Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: rogermartim ( )
Date: April 22, 2013 05:57PM

...leave the cult?

I seem to see an equal mix of folks on RfM, but do wonder who is more inclined to stay behind.

With men, the excessive duties of attending church activities would be a turn-off for me.

How about he women with their less than equal status in the Mormon church? I would think that would be an equal turn-off.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: mia ( )
Date: April 22, 2013 06:00PM

I think it's more difficult for women.
If they don't work, and have children, their social life gets very wrapped up in church.

If they leave, them and their children may lose all of their friends and all of their social life.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: April 22, 2013 06:21PM

I think it depends on the individual and the overall situation.

If a woman has followed the morg plan for a lifetime, she might not have much in her life except the church. That would make it harder for her.

A man might have trouble giving up the feelings of having priesthood power and leadership in God's kingdom. It might be especially hard for a man who has a hum-drum job and who gave up opportunities to go on a mission and marry young.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: April 22, 2013 10:26PM

DW says only men leave the church. From anecdotal evidence here, it would seem that it's more like the women who at least feel the need to leave.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: April 22, 2013 10:52PM

So many factors: BIC,convert, active, inactive, long heritage, none, male, female, kids, no kids, family dynamics,and on and on.

I think it's easier for men, for many reasons. Women tend to have a stronger emotional bond that keeps their testimony alive and have a lot more to lose at certain times of their life.

The environment makes a difference also. A strong heritage, and living in Mormon country as a BIC totally immersed in all of the traditions, etc, would make it more difficult, for men or women, I think.

It's easier if the whole family leaves together, I think.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.