Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Infinite Dreams ( )
Date: April 21, 2013 12:54AM

We've all seen it, we all have stories of it. Converts getting away with stuff that any BIC would be excommunicated for. When I was in YW, convert girls in trouble were nurtured & coddled by the YW leaders, but any BIC girl who was in trouble was slut shamed, disfellowshipped, & just generally treated like dirt. After all, because they were BIC, they were supposed to know better.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: April 21, 2013 09:13AM

On the other hand, my convert DD was dumped by a guy she had dated pre-mission after he returned because as a RM he could do better than a convert wife. At least that is what his mom convinced him of.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: April 21, 2013 10:39AM

I have heard that story before.

Posted by: memyself ( )
Date: April 21, 2013 10:23AM

As a convert of less than 2 yrs (HELL) They coddle for awhile then they showed their true colors..asswipes!...If they are so much better, why so many anti-depressants..why are so many overweight..gossiping, judging hags!

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: April 21, 2013 10:38AM

Converts are so special in the beginning...my convert daughter was lovebombed by 25 kids and I am not kidding. She could do not wrong...she was so beautiful, kind, caring and they just "loved" her. Carloads of kids came to my house. When she first told them she was not going to convert many wks later only three kids stayed around as her friend and they had been friends two yrs. already.

Unfortunately my daughter let these fake people back into her life 7 months later. And again....they just loved her. And this time one of the lovebombers was her future husband who they also tried to get active again....he had fallen astray. And the rest is history. Marriage...then three yrs. later she converted and now she gets all kinds of JOBS given to her by TSSC and her son is a sunbeam now and she claims she is so proud. What is up with all that anyway. I continue to just think this is all a nightmare.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: April 21, 2013 10:35AM

Every mistake or shortcoming was "evidence" they were somehow less than BICs, who received a lot of slack simply because they happened to be born to Mormon parents who were born to Mormon parents who were born to Mormon parents...

Posted by: Helen ( )
Date: April 21, 2013 11:29AM

Stray Mutt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Every mistake or shortcoming was "evidence" they
> were somehow less than BICs, who received a lot of
> slack simply because they happened to be born to
> Mormon parents who were born to Mormon parents who
> were born to Mormon parents...

I had moved to SLC about a year and a half after my baptism, I was a convert from eastern Canada.

One Sunday shortly after I arrived in SLC I was invited to the Bishop's home for dinner.

Naturally the conversation was about anything Church.

The family that had invited me were all gushy about how cool it was that I was a convert and that I was a RN working at the Lord's Hospital....PCH.

Then the conversation got to missionaries and missions and the Bishop's wife started in about how boys and girls needed to marry boys and girls born into the church. Everyone nodded in agreement with her.

I was sitting there as this 23 year old young woman who had just graduated and was starting my nursing career; I felt proud of what I had accomplished.

However, the message I got from that was that I was not good enough to marry a BIC man, I was a convert.

Thus began my learning the meat after the milk.

Posted by: omreven ( )
Date: April 21, 2013 02:02PM

Converts are pretty much treated like second class, aren't they, being kind of a slacker in Heaven and being placed in a nonMormon home?

This is interesting. Outside of the initial love bombing that occurs pre-baptism, I have never heard that converts are treated better or differently.

Posted by: Infinite Dreams ( )
Date: April 21, 2013 06:08PM

Posted by: toto ( )
Date: April 21, 2013 06:23PM

Maybe it's the person? As a convert, I never felt I was treated differently than members BIC. There wasn't any "trial period" or anything. I was picked up, swooped into callings, and ran from there.

If anything, I was treated differently as a woman. But that goes without saying; the Priesthood rules over all. Funny, but my mission district teacher apologized to me when I entered the MTC. He told me, "I'm sorry that sisters can't be given leadership positions, you would make a perfect district leader." Being the dutiful TBM I was, I told him, "But I believe in the Priesthood and have no problem with elders being in charge." Which was true. I didn't have issues with the Priesthood until I got married in the temple.

As for other converts I've met, I never thought BIC were better or worse or more capable or whatnot; I just thought we were all members in various stages of life. Should I have thought differently?

Posted by: sistersalamander ( )
Date: April 22, 2013 01:26AM

As a convert, I was looked down upon and treated much worse than the BICs. I got sick of hearing how being BIC was a reward for being "more valiant" or "more righteous" in the pre-mortal existence.

When I first joined TSCC as a teen girl, I had those dewy-eyed dreams of marrying an RM in the temple. Then I went to college in Utah and got a rude awakening.

Like Helen, I was also told that RMs needed to find wives that had been raised in TSCC and were properly trained to "support the Priesthood" and be perfect homemakers and mothers to future GAs and prophets. Even worse, many of the guys I knew bluntly told me they would never date or marry me for that reason. The ones who'd been on missions felt they "deserved" better.

They also wanted to make sure their future kiddies had righteous grandparents and relatives.

The general attitude was that converts could not be as strong or faithful as BICs.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.