Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: April 20, 2013 11:10PM

In a now-closed thread, http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,868170,868529#msg-868529, Mr. Foxe introduced me to "the process of projected guilt [that] is almost always unconscious. But it's the reason we look for the negative in others and feel more 'innocent' or righteous ourselves because of it."

Sooooo, I Google "projected guilt," and clicked on the first result: http://www.stumblingangel.com/projected-guilt.html

Er. Okay.

I normally start from a position that people I meet are good, kind and honest unless, over usually too much time, I realize that they're not good to have in my life or vice versa.

Can you project compassion and kindness? If so, is that as loathsome as projecting guilt? Does a person project optimism because they want to feel more guilty and unjustified?

O_o

Seriously, sometimes you just have to say that you think something doesn't make sense to you because you've thought about it, and it doesn't make sense to you. Nothing more, nothing less.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: April 20, 2013 11:17PM

I am similar to you. I like to think the best of people until they prove me wrong.

It would be interesting to know whether this is similar to projecting guilt.

Now you have me intrigued..

Date: April 20, 2013 11:32PM

Yeah, it's like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeDiARw8q78 (Depeche Mode cover) ETA: Oh, hell. I think that's not a song about interpersonal relationships. It only took me 30 YEARS to figure that out.

But back to Deepak and others imparting wisdom and charging for it...

Should someone who thinks they have a message to impart that would improve people's lives and "make the world a better place" charge a fee?

Surely there's no price tag on helping others. :/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2013 12:18AM by Beth.

Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: April 20, 2013 11:33PM

There should be no price tag. Improving the world is to all our benefit :)

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: April 21, 2013 05:16AM

I work to help improve the world, but I gots ta get paid...

Date: April 21, 2013 05:27AM

Wrong answer!

heh

Posted by: ripley ( )
Date: April 20, 2013 11:42PM

Perhaps Mr. Foxe was projecting guilt when he suggested that you might be projecting guilt?

While I agree that projecting guilt is a bad thing. I have to say that this would only be one reason why someone might see bad in a person they don't know that well. We learn by observing and categorizing which is very important to survival. Fire = burn... don't stick your hand in the fire! As you pointed out, big egos and status usually = big libidos... and for anyone who has been burned by someone with those characteristics all the warning bells are going off.

Anyone that comes across to me as super perfect and righteous gets immediate suspicion and I can tell you that's not projected guilt 'cause I've never been guilty of either of those things!

Date: April 20, 2013 11:48PM

or determine that they aren't flags at all.

So, I go with the positive, often to my detriment. I'm wary, but I don't want to live in a world where I see everyone as a threat.

I'd be living in a dystopian nightmare if I started from a position of "people suck." Let them prove it first.

ETA: You got me smiling.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2013 11:50PM by Beth.

Posted by: The Incredible Mr. Foxe ( )
Date: April 21, 2013 05:46AM

everyone does, always. Guilt has created the world as we know it, the world we "see." Even perceiving an "other," or something different from "me," is move OF guilt...which subtly generates more guilt. (And the Primal Guilt we have is the presumption that we're separate or apart from God/Wholeness, a cast-out.)

Guilt is the reason we have a subconscious to begin with, why we're not fully aware of even our own processes. And it's reinforced by each fleeting thought of non-acceptance of another, anything unloving, which we quickly put out of our minds--well, we delude ourselves that we get rid of it: we actually just push it down to the toxic landfill of the subconscious. Superficially, everything looks clean--as a whitewashed tomb.

Date: April 21, 2013 06:08AM

Maybe I'll understand what you wrote in the morning. I'll sleep on it and let my subconscious do the work. :)

ETA: GAH! Response in the wrong place! Serenity now!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2013 06:10AM by Beth.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.