being total recluses.

And I'm not "asexual" but I'm pretty close. Mostly, I think, because I just don't trust people, men especially. Most guys aren't willing to chase after a hermit who lives with her children and doesn't trust them -- I don't know why. (smile)

I'm not timid, though. I'm stubborn, bullheaded and just foolhardy enough to confront anyone I see bullying or abusing another. You'd think I'd learn but I just can't ignore it. ;)

Date: January 19, 2011 10:36PM

wow, crazy, after reading what you and greyfort mentioned, I saw some of those characteristics in myself, but not too extreme. I used to go to church dances and I'd be fine for the first 30 minutes but then I'd get physically and mentally drained pretty quick from being around all the crowds. I tend to take in a lot of energy. I thought it was always because I was an introvert and just shy and soft spoken growing up.

I don't like heavy traffic myself, but I manage. I do however know how to speak to people in a diplomatic and professional way over the phone and in person with plenty of practice. I just choose to let off steam and let it all fly out on the internet sometimes where it's a little safer. I think a lot of people abuse the internet for those very reasons though. Doesn't make it right especially when it's used to tear others down, but some people need to vent once in a while. I do my best to mind my manners most the time.

I'm just curious how much and how little I have in me. I actually been painting traditional art over 15 years and have taken up 3D animation and graphic design for the past several years. When I was working with kids, I was assigned as the main art teacher. Art was their favorite time, because it helped relax them and free themselves from the stress of trying to stay focused on their boring school work they were more than capable of doing.

Date: January 19, 2011 11:00PM

I don't deal well with lots of noise/movement/lights around me. I went to a concert once -- won't do that again. I rarely go to even small family parties. I save up all of my energy for my once a year family trip to the fair -- and even then I generally need to find a secluded corner (even a bathroom stall) and try to relax and decompress in the middle of it.

Sensory issues tend to be an autism/Aspie thing too. For instance, I am extremely sensitive to light. I wear sunglasses in the winter time and absolutely require blue blockers in them. Noises are not always an issue but they can build to one fairly quickly. I very much dislike being touched and cannot abide being caressed. I'll actually get a welt from it if someone persists. And the feel of mushrooms and pears will actually make me throw up.

As a child I was always being accused of lecturing people even though I was just sharing whatever enthusiasm I had at the time. As an adult I went through a LOT of therapy and the consensus seemed to be that I have a "flat" affect. (I think that's the emotional equivelent of monotone.)

At least my grandson with autism has someone who can interface for him. ;)

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: January 19, 2011 10:44PM

There are several questionnaires on-line where you can check to see if you might have Asperger's. I've always gone over the line into the Asperger's territory whenever I've done one of them.

There are a few things which don't fit me, such as I'm very animated when I talk and people say that Asperger's people tend to be rather deadpan. But my nephew is the same way.

Date: January 19, 2011 10:54PM

yeah I'm more animated when just relaxing and having fun, but when I'm in deep thought while trying to focus on what I'm saying and thinking, it sounds more serious and monotone. Aren't a lot of people like that though? I know what you mean about dead pan talk though. I have been around a few that were more dead pan talking than fluctuations in their voice to express what they're talking about.

Date: January 19, 2011 10:56PM

I'd be interested in testing a few of them out. the more accurate ones preferably. haha! Thanks.

Date: January 19, 2011 11:01PM

Don't know if they still do but it was free to take it. :)

Date: January 19, 2011 11:08PM

It's kind of an irresistable combination for abusive creeps.

Date: January 19, 2011 11:22PM

hmmmm, I tend to be an easy target somehow, which I can not understand. I usually fight back and give bullies a good run for their money. I was bullied by one guy who pretended to be my friend in school, but he stopped once I literally kicked his ass. He started respecting me and not making a mockery of me in front of class mates anymore. I never understood it myself. thanks guys for the helpful links and your insightful feedback.

Date: January 19, 2011 11:38PM

So I told her it's a rare condition where bergers build up and come out of peoples ass instead of from the nose. LOL! Just kidding. Nothing personal just one of my corny gross jokes. She laughed at that and said it was pretty inventive. But then I explained it to her in a nut shell. it's a branch of autism that includes highly intellectual and creatively inclined individuals. would that be correct if put simply to someone not too familiar with it? I know there's nothing simple about it, in fact very complex, but that's the best way I could explain it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2011 01:10AM by experienceheals.

Date: January 20, 2011 02:07AM

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/9.12/aqtest.html

not quite diagnosis worthy, but above average.

Date: January 20, 2011 01:09AM

not sure what the T-scores mean, but I scored a 53 on the T-score from this site.

http://www.iq-tests-for-the-high-range.com/statistics/gaia.html

Date: January 20, 2011 01:25AM

Although it can't be used to make a diagnosis the test is indicating that you've got a lot of Asperger traits. :)

Posted by: Anonamouse ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 01:36AM

I am a girl with professionally diagnosed Aspergers, diagnosed since I was about 10, so almost a decade now. While I'm heading to bed, I'll be happy to answer questions tomorrow, though it might be a bit, since I work in the morning.

Posted by: Anonamouse ( )
Date: January 20, 2011 01:40AM

Oh, also, I'll try to remember to check here, but if you have questions, you can also direct them towards 'Zoi' at FLAK.

Date: January 20, 2011 02:09AM

ok, any extra insight is always good too. thanks

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.